Upgrade from XP to 7

Soldato
hi,
currently i hav windows xp on dell dimension 5000, i want to upgrade to windows 7, i will be buying windows 7 ultimate 32 bit upgrade, will i be able to upgrade from windows xp using the upgrade disc? as i understand you have to do a clean install, will i be able to do this with an upgrade disc.

if i cant do that with an upgrade disc, i have a spare copy of windows vista home premium 32 bit. would i be able to install that over the top of xp and then install win 7 ultimate as an upgrade or would it require me to have vista ultimate?

any help will be appreciated :)

cheers

ali

Soldato
No no, what I mean is, you will have to upgrade to vista, and then run your win7 upgrade.

What I meant was its better to just do a clean instal of win7 over the top of XP, but you cant do that with the upgrade versin of win7 I dont think - you would need the full version of win7 for that rather than the upgrade version.

Soldato
Yes you can do a clean install using an upgrade disk, how else would XP users be eligible to upgrade.

You will need to do a clean installation of Windows 7, or upgrade to vista first. you cannot upgrade XP directly.

As said, a clean instal is preferable to an upgrade.

Associate
You will need to do a clean installation of Windows 7, or upgrade to vista first. you cannot upgrade XP directly.

As said, a clean instal is preferable to an upgrade.
Just to clarify, yes you can use upgrade media to do a clean install. That's the point I was making in response to you telling the OP you couldn't.

Associate
Hellarda,

Prior to migrating to Windows 7 from Windows XP it would be best to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.To determine if your current computer configuration will be compatible with Windows 7 please go to the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Another resource to verify compatibility is available at the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center located at the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Back
Top Bottom