• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 260 or Nvidia 5770

Associate
OP
The 4890 is faster than both the 5770 and GTX260.
That is what I said: Best Framerate: 4890 > 260GTX > 5770

The 4890 also handles HDMI output as well as the 5770, nVidia cards aren't that good for HDMI output with sound. Any 4890 you will buy should come with a DVI>HDMI adapter as standard.
Thanks, this is good to know. I did notice that ATI seemed better for HDMI.

Tom's Hardware is absolute junk, they never have consistent numbers in all honesty, I personally don't consider them particularly credible. Outright performance numbers, the 4890 will win over both, power usage, I'm pretty sure a 4890 uses less than a 260, with a 5770 leading with the lowest power usage.
I have no opinion about Tom's but it used to be a good reference in the olden days. :) Between their power usage benchmarks showing the 4890 as the most power hungry and noisy, and your "pretty sure" it uses less than 260 I would be inclined to trust the benchmarks.

You'd be mad to buy a GTX260 over a 4890 when you're talking the same monies.
Well, the only reason would be the 3d vision :cool:
However, seeing as the ATI probably has better HDMI output that might take priority. I'll still go with 5770 though as I think the lower power usage/noise, more outputs and lower cost trumphs the better framerates of the 4890. This is just for my usage of course ad so others might come to a different conclusion.

Soldato
I agree with kylew. You'd have to be mad to buy the 260 over the 4890, unless 3d vision is your main buying point.
I'd go with the 5770 tbh, not much difference between the 4890 and the 5770 performance wise, As stated already the benefits of buying the 5770 are:
good game performance
low power consumption(real help seeing as you only have a 500 watt psu)
DX11.

Buy a 5770 and be happy.;)

Permabanned
I agree with kylew. You'd have to be mad to buy the 260 over the 4890, unless 3d vision is your main buying point.
I'd go with the 5770 tbh, not much difference between the 4890 and the 5770 performance wise, As stated already the benefits of buying the 5770 are:
good game performance
low power consumption(real help seeing as you only have a 500 watt psu)
DX11.

Buy a 5770 and be happy.;)

3D cuts performance right down firstly.

Also "Only 500w" you could run a crossfire 5850 set up on 500w PSU.

It's not the wattage, it's how good the PSU is with amps.

Permabanned
That is what I said: Best Framerate: 4890 > 260GTX > 5770

Thanks, this is good to know. I did notice that ATI seemed better for HDMI.

I have no opinion about Tom's but it used to be a good reference in the olden days. :) Between their power usage benchmarks showing the 4890 as the most power hungry and noisy, and your "pretty sure" it uses less than 260 I would be inclined to trust the benchmarks.

Well, the only reason would be the 3d vision :cool:
However, seeing as the ATI probably has better HDMI output that might take priority. I'll still go with 5770 though as I think the lower power usage/noise, more outputs and lower cost trumphs the better framerates of the 4890. This is just for my usage of course ad so others might come to a different conclusion.

3D vision looks great, it does however eat performance for breakfast, you also need the glasses (£100~) and a 120Hz monitor (£200~).

Looking at a more credible place (Legit reviews) shows the power consumption between a 4890 and GTX260 is so negligible for it to be an issue.

A 5770 will be best balance of performance and power consumption though, and yeah, it has the best outputs and will be a bit more reliable when it comes to audio over HDMI.

Associate
OP
Yes, I know the 3D gear will add another £300 which is why it is something I was planning to leave for later in the year. However, your remark about how it "eats performance for breakfast" brought home to me how silly I am to try and prepare for 3D now. I'm probably better of buying the 5770 for now and then hopefully by the time I'm ready to add 3D things will have moved on... trying to convince myself here but total immersion sounds so sweet.

Soldato
Yes, I know the 3D gear will add another £300 which is why it is something I was planning to leave for later in the year. However, your remark about how it "eats performance for breakfast" brought home to me how silly I am to try and prepare for 3D now. I'm probably better of buying the 5770 for now and then hopefully by the time I'm ready to add 3D things will have moved on... trying to convince myself here but total immersion sounds so sweet.

If you have the money to waste on 3d glasses and a monitor then why not buy yourself a 5850 and be ready for the dx11 games coming this year.

Soldato
I've just sold my 4890 for a ....5770 vapor-x, having looked at lots of benches I concluded that the 5770 was near enough to the 4890 to make little difference to my gameplay. The added bonuses for me were low power\heat\noise + Dx11 and finally another 5770 vapor-x to crossfire and then watch them babies go past a 5850 and even 5870. If you are buying a new card just now in this price range it has to be 5770. Fatboy has just stated no chance of prices on 5850 or 5870 coming down anytime soon and in fact they are gonna go up again.:(

Man of Honour
The only 260GTX worth bothering about any more is:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-054-GI&tool=3

and its out of stock anyhow...

Personally I wouldn't be buying a 4890 now either despite it being a bit faster than a 5770 - at the worst it will probably hold its resale value better than the 4890 and you have the option of adding another for cf if a single card doesn't hold up to DX11...

Last edited:
Associate
I hope you aint as disappointed in the HD 5770 as me, if i had the choice, i swap for GTX 260 in a second or the HD 4890.

Soldato
I am running 260 GTX Sli and I have no complaints what so ever, I don't think you will notice any difference between that and the 4890 xfire, at the end of the day it comes down to price and price alone.
NVIDIA works for me the drivers are good and I have very few problems. I certainly wouldn't jump to ATI just because their current cards are faster.
Picked my 260 GTXs (x2) up for the price of a single ATI 5850.

Associate
OP
The price goes to Jynmagic... ;)

Thanks everyone for a very informative thread with lots of viewpoints. I think you can't go too wrong with any of the graphic cards discussed in this thread. I've put 5770 in my basket because it has what I want at the best price. I'm sure I would have been very happy with a 260GTX or 4890 too coming from a 8800GT (which I've also been happy with).

Back
Top Bottom