Slovak held in Dublin over botched security drill

Man of Honour
Irish police arrested a Slovak man on Tuesday but released him without charge after Slovak authorities apologised for planting explosives in his luggage as part of an airport security exercise. Skip related content
Related content

"The Slovakian Interior Minister has conveyed to Justice Minister Dermot Ahern his government's profound regret for this incident," the Irish government said in a statement.

The man, one of the thousands of east Europeans working in Ireland, flew back to Dublin on Saturday after his Christmas holidays. After a tip-off from Slovakia, Irish army experts removed from his apartment a small amount of explosives he had unwittingly brought back in his bag.

The man, in his 40s, was one of several passengers in whose luggage the Slovak authorities had concealed forbidden items without their knowledge to test their airport security.

Airport security has been the subject of international attention since a Nigerian suspected of ties to militants in Yemen tried to blow up a U.S. passenger jet on Christmas Day with explosives concealed in his underpants.

(Reporting by Andras Gergely; additional reporting by Martin Santa in Bratislava and Padraic Halpin in Dublin, editing by Tim Pearce)

:eek: could you imagine getting arrested for that, Brown trouser moment time.
Fine test security, but why not use people in the know.

So much for all these security measure then, what a waste of time. Pretty shocking.

Soldato
crazy. We don't want people with explosives here, even if they don't know they have explosives! w t f springs to mind.

Soldato
What if they didn't get the tip off. Then a few months down the line he gets arrested for having explosives. The Slovakians would have forgotten about it and he'd be screwed.

Man of Honour
Fine test security, but why not use people in the know.

You can 'lie' much more convincingly when you don't know you've got explosives in your bag? Although answering the "did you pack your bag yourself?" question should perhaps have caught him out - "no, a nice man from the Slovakian Secret Service handed me my bag, strangely it was several kilos heavier and had started ticking but I thought nothing of it".

I do wonder about the tip-off part as well though, if that hadn't been done was airport security likely to detect it anyway? You've got to hope so or all this heightened security begins to look a bit like putting an Elastoplast on an amputation.

Man of Honour
OP
I do wonder about the tip-off part as well though, if that hadn't been done was airport security likely to detect it anyway? .

As it was Irish police that arrested him, meaning he must have already flown :eek:.

Well I'm assuming they did not plant the explosives in foreign soil.

Associate
As living in Slovakia, it is pretty normal to see stuff like this happens as our police have pretty stupid people... On other side, few years ago France had same problem (putting something to find in random people luggage, and they also "lost" one), then they stopped doing these tests.

If Slovakia would be a normal country, then our minister responsible for police would step down today, together with the highest ranked police member. But because we don't live in such country (our government is there just to steal as much as possible), i don't expect anything like this hapening.

On side note, i hope that the guy who has been arrested will sue Slovakia and get at least 100k€ as compensation.

Associate
A similar incident happened in Japan. They placed a significant amount of drugs in a passengers bag unknown to them.

Then they lost him. I understand the need to test security measures but this guy could have landed in Thailand or China and had been charged with drug trafficking which carries the death penalty. No one knows what happened after that. Scary stuff.

I'm glad to see the Irish guards caught your man and resolved the issue properly.

On a side note, Irish police would not have shot him if he tried to escape. We don't give our police side arms.

Man of Honour
On a side note, Irish police would not have shot him if he tried to escape. We don't give our police side arms.

Not even for airport security? We don't tend to arm our officers on the mainland either but in the airports that I've been to in the past few years there have been a number of police with MP5s or whatever it is they carry.

Soldato
As living in Slovakia, it is pretty normal to see stuff like this happens as our police have pretty stupid people... On other side, few years ago France had same problem (putting something to find in random people luggage, and they also "lost" one), then they stopped doing these tests.

If Slovakia would be a normal country, then our minister responsible for police would step down today, together with the highest ranked police member. But because we don't live in such country (our government is there just to steal as much as possible), i don't expect anything like this hapening.

On side note, i hope that the guy who has been arrested will sue Slovakia and get at least 100k€ as compensation.

Hmm, I don't think Fico is a carpetbagger and thief. I like what he is doing for Slovakia and follow your politics closely. I went from Bratislava to Kosice for the first time in 2005 where I had to keep bribing people for all sorts of things. I literally came back from Slovakia again on Sunday where I was skiing in the Tatras and things have improved tons in the past 5 years since I've been going there.

Associate
Hmm, I don't think Fico is a carpetbagger and thief. I like what he is doing for Slovakia and follow your politics closely. I went from Bratislava to Kosice for the first time in 2005 where I had to keep bribing people for all sorts of things. I literally came back from Slovakia again on Sunday where I was skiing in the Tatras and things have improved tons in the past 5 years since I've been going there.

I'm flying to Slovakia but since the demise of SkyEurope there are now no direct flights to Kosice. We are thinking of flying to Poprad with Danube Wings.... who did you fly with?

Soldato
I'm flying to Slovakia but since the demise of SkyEurope there are now no direct flights to Kosice. We are thinking of flying to Poprad with Danube Wings.... who did you fly with?

Flew with Austrian this time to Vienna, and from there to Kosice. You could fly to Poprad but it's a good 90min drive to Kosice from there. I also flew with CSA on a previous occasion to Prague and then to Kosice from there.

SkyEurope going under is a real annoyance making it harder to get to Kosice.

Back
Top Bottom