Mumford and Sons

Soldato
Just searched and thought I would bump this.

Just got their album 'Sigh no More'. What an excellent album, been a while well since the RHCP's released Stadium Arcadium that each song is sheer brilliance.

Recommend these guys to anyone, one of the best albums of 2009 easy :)

Man of Honour
I picked up "Sigh No More" in December, it's being played all the time. What a debut album, no track disappoints and I’m waiting with great anticipation for the next one. This was one of my two albums of the year in an earlier thread. :)

Nix

Nix

Soldato

No disrespect dmpoole, but I hardly seem to see you say anything nice about the 'new' bands recently; it always seems to be "It was done better by xyz." etc. It'd be nice just to see you say "Yeah, I like them." ;)

But yeah, thanks for the recommendation all the same. :p

Incidently, Flogging Molly remind me of Dropkick Murphys.

For example:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No disrespect dmpoole, but I hardly seem to see you say anything nice about the 'new' bands recently; it always seems to be "It was done better by xyz." etc. It'd be nice just to see you say "Yeah, I like them." ;)

I think you've got the wrong person and you will have to give me some sources.
I'm the old one who actually follows the new bands in favour of the old ones.
I try to keep up but in this case all I've said is they are a watered down Flogging Molly which isn't putting them down.
In fact, it's praising them.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I think you've got the wrong person and you will have to give me some sources.
I'm the old one who actually follows the new bands in favour of the old ones.
I try to keep up but in this case all I've said is they are a watered down Flogging Molly which isn't putting them down.
In fact, it's praising them.

No, it's definitely you. I'm pretty sure you did basically the same thing about Florence and the Machine in that she was a watered down version of some banshee. Yes, it was you because it was about one of your daughters iirc. That's where that comment is coming from. I'm not saying you're stuck in the past, but rather your comments of late are alluding to that.

I never said you were putting them down, but you didn't say anything 'good' about them either, you simply commented on that they sounded like a watered-down version of someone else, which objectively is a negative statement even if the intent was not. It just seems like it's a little underhanded praise really. I mean, no-one likes to be effectively called second-best or a little late to the party.

Man of Honour
No, it's definitely you. I'm pretty sure you did basically the same thing about Florence and the Machine in that she was a watered down version of some banshee. Yes, it was you because it was about one of your daughters iirc. That's where that comment is coming from. I'm not saying you're stuck in the past, but rather your comments of late are alluding to that.

I never said you were putting them down, but you didn't say anything 'good' about them either, you simply commented on that they sounded like a watered-down version of someone else, which objectively is a negative statement even if the intent was not. It just seems like it's a little underhanded praise really. I mean, no-one likes to be effectively called second-best or a little late to the party.

Excuuuuuuuuse me but I'm a big fan of both Flogging Molly and Siouxie so if I have made comparisons (of which there is no doubt) then that is praising them.
I don't have to say they're good because I've already said it by comparing them.
I am definitely an old guy who tries his best to keep up with current music but you can't blame me when I hear a similarity between artists because I've listened to so much and seen so much.
Forgive me for comparing artists but it has always been the way to be able to explain to somebody what an artist is similar to so you can get somebody else interested.
I'm 100% sure that Mumford & Sons already know who their influences are and why they got started.

Back
Top Bottom