Windows 7 Upgrade Vesion

Associate
I have a licenced copy of XP, I would like to install Windows 7 on a new blank Hard disk on the same PC, will Windows 7 Upgrade version work for me or do I need get the full version??

Cheers

Associate
OP
Ok thanks, I have the XP disc. So I can clean install Win 7 on a new Hard Disk whilst keeping XP on my existing hard disk, both on the same PC?

Cheers

Soldato
It will work but only as a clean install, you need to insert your xp disk during install to prove you have XP.

At least that was what used to happen.

That's incorrect.

You need to have a activated copy of XP installed otherwise W7 upgrade will refuse to activate with a generic incorrect product key error. You can still choose to format the drive as part of the installation if you like.

Associate
OP
OK thanks, looks like I am good to go, I have the XP disk, the actived copy of XP on the hard disk, and a brand new hard disk connected to the same machine. I'll get a an Upgrade copy on Monday :)

Soldato
Thanks, I can read.

The XP HDD needs to be in the PC when W7 is installed or it won't activate. Also bear in mind that the MBR will go AWOL if he removes or re-partitions the XP HDD.

Not so. No operating system was on my hard drive when I installed Windows 7 upgrade. No XP disc or previous installation was asked for either. The activation went through with no issues about wrong codes either.

Soldato
Ok thanks, I have the XP disc. So I can clean install Win 7 on a new Hard Disk whilst keeping XP on my existing hard disk, both on the same PC?

If you would like to dual boot Windows XP with Windows 7, then you will need to purchase an OEM or a Retail license of Windows 7. To qualify for an Upgrade license of Windows 7, you need to have a legitimate copy of an OEM or Retail license of either Windows XP or Windows Vista. Though, once you have installed Windows 7, you will no longer be able to use the previous version of Windows that you used as the qualifying product for the upgrade:

Microsoft said:
*Snip*

14. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

*Snip*

Also, depending on weather you have an OEM or Retail license of Windows XP, once you have installed Windows 7, those same licensing restrictions will then also apply to Windows 7.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Weird then as I built a PC for my uncle recenlty and installed Win7 Premium upgrade edition that I got free from MS Direct (free from buying Vista 64 HP a while back) and I installed the Upgrade edition fresh on a new HDD without any request to insert or have Vista installed beforehand.

Activated online fine too.

Associate
Typhoon,

Are you using an upgrade DVD for Windows 7 or a full retail version of Windows 7? If it is the full version, then yes, you can dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7. However, if you have the upgrade version of Windows 7 you will need a valid copy of Windows XP or Windows Vista to validate the product key activation.

For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Back
Top Bottom