Minimum amount of time on passport - france/switzerland

Soldato
I have a passport that expires in March and for numerous reasons (including a new job that required the passport number & copy) I've not sent off for renewal yet and I will not have time before travelling to take a day in leave to sort out my passport. My travel is only one week.

This means I will have less than three months on my passport for travelling to Geneva and Tignes.

So my question is - has anyone else been in this situation with France/Swiss travel?

I know globally it's usually 6 months, but I've heard 3 in the EU with less for normal EU travel being accepted.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Dont quote me on this one but I have a feeling within the EU you are exempt from short term visas can be in the country up until the expirary date on your passport.

I dont know where I've heard that from but think you might be ok.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
if you have an EU passport you don't need a visa.

so if you're a British citizen with valid passport you won't have any problems.

Soldato
OP
Reading up I believe that it's as long as your passport is currently valid. I'll contact the french embassy to check during the week but there's literally no chance of me getting it replaced due to the new job (contract) and high workload.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
why wouldn't it be valid until the date of expiry?
what's the point of having a Valid Until if it expires months before said date?

J.B

J.B

Soldato
why wouldn't it be valid until the date of expiry?
what's the point of having a Valid Until if it expires months before said date?

Going to countries like the US they want a certain number of months (3 or 6? :confused:) of passport validity from the date of travel to get a visa.

I'm not entirely sure why though.

Soldato
You're considered an EEA immigrant and so you don't need a visa to work in France or Switzerland, just a valid passport for while you are traveling iirc. That is certainly correct for entering the UK to work and I believe the same principle is applied throughout the European Union. :)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Going to countries like the US they want a certain number of months (3 or 6? :confused:) of passport validity from the date of travel to get a visa.

I'm not entirely sure why though.
yes, for Visas that makes sense.
because the visa is given to a certain passport, so if the passport expires before the visa expires then you have a problem :p
You're considered an EEA immigrant and so you don't need a visa to work in France or Switzerland, just a valid passport for while you are traveling iirc. That is certainly correct for entering the UK to work and I believe the same principle is applied throughout the European Union. :)

if you are an EU citizen then all you need to travel within the EEA is a valid form of accepted identification. and for British citizens that means a valid passport.

Soldato
I have travelled within the EU with less than 1 month left on my passport so I dont think it matters :) Unless you where going to the US that is..

Don
I heard somewhere that for France you can actually travel for a small amount of time after the expiry date, I also heard the the French live there so it put me off going :p

Back
Top Bottom