Your Top 5 Photos of 2009

Soldato
Hi all.

I thought it would be fun for everyone to post their personal top 5 photos of 2009. Not necessarily which has been most popular, but ones that you like the most, for whatever reason, technical standards, a beautiful moment, sentimental value, etc.

I've personally taken more photos this year than I ever had, for many reasons, so this is going to be quite difficult, but here are my own top 5 for 2009.

I bet you all knew Helen would show up, and probably as number 1 as well. This year saw me starting to take more photos of people. It all started with Helen, who I met 10 years ago on a school bus. We didn't see each other for 10 years, but through the power of Facebook and photography, we met up again, and have now been a couple for 6 months.

I've learnt a hell of a lot about portrait photography (and I still have more to learn that I can bear to think of). Helen has been fantastically patient, and amazingly photogenic.

I like this photo in particular because I caught a perfectly natural laugh/smile from her. Whilst there are some technical issues with the image, it is still one of my favourites of her, despite not exactly showing off her one of her best assets (her eyes).

Canon 5D MkI / Canon 24-70L

This photo inspired me to start (this is day 3 because I had photos from the two previous days as well) my photo a day project (which only lasted 50 days, but was still a very beneficial little project for myself). It is something I would not normally have captured, but I had just bought a new camera and so had it at work with me.

Canon 5D MkI / Canon 50 1.8

I took this photo recently, as part of my photo a day project. Overexposed sun again (how the heck do you control this?), but I just love the final result. I love the textures and the light coming through the trees. Definitely one of my favourite from the year.

Canon 5D MkI / Canon 24-70L

I like this because it was my favourite shot from my very first wedding experience. I was helping out Helen's friend who was getting married on a budget. I felt extremely nervous, but they were very happy with the results from the day. This one I liked in particular.

Canon 40D / Canon 17-55IS

I just like this one. I sold my 10 stop ND filter earlier this year, and then ended up buying another. I plan to do much more long exposure seascape work (especially as Helen lives by the sea, so I have more excuses to go that way now :))

Canon 5D MkI / Canon 24-70L / B+W ND110

So, what are your top 5 of 2009? Let's see them :)

Caporegime
Hey, you know what, i had the exact same idea last night, but i'd thought i would wait until next week before starting a thread.....have a wedding on Sunday...but now its predicted snow !!!

Could be ruined by the snow but i am not going to fight it but embrace it ! (just got to remember to over expose by a stop...to compensate.

Soldato
Good call, however iv only recently just really got around to doing much photography, so here's some more of the recent stuff iv done:

4144133691_2fa5f8e97d_b.jpg

4170103120_c5dec863a5_b.jpg

4154370676_f4c87afdd0_b.jpg

4182287287_858264ac50_b.jpg

4043116623_17d589b0c3_b.jpg

Soldato
1. Had a great few days on Skomer Island with a load of guys (And girls) from TalkPhotography. Loved my time there, and this is one of my favourite images from the trip.
20090719155508_dsc_7320-edit.jpg

2. In the summer I had a week in Paris with my GF. First time to Paris and had a great time. This shot of the Sacre Coeur took a few attempts to get the light I wanted and without people in the forground. I am happy with the result.
20091101152905_dsc_0355-edit.jpg

3. This little ****** gave me the runaround for weeks on end. A lot of very early mornings paid off in the end, and got me the shot I was after. I have a nice big print of it on my office.
20090702085547_dsc_6315-edit.jpg

4. Another one of my long term hit list subjects were banded demoiselles. I have rarely seen them, but was told about a spot where I might be able to find them. Sure enough, there were about 10 pairs within a 30 foot square. Managed to get this pair mating.
20090616214818_dsc_5150-edit.jpg

6. Probably my favourite moment of the year, and one of those moment that is likely to stay with me the rest of my life. I had been watching this pair of Ospreys on their nest for a few days. Got up before sunrise and got myself comfy at a respectable distance. The sun slowly rose, leaving frost on the ground and a mist over the loch. Just as the sun broke over the horizon and hit the top of the dead tree, this beautifull bird flew towards me, landed about 50 foot and perched for 30 seconds in the golden light. Magic!
20090504205328_dsc_0165-edit.jpg

7. One of the few landscapes I am happy with this year. Sits nicely alongside some of my other work and is hopefully going in an exhibition soon.
20090328160334_dsc_8694_edit_edit-edit.jpg

So that is my year. When I opened this thread, I was thinking I haven't done much photography this year, but looking back I am actually quite happy with what I have done and shot. May everyone have another good year of toggin' :)

Soldato
great thread, some really amazing work here, we have a lot of talented people on these boards. Mk number 4 is a stunner.

