• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800 Ultra anyone?

Permabanned
If I had a working SLI motherboard I would buy one. I have an old eVGA 8800 Ultra under my bed at the moment along with 2 volt modded 7900GT's

Maybe I will find a cheap 780i board somewhere?

Associate
Used to be a good section for a bargain here & there but now its just ridiculous.

This. Now'days the stuff on there is either more expensive than the non clearance stuff, is significantly more expensive than the equivalent stuff, or only a couple quid cheaper if B grade. I think it's been neglected to be honest, it looks like a dump where they put old stuff and never look back :rolleyes:

Soldato
i paid about 400 near 500 quid for this card last christmas might even have been 2 christmas's ago now,,

Think I paid around £390 for mine but that was a long while back, still hurt a bit though...but it didn't stop me. :D

Yea a couple years ago i paid £360 for mine! Best card out there it was, my e peen had never been so large haha now there merely used for physixs,

funny how technology changes so rapidly

Soldato
Yea a couple years ago i paid £360 for mine!

That's how much I paid for my 8800GTX.. I still use it in the bedroom PC for some light gaming sessions, and watching films, it still runs pretty much most games at 1440x900 without any issues.

Although some things in the Clearance Lines is ridiculously priced, there can still be some good deals to be had there, that's where I got my 280GTX at the start of this year, I paid £209 iirc, which was a great price at the time for this card.

Caporegime
Every now and then somebody will pop in there and alter the prices and then they sell quick.

However, I have always found that graphics cards are always put in there at silly prices based on what they first sold for yet psu's, monitors etc are priced right and bargains can be had.

I got a half priced 1000W ocz psu and £100 off a NEC 24GMX3 monitor recently.

Associate
I love my 8800GTX. don't get why people are bashing them. OK they aren't great value compared to cards now, but thats because they are over 2 yrs old. Mine plays everything I've tried happily at 1920x1200. Keep thinking of upgrading, but so far haven't found a reason why, short of cutting power consumption...

Soldato
I think it's been neglected to be honest, it looks like a dump where they put old stuff and never look back :rolleyes:

Sounds about right :) i often look in there hoping to see a true bargain but often the stuff in there is vastly overpriced. A shame really but if they start knocking a good chunk off their prices in that section they will probably shift a lot of it fast.

Soldato
It's not just the graphics card section either, the processor section prices are screwed up.

Take a look at this quad processor in the clearence section:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 LGA775 "Yorkfield" 2.50GHz 6MB-cache
£159.99 inc VAT

And then this one that's not in the clearence section:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 LGA775 'Yorkfield' 2.66GHz 6MB-cache
£145.99 inc VAT

Given that the Q9300 in the clearence section yes is the rarer one, why would anyone opt for that one when you can get the Q9400 which is slightly faster, cheaper, and more available?

Associate
3 of these should give similar performance to a 5870, I feel like buying one just cos its an ultra, they were godly in their day, I only had the measly 8800GT back then. Should run PhysX well :)

Back
Top Bottom