My Dad's Mamiya RB67

Godfather
Godfather
Today I took my Dad's RB67 to Johnsons Photopia for a full service and refurb. He passed away in June and left me this camera in his will at my request. It means a great deal to me to have this wonderful mechanical machine that he enjoyed using so much.

The refurb and service costs are not cheap - probably around £350 including body, 90mm F3.8 lens, 120 back and Polaroid back, but I'm very excited about taking some roll film photos with this setup.

I also have Asahi Pentax Spotmeter V and a Gossen Lunasix F exposure meters of his which are in A1 condition.

I'd be very grateful for any information from other MF users regarding film and Polaroid availability and meter usage. Also any recent photos produced via this old but very interesting medium.

Man of Honour
Edit* Should learn to read lol! You got the 120 back Lomography.com 120 films sells a lot of different 120mm films.

If you need it you can still download copies of the manual for the RB67 might be worth a read.

Am not sure how easy it is to get the Polaroid film I am struggling to get it for my Polaroid 600

Last edited:
Godfather
Godfather
OP
It's a 1982 Pro-S which was made until 1990. The Pro-SD had larger bayonet mount in order to handle some newer KL lenses.

Associate
Sorry to hear about your Dad Spie :(

The RB67 is a beautiful camera mate, a true workhorse!

Regarding film, I think I actually sent you a trust message a while back although I didn't get a reply...so I'm not sure if you got it or not?
As for Polaroid film well sadly that's getting harder to come by nowadays, especially the really great stuff (665 for instance - it gives you a positive print and a stunning negative to work from, not to mention those unmistakeable borders).

I don't have any 665 spare I'm afraid as I'm planning on using that myself, but I'll take a look and see what other pack films I have and I'll let you know o.k (it would be a real shame not to use the Polaroid back...even if it's just to proof your shots).

Enjoy your camera mate :)

diverse

Godfather
Godfather
OP
Thanks mate. Sorry I didn't pick up your trust message.

I heard Polaroid film was hard to get these days, but I'd still love to use it. I'd really like to take a lot of care over my photos as my Dad did.

I'm under no illusions that I'll be using this camera every week, but I'd really like to use it as he did and take some (hopefully) great shots :)

Do you know what roll film is available these days?

Associate
Thanks mate. Sorry I didn't pick up your trust message.

I heard Polaroid film was hard to get these days, but I'd still love to use it. I'd really like to take a lot of care over my photos as my Dad did.

I'm under no illusions that I'll be using this camera every week, but I'd really like to use it as he did and take some (hopefully) great shots :)

Do you know what roll film is available these days?

No worries!

There's still plenty of roll film available, and you can usually find bulk cartons on the bay fairly cheaply (although the price does seem to be creeping up). And of course you could always check out ichabods link.

Anything by Ilford is usually a safe bet, assuming you'd like to try shooting in B&W that is (HP5, FP4 for instance, or even XP2 - it's a B&W film that can be processed using standard C41 colour processes)

I'm sure that once you get the hang of it mate you won't want to put it down :)

I haven't used one myself for a long time now...but I think that Messiah Khan is also well versed in the art of MF Photography so he might be able to help too :) (I sent him some 120 films a while back)

Good luck with it mate :)

Soldato
Great camera and will be my next camera purchase in the new year for my studio. My friend has one and had a little go with it this year. Its a big bit of kit but the results are amazing. Also I was chatting to a guy at Mifsuds and they have heard that a company will soon be making the Polaroid film again for the Polaroid backs (purchased all the old equipment from them for making it) this is not fact thought.

Here is a shot of my friends shot on my D3

361531733056d83b846fb.jpg

Associate
Spie, I've had a look through and I do have a few spare bits & pieces :)
If you'd like to test them out with your RB67, just send me your details via trust and I'll send them off to you in the new year mate.

Here is a shot of my friends, shot on my D3

Nice shot Willis! :)

Last edited:
Godfather
Godfather
OP
Hey Diverse. Thank you mate.

Address is on our website. I'd be very grateful for any help/tips/stuff etc.

Thanks for your interest :)

Sic

Sic

Soldato
How would one go about processing roll film from something like this? I've always been super interested in cameras like this, but I haven't got the first clue of how you process it!

Kae

Kae

Permabanned
How would one go about processing roll film from something like this? I've always been super interested in cameras like this, but I haven't got the first clue of how you process it!

Chemically (unless using the polaroid back).

In complete darkness, you'd transfer the film to a developing tank, the process with developer, stop bath and a film fix. Hang to dry and voila, you have negatives!

Then you use an enlarger to enlarge the images onto photographic paper and print them... simples!

Easy to learn, a lifetime to master!

Andy.

Caporegime
Chemically (unless using the polaroid back).

In complete darkness

That's a laugh and a half....lol There's darkness and there is COMPLETE darkness. I tried that a few times and it is surreal to say the least, weird with your eyes wide open and not see a thing, not a single point of light anywhere to give an idea of orientation and doing everything by feel.

Back
Top Bottom