Could this cause another 'Falklands'

Man of Honour
OP
What if we threatened to pull our forces out of Afghanistan to focus on protecting the Falklands?

That's just tough isn't it! Plus, our forces in Afghanistan & Iraq are mainly land based forces now. Army soldiers in armoured vehicles etc etc.

Any likely Falklands involvement will be more Royal Navy & RAF based, with limited ground personnel required.

Soldato
Long live Thatcher - 19 years after leaving office and she's still saving this country from the mess of Labour governments.

This is a massive discovery and if it comes into fruition may well stop the UK going bust or at least save the younger generation and our children and grandchildren from the financial hangover that lies ahead caused by Brown & co.

Associate
Nuke Argentina.

I hope you are just too young and not wise enough. This action would be mean instant kick from any organization (UN, EU, NATO,...), economical embargo of UK (ano no, not just USA as someone wrote here, but rest of the world too) and we can continue.

Wars do happen, use of nuclear force in any form have a lot bigger consequences than a conventional war. You can't just drop a nuke on someone and expect the rest of the world do nothing with that.

Soldato
I think the UK has learnt from their mistakes, we would never let them take the islands in the first place as defences have been significantly beefed up. They were essentially defenseless in 82.

This. There's over 2000 troops stationed there, the latest SAM technology and Euro fighters. I doubt they would even need reinforcements. :p

Soldato
I didn't know they'd been replaced. In that case what the hell of Argentina got to threaten Eurofighters, their air force is still is using 80's eras aircraft man of which haven't been well maintained. They'd almost be better off throwing paper planes at us.

At least the boys in the Eurofighters would be having a good time. I can just imagine the self recorded YouTube videos now..

"Me and my buddies taking out the Argentine Air Force, one sunny Sunday afternoon".

Soldato
Actually, the UK is less equipped now to fight another Falkland's War than it was in the 80's. That's what happens when the defence budget is constantly slashed, and ships are mothballed.

The Argies, may be worse off than us technically, but the fact that they are geographically much closer to the Falklands than we are does give them an advantage. Simply put, their supply lines are shorter. That means they can hold out much longer than us if it turns into a war of attrition.

tl;dr: don't underestimate the Argies.

There's no possible way it could turn into a war of attrition though, we would have air superiority in the first few hours. 80's fighters vs Euro fighters :/ They would shoot them down over the horizon. Might as well throw stones.

Back
Top Bottom