• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD cpu cooler very loud

Associate
Hi i have the AMD 955 & for now the standard AMD cooler that came with it.

I realised would be loud, but not asloud as it is. Im abit worried should not be asloud as it is.

During just the computer running it's like a small hoover noise, as soon as i run any program or game, it is very very loud and sounds like a car running.

My last gaming rig i had, i had standard intel cooler, and all though loud, not enough to annoy me. The AMD one is shockingly loud.

Is this normal, temp of computer is 31c accord to temp fan on front of case.

Soldato
During just the computer running it's like a small hoover noise, as soon as i run any program or game, it is very very loud and sounds like a car running
Hi nutter, I was gonna suggest to enable the Q-Fan feature which helps quiten down fans but it sounds like you are already using that?

I have never heard a Stock AM3 heatsink so dunno if your is normal, dunno if it should sound like a car running though! :p

Probably worth trying to figure it out, failing that there are plenty of premium heatsinks that will run silent . . .

am3baramtestbedbigwayne.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks for reply!

suggest to enable the Q-Fan feature

How would i go about doing that? I guess i could buy a new cooler, but i never thought it would be this loud, it's so loud i can't hear the tv.:eek:

Associate
OP
Im certain something aint right, it is honestly so loud when just idling. Like the cooler is running perm at 100%

But i have no clue how to check or even if i can alter anything.

Soldato
Like the cooler is running perm at 100%
You would need to restart your PC and enter the BIOS, in there should be some kinda Q-Fan feature that may help.

What motherboard are you using and did it come with a Motherboard Manual? if so have you read through it for instructions? :D

Caporegime
I would not be running a 955 with the stock cooler. What case are you in?

lol why not mine is fine not noisy and only a small overclock 3.5 but its not like the ops :D

big wayne what you using ? thinking of going h50 but it means modding my case and to be honest cant be arsed :p

Associate
OP
Ok just went into bios(bare in mind im a noob have no clue) could not find option wayne told me to do.

But wrote down what i seen

SYS FAN 1 CONTROL 100%
CPU TEMP 46Co
CPU FAN SPEED 6550RPM

So the fan is set at 100% aint it? so that reason so loud, if so what % should i move it too?:confused:

Soldato
Yes got manual, will read through it now.motherboard is MSI 770-C45.

Ok just went into bios(bare in mind im a noob have no clue) could not find option wayne told me to do

Firstly, can you find an option in the BIOS called AMD Cool 'n' Quiet, if so is it on [Enabled] or [Disabled], I am thinking if it is switched on then the Cool 'n' Quiet tech will sort your noisy fan out for you! :)

Failing that it would seem you have some manual options in the BIOS to control fanspeed, looks quite swish, see if you can learn how to use it! :cool:

nutter.jpg

Associate
OP
Firstly, can you find an option in the BIOS called AMD Cool 'n' Quiet, if so is it on [Enabled] or [Disabled], I am thinking if it is switched on then the Cool 'n' Quiet tech will sort your noisy fan out for you! :)

Just "enabled" that as was on auto. No difference at all:(

Im fed up of it for 1 night, right now i could chuck it out the window. Im also not happy with the look of the HD 5770 card(Gaming performance, I.E Tropico 3 looks awful). Everything just seems more awkward with a AMD setup.

Makes me wish i went for Intel/Nvidia set up again. I'll remember not to make same mistake twice:D

Associate
OP
Actually after another restart, has made a difference, the fan actually changes speed now, i can hear it. Still abit loud but nothing more than normal im guessing. I can put up with this for while.

Thanks for help Wayne.

Associate
Ok just went into bios(bare in mind im a noob have no clue) could not find option wayne told me to do.

But wrote down what i seen

SYS FAN 1 CONTROL 100%
CPU TEMP 46Co
CPU FAN SPEED 6550RPM

So the fan is set at 100% aint it? so that reason so loud, if so what % should i move it too?:confused:
Why does everyone with AMD HSF manage to hit 6k RPM? mine never goes above 3.5k even at 100%, strange.

Big.Wayne, do you recommend using a fan with the Baram, or does it do a good enough job fanless (better than stock with fan)

Soldato
do you recommend using a fan with the Baram, or does it do a good enough job fanless
I've not used the stock fan so no idea how that performs, the Pasive Baram can cope with an overclocked Propus x3 no problem, I did notice my temps jump recently since I installed a Radeon HD 4870. Will most likely need to attach a 120mm fan soon is wanting the best overclock but been running fanless for a few weeks with zero issues . . .

Back
Top Bottom