iRacing photo comparisons

Associate
For those that don't know (although most probably do), iRacing is a subscription based PC racing simulation that provides a variety of racing series on a number of laser scanned tracks.

The laser scanning aspect fascinates me. I remember a huge step up in track fidelity with GPS scanning (before GPS, simulation tracks were terrible!). My first experience with GPS tracks was probably in one of Geoff Crammonds F1GP games (I think maybe F1GP2 or GP3 started using GPS).

These days, the laser scanning picks up not just the rough geometry of the track edges, but also precise and subtle changes in camber and elevation, and more accurately even small bumps and crests that provide unique challenges to the cars. The scanners even pick up differences in paint depths on the track signage!

Anyways, enough rambling, here's some photo galleries I knocked together where I tried to recreate a rough approximation of the real world photo in the iRacing camera tools. Some are reasonable, some others are almost exact.

Hope you enjoy em!

Road Atlanta

Barber Motorsports Park (Lookout! Spiders!)

Brands Hatch

Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Mosport International Raceway

Infineon Raceway

Visit http://www.iracing.com for details on the sim.

Associate
Hey hey Sam.

Great to see your Brands comparison so quickly, theyve done a great job with the track.

Plus i think thats my Red and White Late Model in the 2nd from bottom pics entering Paddock Hill bend at Brands :)

Associate
OP
Hey hey Sam.

Great to see your Brands comparison so quickly, theyve done a great job with the track.

Plus i think thats my Red and White Late Model in the 2nd from bottom pics entering Paddock Hill bend at Brands :)

Yep!

I joined the session purely to nab some images.

The only problem was that everyone kept launching into the gravel traps and I had huge problems waiting for the dust clouds to clear!! :mad:

Soldato
Yeah, Brands came out yesterday and is utterly awesome :D

The first track that iRacing have released that I've actually been around (racing motorbikes) and it is literally perfect from what I can tell, and it was quite weird for the first few laps :)

Associate
I might also have to re-sub :) Been round Brands a few times now and have been waiting for it to appear in a decent sim. What's the closest tin-top car in iRacing to FWD 200BHP?

Associate
Just bought Brands, and downloading while I type.

Can't wait to take my Lotus 79 around this track..

Brands still gives me a huge buzz, I still remember going to the track about 5 years ago to watch BSB and standing on the top of the first corner looking down the hill and for the first time realising that it is a really steep hill, and unlike anything you can take in from the TV.

The to watch the superbikes compress as they went through the bottom of the dip was amazing.

Ok, track downloaded now, time to connect up and G25, power up the 79 and take a spin around the track.

See you all later.

Taff

Soldato
Looks great, but really couldn't justify the cost when I play my simulators only casually. Now if they did a similar thing for rally driving then that would be a different story!

Back
Top Bottom