AM3 Cooler mount orientation

Associate
Ive got these items on order atm:
Untitled-3.jpg

This motherboard uses the AM3 socket and from my experience that cooler mount is pretty limited.
I want to mount a tower cooler on that board so that it works with the cases air flow, which I think is going to cause me some issues.

Can I take the mount off the board and rotate it 90 degrees then reinstall it or will I need to look around for different coolers?

Cheers :D

EIDT: just looked at the pic and those screws dont look like rotating it will be possible. Anyone got suggestions on coolers then?

Associate
Tower in PC-V35x ? Not going to happen. Maximum you can get there is Scythe Ninja Mini, Scythe Shuriken, Thermalright SI-128, Thermalright AXP-140, Noctua NH-C12P.

Those are your best options for this case, the best choice is either AXP-140 or NH-C12P. With NH-C12P mounting kit you could rotate the cooler - if you would have enough place which you don't have btw.

Associate
OP
That case can fit sub-120mm towers. Which you know. As you suggested a few to me ...
As I said I want a tower cooler that will work with the case cooling, so the NH-C12P isnt a good shout. And why would I want to rotate that anyway?

Anyone with experience of these chips knows they dont need a massive cooler. Im looking for something around the £20 mark that will avoid the stagnant air generated by the stock coolers and help exhaust.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Get a True, they mount whatever way you want.

Dont know any cheaper ones that mound how you want, possibly titan fenrir?

Now neither of those would fit. The case is pretty low on space as the PSU mounts just above the cooler.
Pics at the bottom of this page show it pretty well.
Its not so much an issue with the coolers as AMDs mounting design. Think Ive figured a way around it though - will wait till I get everything together and I can see for certain :)

Associate
BIGBC, there is just one that fits your requirement - Scythe Mini Ninja. That's all, there are no more options if you want a tower cooler.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031834458&postcount=68

Btw, "I want to mount a tower cooler on that board so that it works with the cases air flow" is the funniest thing to say about this case. This case has NO airflow (yes, i had PC-V350). It is absolutely irrelevant what kind of CPU cooler you have, there will be allways a fight for air between CPU cooler and PSU fan - if you use a tower cooler then you block most of the PSU fan intake, if you use a top-down cooler then both fans will run against each other.
Another problem is are HDD racks - if you have a graphics card which generates a little more heat, then i suggest you not putting it in the HDD rack, but rather put it in 5,25" bay through some sort of mount mechanism.

FYI, this is how NH-C12P looks in this case :
p1000614small.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would get a fan that operates in the form of stock, just with heatpipes, will do fine. thinking about it, getting a heatpipe stock cooler, about as good as an AC64.

Its the blow on the motherboard type that I want to get away from. As the case has no active exhaust above the motherboard back-plate there is nothing to help the warm air out, so you get the stagnant air cycles. I think I should have an alternative lined up.

BIGBC, there is just one that fits your requirement - Scythe Mini Ninja. That's all, there are no more options if you want a tower cooler.

Yeah cheers for the suggestion but Im gonna go for one of the other options.

Yeah your edit doesnt change anything. Ive seen the inside of the case a few times already. Of course the case does have airflow - in through the front (2x120mm fans) out through the back (80mm + PSU fans). To put a cooler like that Noctua in there is a really retarded thing to go and do as it means the fan and the PSU fan are fighting against each other. Now that really throws off all air flow.

Again, thanks for the input but your really not helping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom