Local trailer thief gets caught out badly

Soldato
No links to press articles but just sharing story from not far from where I live. A guy had trouble with losing a lot of flatbed trailers so he came up with the idea of burying hooks into concrete bollards in the ground and chaining up the trailers.

Just the other night somebody else decided to try and nick another of the trailers. He hooked up his getaway jeep, sped off quickly. Everything was ok until the long length of chain finally tightened up and the jeep stopped dead and the guy went through the front windscreen! Has been in hospital since! Finally some justice to some of these scum!

Man of Honour
haha thats how it should be done, although it wouldnt surprise me if they now and try charge the guy whos owns the trailer for something daft

Soldato
Tbh the bloke who tied his trailers down really hasnt done anything that the law can see wrong surely? Its his trailer on his land chained to the ground. Its not dangerous in any way so there really cant be a case

Soldato
Yeah I'm struggling to see how the trailer owner could get in trouble over this. He was simply securing the trailer on his own land. The only thing I can think of is that the chain might be unnecessarily long, but I'd be surprised if there's a legal maximum length of chain you're allowed to use.

I AM surprised that the car stopped dead though, I would have thought it would just rip the towball off the jeep.

Soldato
OP
I think he had the concrete hooks in the ground and then attached to some concrete weights for his tractor too. Probably would have ripped the towball off though but he'd already have been on his way out the window!

Soldato
Why would the thief go full steam ahead - quick enough to put him through the windscreen - to remove the trailer until he had taken the strain or put tension on the chain?? Doesn't make sense to me. Good idea to rip the back end of your car off?

Soldato
mythbusters tried to rip the axle of a car with a cable but the car just stopped, they had to cut through almost all the metal connecting the axle to the car.

trailer owner will prob get punished for not having a sign saying the trailer are chained to the ground.

Waste of a hospital bed.

also this

Soldato
OP
Why would the thief go full steam ahead - quick enough to put him through the windscreen - to remove the trailer until he had taken the strain or put tension on the chain?? Doesn't make sense to me. Good idea to rip the back end of your car off?

Probably didn't notice the chain and thought it was time to make his high speed getaway. He won't be doing the same thing in a hurry! Awful lot of trailers and diggers and quads going missing these days. All the ATM robberies in NI are kicking off big time.

Last edited:
Commissario
trailer owner will prob get punished for not having a sign saying the trailer are chained to the ground.

I doubt it, it's reasonable to assume that anything like a trailer may be secured, the owner had not done anything that could be construed as likely to cause harm to someone operating legally or taking reasonable care themselves.

Unlike things such as setting traps which will get people who may just be walking in the area/touching a door, or putting glass on the wall etc.

As mentioned about the only thing that might be questioned is the length of the chain and the easy explanation for that is that you didn't want to break the chain down as it had other uses/might be used to secure multiple items.

Back
Top Bottom