Linksys by Cisco WAG320N-UK Dual-Band Wireless-N ADSL2 Modem Gigabit Router

Godfather
Godfather
NW-115-LS_400.jpg

Just started using the Linksys by Cisco WAG320N-UK Dual-Band Wireless-N ADSL2 Modem Gigabit Router and I cannot believe how good it is.

It is the first totally transparent Wireless router I have ever used. Ultra-fast and amazing range. Looks good too :)

If you are looking for a top class wireless router, buy one :cool:

Caporegime
The user manual suggests it won't send the magic packet itself, but it should be capable of allowing you to do it from the internet (forward port 9 to the LAN's broadcast IP and fire away). There are posts on the Linksys forum implying it won't do it though.

I'm prone to agree with Paradigm - Linksys's ADSL routers have always been awful (in contrast with their routers without a modem which fluctuate from mediocre to excellent), so if this one's good it's an exception to the rule. If your previous ones have been worse then you've bought some real lemons :eek:
About its only interesting feature is that it does Annex M, which this does not. The data sheet says something about using "port 1" (which I'm guessing is meant to be a switch port) as a WAN port too.

Man of Honour
It's a fair question, if I for some reason had to buy a consumer router I'd be fairly stumped these days. Netgear are, in my opinion, rubbish. Belkin I wouldn't touch, d-link I'm not wild about. Linksys would probably be my choice by default. Thankfully I have a pretty flawless Juniper box to use...

Caporegime
Depends what other features you want too - the choice of reasonable yet relatively inexpensive (i.e. it'll work and has a decent base set of features that aren't broken but isn't the price of an 8*7 and doesn't try to be) 802.11n routers is a good bit smaller than for 802.11g. Obviously the latter's been around for a lot longer but it's still disappointing that the trend in quality is apparently downwards.
It doesn't help that you can get some genuinely decent routers and some that couldn't legally be sold as doorstops from the same brand.

I'd probably go for a two-box setup with a WRT54GL and an ethernet ADSL modem (something like the Linksys AM200), total cost a little less but, wireless aside, you have IMO a far superior router.

Associate
i have one of these routers and so far its been superb. my old netgear dg834gt would fall over at least 4-5 times a day requiring it to be rebooted. the linksys has only been on a few days but as yet no problems. i did have a problem with tv versity and my ps3 but figured out it was due to my pc (running windows 7) putting the new router as a public network and not home network. changed it over and everything working on the ps3 instantly.
im yet to try the usb nas option but will give it a go over crimbo.

my only flaw with this router is it didnt come with some sort of stand to put it upright but thats my only tiny gripe

Associate
Consumer products for consumers! Shock Horror :)

I can't believe the snobbery about routers aimed for the home user on this forum, yet they same snobs dont seem to offer up any nicely priced alternative, they are all crap etc lol :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Consumer products for consumers! Shock Horror :)

I can't believe the snobbery about routers aimed for the home user on this forum, yet they same snobs dont seem to offer up any nicely priced alternative, they are all crap etc lol :rolleyes:

I offered my suggestions on brands for a home user.

Personally I'd rather own used Cisco kit, but then I know how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom