Local Dishes that you love/hate?

Soldato
I find English cuisine to be extremely dull and stodgy. I don't a large amount of travelling and really do find it to be the least imaginative and bland flavours. Oddly tho it's really not that far removed from New Zealand food which does tend to consist of the good old meat and three veg which I also find extremely bland. I would much rather to have a good Indian or Thai curry. I massively prefer Asian foods with plenty of spices.

Soldato
I find English cuisine to be extremely dull and stodgy. I don't a large amount of travelling and really do find it to be the least imaginative and bland flavours.

I think you mixing your English comfort food with proper English cuisine which is classed as some of the best in the world!
But yep, you cant beat a good Thai / Chinese / Indian meal :D

Associate
Cheesy Oatcake
Bacon & Egg Oatcake
Bacon & Cheese Oatcake
Bacon & Tomato Oatcake
Sausage & Cheese Oatcake
Sausage & Egg Oatcake
Bacon, Cheese & Tomato Oatcake
Sausage, Cheese & Tomato Oatcake

You get the idea!

I mean a proper Potteries Oatcake by the way, not one of those crappy Derbyshire monstrosities or those Scottish things that they laughingly refer to as an 'oatcake'!

Although I don't like where they're from...Stoke :D I have to say THIS! Oatcakes are awesome! :)

Associate
Pasties but not the greasy muck you get most places, it has to be from a good pasty shop. I tried a pasty from the shop in temple meads station when I was back in the UK and that's too far north and east to have good pasties, was gash.

I brought 2 kilos back over with me :D

Plymouth is too far north and east for a decent pasty. ;)

Scottish black pudding is my favourite, much better than the Lancastrian stuff.

Associate
Not sure how local they actually are, but Stovies are the win.

Yeah I absolutely love Stovies, mum/dad used to make it for me back in the day and I've made it a few times recently myself. I was born down here but my dad and half of my family from Aberdeen.

Oh and as for local local food, SCONES! My mum runs the orchard tea gardens in Grantchester, Cambridge, and I regularly swing by to have a delicious cream tea.

Man of Honour
I'm surprised there hasn't been more replies. I know there is a fair few pies,cakes, pastrys in the north that are local dishes.

Back
Top Bottom