Best 22" monitor for gaming... Possibly 24"

pre

pre

Associate
I'm a bit out of the loop but mainly due to desk space (or rather lack of) I'm looking at options for a 22" monitor - 24" would probably me to buy a larger desk but is a possibility...

Ultimately I'm guess what I'm asking is what how best to prioritise the following with the above in mind:

Native of 1920x or 1680x
60Hz or 120hz
5ms or 2ms
2 or 3 year warranty

One other major concern is an adjustable height (not angle) stand.

Soldato
I would definitely suggest this monitor. It ticks all the above boxes and uses an e-IPS panel (Not necessarily needed for gaming, but it just makes everything look so much better :)).

If it purely for gaming, the samsung and viewsonic 120Hz screens are good, but they use TN panels - so I still can't bring myself to recommend them to you.

Soldato
just to add...the stand on the sammy 120hz is shockingly bad.
with it being a Tn panel i couldnt even see the top of the screen properly as it was slightly tilted back. at first i used some cd covers but every time someone nudged the desk a bit the monitor would wobble so i ended up buying an arm for it which cost 50-60 quid.

looks ace now :p

pre

pre

Associate
OP
Amnesia so are the benefits of 120Hz worth it over the negatives?

Lower screen res etc? Anyone have experience of the Viewsonic 120Hz over a 22" at 1920? Does 5ms vs 3ms (120Hz) make much of a difference?

Also why would I want an IPS over an TN panel gaming wise?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For gaming your much better off with a 120Hz panel - tho they still aren't as good as a crt for response... unless you really know your TFTs IPS is a bit hit and miss for gaming.

pre

pre

Associate
OP
thevet - why do you recommend that monitor? Connections? Value? Resolution? Image?
Rroff - I take it you are using a 120Hz panel? Which one?

Permabanned
I recommend the W2261VP from LG. It's absolutely incredible in games (it was designed for gaming). I would say it's perfect - I can't fault it.

HDMI
2ms
Full HD resolution, 50 000 contrast ratio, great colours and depth, what more could you ask for?

pre

pre

Associate
OP
Anyone have experience with the Dell 2209WA specifically for gaming? Apparently the Samsung 120Hz has an input lag of 15ms and the IPS 20ms. Is this noticeable? Any other noticeable blurring or input lag?

Seems to be one of the few 22" monitors with adjustable stands as welll..

Soldato
The 2209WA is excellent for gaming in my experience. I can't notice any input lag (as you say, it is around 1 frame or less) and there is no ghosting - so the response time is nice and snappy. Also, the 8 bit panel makes everything look a bit more "colourful" - difficult to explain, but if you compare the same in-game image to a TN you will see a obvious difference.

Soldato
Totally agree with the above poster. Got a W2209A meself and its simply the best monitor I've owned to date (and I've had and tried good few in the past coupla years). The crispness of the image and brightness of the colours are far superior to anything I've seen in the past, response times aren't an issue at all, no lag as far as I can see, for me, perfect for gaming. Bit on the pricey side atm, I got mine a good few months back from the clearance section here for £150inc, best buy I made afor a long time:)

Associate
The 2209WA is excellent for gaming in my experience. I can't notice any input lag (as you say, it is around 1 frame or less) and there is no ghosting - so the response time is nice and snappy. Also, the 8 bit panel makes everything look a bit more "colourful" - difficult to explain, but if you compare the same in-game image to a TN you will see a obvious difference.

i have m227wd 22" Lg 1080p. its great colours, hardly any image smear (not any to noticed unless you really stare) its got very decent blacks (couldnt be better of course) no bleed. built in freeview, 2x hdmi, component and DVI...

but im not recommending it. Personally i think 1080p 22" is too small for serious gaming needs more height. only as hegh as a 17.5" 4:3 LCD !

go for 16:9 26" or 24" 16:10

perhaps wait for 120hz screens to get bigger + feature LED at same time.

Soldato
TN panels are fine for gaming (speaking for FPS)
You're always right infront of the screen.
You're usually not admiring the scenery so 100000000% colour accuracy isn't needed.
They've got better response times than IPS.

120Hz is the way to go in fast paced games if you can make use of it by keeping your frame rate that high :)

Back
Top Bottom