CM-690 watercooling: Redux

Associate
Ok gents, not a build log as such, more a rebuilding of my current rig.

At the start of the year I decided to watercool on a budget, not for Xtr33m performance, for quietness. This meant cooling both CPU and GPU (Q6600 and GTX280 respectively).

My results were good, temps and noise way down, but the aesthetics of it were, well, judge for yourselves:

DSC004962.jpg

It did the job but was cumbersome and ugly.

Some changes were needed.

Number one on the agenda was to move the rad inside, not a simple feat with a mid tower case. Second was to just tidy up the looks a little.

The first step was to gut the case.
DSC00629-1.jpg

Next I had to decide where to mount the rad, the roof seemed like the best bet. The trouble is that the roof of the CM-690 is a double layer, with the steel top of the chassis and then a plastic/mesh facia placed on top.
DSC00630-1.jpg

Removing this top panel showed:

The steel roof I'd have to mount the rad on...
DSC00632.jpg

and the mesh/plastic facia I'd have to butcher...
DSC00633.jpg

Much banging and clattering later I had the facia cut out to house the rad
DSC00636.jpg

and then placed everything on top of the case to see how it looked
DSC00637.jpg

Things were looking much neater now, but not quite good enough, cue the obligatry black sprayed interior and not so obligatory rear exhaust fan grill removal.

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

Before showing the pics of the finished article I'd just like to take a minute to list a few hardware changes which took place between the original build and the revised edition:

Mobo - Sold the P5Q deluxe and replaced with with a Maximus formula (flashed to Rampage formula) as I was offered a good price for the P5Q and got the Maximus at a steal.

RAM - the 4x1GB 800mhz was sold and swapped for a more convenient 2x2gb 1066mhz at a cost of about £1.

PSU - Swapped the 650 for the modular 620 for a profit.

HDD - I'm now running off a 7200 RPM laptop drive rather than desktop drive in an effort to cut down on noise (SSDs can't drop in price soon enough!).

Anyway, here are a few pics of the result:

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

DSC00751.jpg

DSC00752.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with it now, though I can still think of a few things to improve it. Namely braiding the bare cables and replacing the noctua.

***I'd just like to say sorry for the picture quality, my camera has bitten the dust so my poor old phone had to do it's best.***

Associate
Looks miles better! Im using black tubing at the mo, goes quite well with the black interier doesnt it :)

You going to get a rad grill or somthing for the top or just leaving it as a bare rad? Just thinking it may protect it a bit, could easily bend all the fins and such if you just knocked it as it is.

But yea, on the whole, looking pretty nice man, good work

Associate
OP
Thanks very much! With regards to the rad I forgot to mention that I have some mesh on order which matches the mesh on the front of the case, I'll be making my own grill in due time.

Soldato
I know NOTHING about water cooling, but it's something I'd love to have a go at. It looks totally sleek, and the (very near) silence is very appealing.

Common question I bet, but how much does a setup like that cost? I have two GTX260s, 3HDDs on a 680i mobo. Are there any case/kit combo things?

Associate
OP
The CPU block was £20, radiator was £35, pump was £30, res £10, GPU block was a freebie I managed to scrounge and then about £15 for pure water/tubing/fans/barbs.

However, I was lucky with what I managed to find on offer or second hand to get those prices. For a custom loop like this paying RRP you're looking at about £250 for CPU and one GPU.

Swiftech used to make (possibly still do but OCUK don't stock them anymore so I can't link you) a kit which, although basic, was a very good introduction to watercooling as it contained decent components and required some assembly. I nearly went down that route myself.

A popular choice nowadays is the all-in-one Corsair H50, people on here seem to love it. I'm not too keen myself but don't let that colour your judgement, I'm hardly a watercooling expert, it's just personal preference. I just find the fact that in the last few months people have viewed it as soon kind of revelation, when in actuality they've been around for years under different names an never been taken seriously. All of a sudden Corsair re-release it and everyone loves it.

But like I said, pay no notice to me, I'm just an overly cynical young man.

If watercooling was something you're serious about looking into then these forums can be a great help. A good place to start is this thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17803239

Soldato
Yeah I've been looking at the H50, but I'd want the full H20 shibang :D It looks so cool :D

(^ I don't even have a case with a window lmao)

Soldato
280 full cover block as a free-be - nice work :)
Looks a million times more expensive that the build cost :D

Good work, you must be really pleased with it and thanks for shairing it was us.
Budget builds are so much better that £2k builds imho.
Both have there place - but mod's are about adding value without splashing the cash

Soldato
Big improvement mate! Definately need to get some braiding done though. :p

I have that PSU, planning on braiding extension cables for it though.

Associate
Impressed with the workmanship I was concerned in regards to the rad being exposed on the roof till you mentioned about some new grilles for it. Very nice and tidy!

Back
Top Bottom