• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Monitor goes into standby when launching 'some' games

Associate
I just purchased a few games on the brilliant offers on steam, the first one I downloaded was stalker - when I try to launch this game the monitor goes into standby and system does not respond, the same for a previously purchased and installed saints row2. I am using Win7-32 ultimate and my psu is a galaxy enermax 1kw, also im on 9.11 drivers for the 5850, any help is appreciated

Permabanned
First thing I'd check is that it's not a resolution issue. If your monitor can only do 1024*768 and the game defaults up to 1900*1200 the symptoms will be exactly as you describe.

Associate
OP
Monitor is a 2405fpw and supports 1920x1200@60hz - also tried running the games in windowedmodes to no avail

Permabanned
Have you tried setting your 8800GT as your primary graphics card (by disabling the 5850) JUST FOR A FEW MINUTES .. and trying getting the game going?

That way at least you start to learn if the problem is the graphics card, or the monitor itself .. (as in -- if the games work you KNOW its the card)?

Associate
Try plugging your monitor onto the other DVI connector on the card.

I say this as I used to have an iiyama 453 that had dvi and vga input.

I connected upto an ATI 9700Pro card via DVI which was the second interface on the card. Windws worked fine until lauching Unreal Tournament when monitor would go blank.

Found out by switching to the VGA input that was bing fed out via the VGA input instead as that was the first interface.

Had some similar cases in the past with games launching on the first interface of the card and the monitor attached to the secondard interface.

Back
Top Bottom