*** NEW Fractal Design Case - Coming Soon ***

Associate
Question for those who've installed a fan on the bottom: Is your fan down there as quiet as the rest of the fans? Mine is being rather clicky (in a rather annoying sort of way), and I'm not sure whether it's because of a fault or because of its orientation. (I'll take it out at some point to check, but responses from others would be useful anyway!)

Associate
Build Pics!

I promised y'all build pics once I'd finished, so here goes!

1. The mess around the back:

50D_2009_12_17_1984.JPG

2. The tidy side:

50D_2009_12_17_1985.JPG

3. Close-up of the NH-D14:

50D_2009_12_17_1986.JPG

4. Hard drives:

50D_2009_12_17_1987.JPG

5. Another view:

50D_2009_12_17_1988.JPG

6. Trying to show Noctua clearance:

50D_2009_12_17_1991.JPG

With the sides on, I don't really notice the fan clicking I mentioned earlier. Overall, I'm quite impressed by the case (and, in fact, my entire build :D).

Associate
A little update here (+1 HDD, +SATA controller, +TV card) :

fractal200912171024.jpg

HDD temps are still suprisingly good considering there are just 2 fans running at minimum speed with the included controller :
Code:
/dev/sda: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1: 39 °C
/dev/sdb: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1: 39 °C
/dev/sdc: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1: 40 °C
/dev/sdd: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1: 45 °C
/dev/sde: SAMSUNG HD154UI: 34 °C
/dev/sdf: ST31000520AS: 32 °C

Associate
Nice pics SBradley!...looks great :) btw, I did have a clicky Fractal fan too...but I RMA'd mine.

Thanks! :) I'll see how it goes with the fan. As I said, with the sides on, I can't really notice it, so I suspect it'll stay now. If it becomes intrusive, I'll replace it.

That looks really nice SBradley, very envious! How loud is it with a full complement of fans? Did you have to get some fan extension cables?

It's not silent, but it's certainly not very loud. It's quieter than my old PC, at least (not that that means anything to you, of course!). The hard drives are virtually inaudible. The Noctua cooler is actually the loudest part of the system (even with the U.L.N.A. adapters in place), but that's almost silenced with the sides on.

I didn't need any fan extension cables. The only extension I needed was for the 8-pin ATX cable, to get it routed round the back of the motherboard.

With the sides on, all four cores are idling at 20°C (according to Real Temp). :) (No overclocking (yet).)

EDIT: Is 20°C believable? I didn't think about until after I'd written it, but that's only a couple of degrees above ambient temperature...

Last edited:
Associate
Some pics of mine, will update when I get a better camera;)

I have replaced the blue led for a white one.
15c.png
15b.png

I7 with a Megahalem & Apaches just enough
space even with the tall patriot viper heatsink ram.
15a.png

Associate
You've removed the top plates for passive heat release only (no fans)? Re your sig: it's Fractal Design, not Fractual Design. ;)

No theres two 120mm XLF-F1254 from xigmatek at the top but they are transparent colorific blade. So you cant really see them.

I'l edit my sig oops, thanks! dont know why I keep thinking fractual lol new company never sunk into my brain yet.

Associate
As promised, here are some pictures of my computer, built in the wonderful Define R2 (see my signature for the specifications):

(Sorry about the plastic cover on the front door, I'd rather leave it on for as long as possible.)

A little update about the overclock: it's been a week since it's running at 172 * 21 = 3.6 GHz (HT on, SS on, Turbo on) at a VCore of only 1.10V and the rest on auto. It's been rock stable the whole time: 2 nights of Prime95 + LinX (in parallel) and 4 nights of H264 encoding ;). Peak core #1 temperature: 68°C (usually plateauing at 66°C). Still haven't managed to get it to 4 GHz though.

Associate
Looks really nice Roman 2K. A couple of questions:

1.) Are you using any PSU cable extenders? I was thinking of getting the same PSU/case combo...
2.) Why not get a couple of 140mm fans for the top, and then have the H50 as an intake - you should get slightly better temperatures. :)

Associate
Looks really nice Roman 2K. A couple of questions:

1.) Are you using any PSU cable extenders? I was thinking of getting the same PSU/case combo...
2.) Why not get a couple of 140mm fans for the top, and then have the H50 as an intake - you should get slightly better temperatures. :)

Thank you Josh!

1. No I'm not using any PSU cable extenders. It was a little difficult to pull the 8-pin ATX power cable through the very top hole but it's (barely) long enough. Also, the main, 24-pin one must be bent quite a bit to go around the hole and into the connector.

Everything else was fine. You can't go wrong with this PSU. Just like the case, you can feel the high quality of the product right upon opening the box. The same goes for the H50.

2. I did consider doing this, but I was afraid that removing a chunk of bitumen would create a noise leak. I might try that anyway soon (fortunately, I did buy extra FD fans :D), thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Associate
^ Does anyone have the above recommended setup? Looks a bit of a stretch through the hdd cage.. :\

You just spin the fan around so it draws cooler air into the case from the back. Presumably some of that is rising up from the graphics card(s), but it tends to show better temps.

Back
Top Bottom