HTC Hero, coming July on Orange and T-Mobile, makes me want!

Associate
is anyone using the Hero on O2 and have MMS working? It worked when i initially had the phone, then i updated it to the modaco rom and its no longer working.

Have tried the settings suggested here but they dont appear to work unfortunatly.

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=24802

Cheers,
Andy

Make sure you set the o2 MMS APN type to "mms". The other APN should then show a green radio button showing its enabled.

Associate
Make sure you set the o2 MMS APN type to "mms". The other APN should then show a green radio button showing its enabled.

Got that set already. I've 2 APN's setup, one for mobile web which has its type set to default and another for O2 MMS which is set to mms. Still fails to download or send MMS's. The green radio button shows up agains the mobile web APN.

First time i entered my SIM it downloaded the settings itself and it worked fine. Updated to the modaco rom which wiped them and after that it doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

Did the settings in that link look ok?

Associate
Stupid question, but where do picture messages I get sent, get saved when I download them. I could really do with transferringsome to my computer but for the life of me cant find them.

thanks

EDIT

Actually never mind I worked out it out in the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
And speaking of apps, does anyone use a decent Tube app? I thought I'd cracked it with London Underground (London City) but I've found an annoying problem.

If I want to travel from a station with multiple lines (i.e. Paddington, Baker Street, etc) I've got to pick which line I want to use before I can find my route - utterly pointless when I'm wanting the app to tell me what's the easiest/quickest way to travel. If I knew which line to take I wouldn't be using the bloody app!

Get me home London. TFL journey planner in a nice little app.

Associate
Im really struggling to find a 16gb micro sd card for my phone. Ive been looking for a class 6 or a class 4 but there really dont seem to be many about certainly from anywhere I would trust. Descriptions always lead me wondering if its a class 2. Is it worth getting a high class card or should I just accept a class 2 card? It will mainly be used to store all my music.

thanks

Soldato
Very happy with my hero by all means. Love the fake iphone comments I've been getting too.

Have a few issues with my t-mobile contact though:

Had to pay £4 for the delivery of phone during the first month which is fair enough. which made it £27 instead of £22.50.

Looked at my bill for December which was £52! Called up and the explained I had to pay a month in advance what they couldn't tell me is why the month in advance was during my second month. Is the month in advance always taken in the second month?

I then asked what my contract should be and the guy told me £22.05 inc vat. Shouldn't complain really but I'd like to see that actually happen as the guy over the phone seemed to be having a hard time deciphering the bill.

Associate
Got that set already. I've 2 APN's setup, one for mobile web which has its type set to default and another for O2 MMS which is set to mms. Still fails to download or send MMS's. The green radio button shows up agains the mobile web APN.

First time i entered my SIM it downloaded the settings itself and it worked fine. Updated to the modaco rom which wiped them and after that it doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

Did the settings in that link look ok?

Yep they are identical to mine and mine works....

Soldato
Get me home London. TFL journey planner in a nice little app.
That'll do very nicely. Thank you

I need more cool Apps, where's all the cool Apps people!!!?!?1?!?!?!?!
It would appear they are all on the iPhone.

Google really need to get their act together with the Android Market - the selection and overall quality is somewhat lacking. Even the few devs that I know say there is zero incentive to code for Android over the iPhone.

what do you want? i'm gunna build some.
How restricted are you to what you are able to build?

Soldato
Google really need to get their act together with the Android Market - the selection and overall quality is somewhat lacking. Even the few devs that I know say there is zero incentive to code for Android over the iPhone.
?

Google give away cash prizes for the best voted apps and also the devs can charge for their apps. how much insentive do they need?

Soldato
how much insentive do they need?
From the discussions I've had, a lot more.

They can develop an app for the iPhone, charge 59p for it and see it sell in its thousands, if not tens of thousands. Develop the same app for Android and they'll see hundreds - if they are lucky.

Release an app for free on iPhone (most of which generate revenue by some other means) and you'll start to see people picking up your paid apps on the strength of your free apps. Release an app for free on Android and you'll be extremely lucky if it's ever seen again amongst the complete dross that's flooding the Market.

The more common complaint is that the implementation of the Market for Android is pathetic, both on the handsets and on the web. iTunes walks all over it in every possible way and gives its users what they want - a simple, easy way to navigate the various apps and see what they can do.

I applaud Google for it's open-source approach to apps and but there's a thing as too much choice. Until someone starts sorting through all the apps and displaying them in a logical manner, Android will never be able to compete with the iPhone and devs will continue to code for the platform that has the most potential customers. There also needs to be some drastic QC implemented somewhere along the line.

Back
Top Bottom