Film camera (pentax mv)

Soldato
Hi guys,

I've got a pentax mv film camera and would like to know if it's possible to get film stock and a battery for this, and which type you would recommend? Also got a few lens with it, pentax 50mm, vivitar 58mm macro focusing zoom and a sigma 70-210mm lens, I have no idea what f stop they are though, where would I find this out? I'm trying to progress with my photography for my course (television production) and get more experience with lenses as we don't get given any additional lenses on the course (apart from a polarising lens if you really need it). Any help is appreciated.

[edit] This is the info on the len's:
vivitar 58mm, 0.9-10m/3-30ft, 100-200mm 1:4, 4-22 (I guess this is the fstop?), also has a ring which has 100-200.
pentax asahi, 2-22, .45m-15m/1.55ft-25ft.
sigma cozo uv 52mm zoom, 1:45, f=70-210mm "multi coated", 1:3.5-30ft, 4.5-32.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool.

You can usually find the maximum aperture by looking round the front lens element (sometimes it's on the barrel somewhere). For example, this lens is a 50mm f/1.4...

pentaxsmc50mmf14mf21379.jpg

As for film stock, you'll find it in local independent camera shops (yellow pages) or online. You can still get some from warehouse express I think.

Black and white - Ilford HP5 will cover pretty much everything, very forgiving film and can be pushed quite far if you want to shoot in low light.

Colour - I'm not very clued up on colour... Fuji always a good bet.

No idea what batteries you need, Is the camera fully manual? (will it work without the battery?) the battery is probably just for metering. Take it out and see if you can find a replacement online...

Soldato
Yup that's the stuff.

How well do you know your way around the camera? How to expose? etc...

Just set your camera ASA to 400, dial on the left in the picture below (sorry if I'm being patronising!)

36626046.jpg

interesting that the camera doesn't have a manual mode... From what I read, 'auto' is aperture priority, which is pretty handy though. Basically this means you set the aperture on the lens (it has a ring round it that you can spin) and the camera determines the correct shutter speed to use.

As for developing the film your uni probably has darkroom facilities, I'm sure you can get someone to help with all of that.

Failing that I had some great B&W prints from snappy snaps a couple of years ago... No idea if they still process black and white!

Finally... at £4 a film it can get expensive! If you see anyone selling out of date film for cheap (maybe look in local camera shop, they might have a bucket of the stuff!) then grab a roll or two to practice on. You could even take a film canister out of an old single use camera you've got knocking about if you just want to practice loading/unloading film etc!

Have fun

Soldato
Hi guys,
[edit] This is the info on the len's:
vivitar 58mm, 0.9-10m/3-30ft, 100-200mm 1:4, 4-22 (I guess this is the fstop?), also has a ring which has 100-200.
pentax asahi, 2-22, .45m-15m/1.55ft-25ft.
sigma cozo uv 52mm zoom, 1:45, f=70-210mm "multi coated", 1:3.5-30ft, 4.5-32.

Not familiar with vivitar or pentax...

But you've got a
vivitar 58mm f/4 (don't know what the 100-200 means)
Pentax 50mm f/2
Sigma 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 (f stop is 3.5 at 70mm and 4.5 at 210mm, varies with the amount of zoom)

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Not familiar with vivitar or pentax...

But you've got a
vivitar 58mm f/4 (don't know what the 100-200 means)
Pentax 50mm f/2
Sigma 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 (f stop is 3.5 at 70mm and 4.5 at 210mm, varies with the amount of zoom)

The 58mm bit on the vivitar is the filter thread diameter, the lens is a 100-200mm f4. The rest i would agree with.

Soldato
OP
Wow, thanks for these replies guys they're really helpful :) our uni doesn't have a darkroom, but the one across the street does and i have a couple of friends who do photography there so maybe i'll get the chance to use that, otherwise I think there's a shop here which looks like it may offer that facility. Don't worry stu, I don't think you're being patronising infact very helpful and polite aswell, I have some knowledge of exposure etc but with camcorders (mostly from using a Z1 or DVX100), so the transition to SLR is a new thing. I'm going to go into town to see if I can get some stock and batteries tomorow, will report what I find :)

Soldato
OP
That makes a lot more sense :) what sort of photography would I expect with these type of lenses, i'm assuming the 50mm for general day to day photography, of people or streets, and the 70-210mm for macro shots on plants etc, how about the 100-200mm? Would it be pointless to have this if I use the 70-210mm?

Soldato
Yep, 50mm for general purpose. It's a great length to have on the camera all the time, just remember to 'foot zoom':) It's also higher speed than the others (lets in more light) so will be invaluable for interior shots etc.

Of the two zooms you have, I'm guessing neither is a 'proper' macro lens (1:1 reproduction) maybe have a play with both of them and see which one focuses closer.

Soldato
OP
I think i'll try and get some stock and batteries tomorrow, and if possible have a play with the 50mm lens around town and parks, the kodak gold 400 film seems to get some nice colours. What do you mean by foot zoom?

Back
Top Bottom