New 27" iMac i7 rig and gaming

Associate
Hello

Not too shure if this is teh place to post this, as it is todo with graphics performance but what the hell, if its not in the right place can a Mod please move it.

Anyway. Me and the wife are thinking of getting the new 27" iMac i7 rig with the 512mb gfx and 8gb ram, as a family pc. But, i play WoW a lot and really want to continue to play it. Will it handle it with decent framerates? On max setting? what can i expect?

Also, i have looked but cant find any comparrison sites between the iMacs and other PC based graphics cards, to see teh performance difference, does anyone know one then can link me?

Many thanks

Associate
Theres been a firmware update to improve the response and remove flickering on the new 27" screens.

Shouldn't be a problem with WOW, doesn't seem to be too demanding from what I hear.

Soldato
Hello

Anyway. Me and the wife are thinking of getting the new 27" iMac i7 rig with the 512mb gfx and 8gb ram, as a family pc. But, i play WoW a lot and really want to continue to play it. Will it handle it with decent framerates? On max setting? what can i expect?

Many thanks

I could play WoW on my MacBook with resonable settings and that was a 64MB Intel GMA945!

The 4850 will be fine for WoW but I reckon some settings would need tweaking at 2540x1440 though. Have a look at this video of WoW running on a C2d with the 4760.

http://www.youtube.com/user/newtechfan

Associate
Hear are some results of the iMac 27" running the ATI 4850. Remember these results are from games running in OSX, run bootcamp and you can expect better performance.

http://www.barefeats.com/imi7g.html

From looking at the data I think you'll find WoW will perform well in OSX or Windows.

:)

Associate
WoW was designed to run on all platforms, that means it will even run on the cruddiest shambolic excuses for pcs, laptops and netbooks :)

Soldato
WOW runs great on my 15"MBP mate thats only a 9600MGT hell if im just auctioning or leveling I run it on the built in 9400 and still get 25fps with little impact to the visuals.

Back
Top Bottom