This year i discovered macro photography and it pretty much took over all other forms of photography for me. Befor i obviously had an intest in photography and some times thought id taken a good picture but i had no real passion for the subject (if that makes sense)
Im quite fascinated by all sorts of creepy crawlies (yeah im weird) and being able to see such small critters in great detail i think is pretty cool.
I've still got masses to learn about macro work but am really looking forward to the warmer months again so i can get out and keep practising, i've discovered a real passion for macro work.

1/ one of my favorite fish shots, i like the colours, and think the bubbley oof area really makes the picture different.
platie01.jpg

2 Althought there really common this was one of the first butterflies i photographed with my macro lens, i chased it around for a good 30 mins befor it was so tired it sat still on the twig and let me get a good few shots befor it fluttered away again.
commonbluebutterfly.jpg

3 just because there so damn hard to come by and how small it was, i was pleased with the detail from this shot. the jumping spider was no more than 2mm in lengh.
jumpingspider05.jpg

4 just because it was my favorite fish in the tank :)
discus02.jpg

5 my first attempt at capturing fireworks.
worthingfireworks01.jpg

Caporegime
Some stunning photos in this thread, as expected tbh. :p

I've been a bit out of photography for the last few months, the last time I really picked up the camera was in September, mostly to do with moving back home and away from any decent scenery and the lack of going anywhere interesting I think, never really been in to taking photos in the house. Hopefully I'll go out again when the snow arrives. With that in mind all my shots are from January to June.

1. Just qualifying for this thread, the first snow of the year (not the one that caused chaos, I missed that entirely) and my local church on January the 5th. I think the extreme distortion really adds to the photo.

3170654230_a0587d557c_o.jpg

2. Skip to May, something I have wanted to photograph for a while, Bluebells, not as many as I wanted but still a favoured shot!

3516111048_0f082f217d_o.jpg

3. June, taken at Seatown when I and a couple of friends went fossil hunting, it was lovely and hot and sunny and this shot sums up everything I think about when I think about quiet, quaint British beaches, the upturned boats, shingle and cliffs and the old couple sitting on deckchairs and eating ice creams. :D

3595661378_bdfa511cda_o.jpg

4. June, now on to my SWCP walks, there were loads of photos I could have chosen for these but this one is the best of the first trip for me. Some people may not like the bag but it reminds me of what I was doing, I was walking and wild camping (in fact in the next bay along) not just pulling up in a car for the shot.

3613621611_2b13813940_o.jpg

5. June, Cross Combe, my second outing along the coast path, again the highlight of that trip (although it was close between this and a stoat photo as well as another couple of seascapes). Looking at those photos again reminds me as soon as the weather gets warmer I need to go do some more walking along the SWCP (or abroad)!

3633408343_2d64e40ce0_o.jpg

Soldato
I only started photography late summer this year, having had naff hand me down cameras I decided enough was enough and got myself a DSLR - haven't looked back since really! Still on a steep learning curve but heres my 5, mostly in progression throughout the year:

1. Nikon D40 with 18 -55mm

Nothing particular about this one, was one of the first pics I really liked and I think at this point had only had the camera a couple of days, if i remember correctly this was shot on auto / jpeg! Looking at it now its not that great but I really liked the timing

DSC_0086.jpg

2. Nikon D40 with 18 - 55mm

Lovely sunny day so went for a walk around a park with my girlfriend, lets of bugs and things about and was quite pleased with this shot with the kit lens, nothing special about it really but liked what i got compared to the P&S I used to have before

DSC_0477.jpg

3. Canon 450D with 18 - 55mm IS

First competition entry on here with this, received some negative crit for the harsh colours used - PP was a rush job and just desaturated all colours, cropped and jpeg'ed it - will be going back to make a nicer job of it and post up to see peoples thoughts on the differences, definately a highlight for me though as I didn't come last with it :p

IMG_0573.jpg

4. Canon 40D with 50mm 1.8

Not sure why I like this picture, i think the colours just came out right for me, would have preferred having the right side in frame as well but it kind of leads into it, have tried recreating the pic on other frosty mornings (walk past this bench every morning on way to work!) but it just doesn't come out right

IMG_5478_filtered_edit.jpg

5. Canon 40D with 50mm 1.8

First real go at a bit of long exposure to get a nice water effect, tried previously when i was rather new to photography and didn't quite get it right, this came out nicer, wish it could have been sharper but was done on minimum aperture, quite like the water result even if the picture isn't that great

IMG_5678-2_resize.jpg

Thats mine guys :)

Nothing special but a progression and learning techniques, PP etc

Scary - Love your pics though i do prefer the first one in colour, the colour contrast of the bench you got was amazing!

Saying that, do love all the pictures in this thread, amazing work :D

Back
Top Bottom