Clio 197 - Tell me more.

Associate
So, my other thought is the Clio 197. I've always loved hot hatches and from what I can tell the 197 won't disappoint. My only concern is that interior, it really is pretty poor looking.
I know that some seem to come with Recaros but holding out for one of those might mean waiting ages. Anyone know how common/rare they are? Was it some sort of special edition or just an optional extra?

Any owners on here? Got any tips for me? (while I read copious amounts of threads on Cliosport)

I've got one, and have owned it for around 18 months now, bought when it was just under a year old. It's a black 197 (full fat, not the cup), with the optional Recaro seats, factory tinted rear windows and the optional white alloys. Looks very nice, almost understated with no decals, spoiler, or anything that stands out in a bad way.

Recaro's are great, but the material they're made from wears very very badly, and the bolsters can get worn badly easily. Mines worn very badly, although the seat base is being replaced under warranty. Think they were a £7-800 option when new, quite rare. I actually thought the interior wasn't too bad for a small car - decent quality and quite grown up compared to it's rivals, no rattles either.

Reliability - 18 months, lots of miles, 0 problems. Fuel economy? 28mpg. Never much more or less.

What do I like about it? It's fun, handles really well, good brakes, awesome seats, reasonably practical, rewarding to drive, looks sweet, great value for money.

What don't I like about it? It's French and will fall apart (but nothings went wrong yet), harsh ride, it's small and gets tiring on long drives, needs to be thrashed to get the performance out of it. All of these reasons is why it's being traded in over the next 2 months - I've outgrown it. However, I've got no regrets at all with the purchase.

Mine cost 11k from a dealer, with 10k miles on an 08 plate with the mentioned extras, 18 months ago.

Like spaz, anything specific, just ask. :)

Edit: Just to add, I've also owned a Focus ST (2.5T) and I prefer the Clio in almost every way.

Soldato
You drive 4-5 miles in traffic? Is there any real reason why you don't cycle? It's be cheaper, better for you, less damaging to your car, and also quicker if the traffic is heavy.

Soldato
The gearbox was revised around December 07 I believe which gives a ever so slightly longer 5th and 6th gear

AFAIK there was criticism of the 197 in that it had a very short 5th and 6th gear which made for about 4,000rpm @ 80mph and a lot of drone on the motorway.

Are you aware of the any after market tuning companies that can simply swap the cogs in the gearbox to provide a longer 5th and 6th?

Associate
AFAIK there was criticism of the 197 in that it had a very short 5th and 6th gear which made for about 4,000rpm @ 80mph and a lot of drone on the motorway.

Are you aware of the any after market tuning companies that can simply swap the cogs in the gearbox to provide a longer 5th and 6th?

The longer ratios they put in really didn't do a whole lot, it went down from about 3.5k at 70mph in 6th to about 3.2k and fuel economy barely went down either, maybe by 0.5mpg when cruising. Admittedly it did help the noise and became a lot less droney, but hardly anything to write home about.

Soldato
OP
You drive 4-5 miles in traffic? Is there any real reason why you don't cycle? It's be cheaper, better for you, less damaging to your car, and also quicker if the traffic is heavy.

I do, quite a lot, hence why I've only done 3000 miles since buying the Boxster and why my requirements include having a roof rack for my bikes :)

I still want a car though. I like cars. I live on the outskirts of town which means that buses are rare and with my girlfriend living on the complete opposite side of town so it's too far to cycle and buses are a pain.

Soldato
How about the clio trophy instead, the suspension is meant to be excellent, it was a good limited edition so should depreciate slower and it's lighter than the 197.

Associate
I have a clio trophy, bought it a couple of weeks ago. Gone from a 300bhp astra vxr and I have to say, its such a fun car to drive. Rock solid its like a go kart. Sachs coilovers as standard, recaros e.t.c. And only 500 made, 25 or so have been written off so you'll probs never see one near you.

Soldato
I do, quite a lot, hence why I've only done 3000 miles since buying the Boxster and why my requirements include having a roof rack for my bikes :)

I still want a car though. I like cars. I live on the outskirts of town which means that buses are rare and with my girlfriend living on the complete opposite side of town so it's too far to cycle and buses are a pain.

But why not cycle to work, that way you can get more of a toy for the rest of the driving which you do?

As for my suggestion, I think you should get an RX-8. Just so long as you stop the short journeys.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
How about the clio trophy instead, the suspension is meant to be excellent, it was a good limited edition so should depreciate slower and it's lighter than the 197.

I have a clio trophy, bought it a couple of weeks ago. Gone from a 300bhp astra vxr and I have to say, its such a fun car to drive. Rock solid its like a go kart. Sachs coilovers as standard, recaros e.t.c. And only 500 made, 25 or so have been written off so you'll probs never see one near you.

No coilovers pal, the fronts are adjustable but only on stiffness and the rear are not adjustable at all. My brother picked up one on the weekend for £7000and it is MINT. I think you would have more fun in a trophy than a 197, when ive driven 197s they have just felt well not the complete package.

I would strongly reccomend test driving one mate :)

Associate
No coilovers pal, the fronts are adjustable but only on stiffness and the rear are not adjustable at all. My brother picked up one on the weekend for £7000and it is MINT. I think you would have more fun in a trophy than a 197, when ive driven 197s they have just felt well not the complete package.

I would strongly reccomend test driving one mate :)

Ye adjustable dampening on the front. Thought that was a coilover myself, my bad.

Soldato
OP
I've never been a fan of the Megan but saw a black one in the gym car park tonight, actually quite liked it. The interior looked pretty decent from what I could see (Recaros etc)

I'll take a trip to the Renault dealer this weekend, try both out and see if either suit my needs.

Man of Honour
The Trophy has super amazing trick Sachs Dampers which:

a) Cost a FORTUNE
b) Make it handle like no Clio really deserves to

Soldato
Can someone briefly explain the difference between the normal 182 and the trophy please? Is is just suspension, alloys and seats?

The trophy is based on the 182 cup and in the name of weight saving, loses xenons and climate control, but retains the air con IIRC? Also it comes with the Sachs dampers all round which does transform the handling. They can be expensive to service/replace.

Soldato
OP
Just looked on Parkers, it's got cruise control but no xenons, how odd?

What are Double optic headlights? Just a fancy way of saying "headlights"

Can xenons be retrofitted? Does it have projector headlights? (is that what Double optic headlights are?")

Last edited:
Associate
The Trophy really is awesome, had mine for nearly a year now and it never stops being fun. :D

cliotrophy.co.uk has loads of info and is very helpful.
Regarding headlights, it just has regular Clio clusters but get some Philips Xtreme bulbs in it and its rather good.
You can retrofit xenon's but it's rather expensive and I have read that it is a ball ache to do. Adds a fair amount of weight from the ballast's too.

Really great little car, I love blasting across Wales in it! :D

Back
Top Bottom