Assistance with Home Cinema Setup

Soldato
Hi All,

I'm after a bit of help !

Just moved into a new place and trying to sort out a setup !

The planned setup is as follows -

Samsung 37" LCD TV (already got, 3 HDMI ports and 1 Component)
Apple TV (to be bought)
BT Vision (Ordered, due 5th Jan)
xBox 360 Elite (already got, connected to tv using HDMI
Bluray Player (Currently got a HTPC that fills the Apple TV and Blueray job, but I'm after getting something a bit more compact !)

So, what do I need help with

1x Bluray Player
1x AV Reciever to plug it all into and then output to some speakers (2.0 to start)
1x Set of floor standers

Now, I really liked the sound of Peternems floorstanders that he had, so i'm considering getting that sort of setup for sound, but I dont know what to get ! I'm not 'to proud' to go second hand for speakers and the av reciever if it means I get something better thats still good, but its got to be worth 'the risk' of not having a guarentee etc.

Ideally, by my calculations i need either an AV reciever with 4 HDMI ports, or with 3 and 1 component (xbox 360/apple tv through component with digital audio for the sound)

Ideally i'd like the bluray player and av reciever to be black ( :rolleyes: ) but not to worried about the speaker colour.

Budget? Ideally sub £400 for the lot (player, av reciever & speakers), but will consider going higher if a little bit more will make a large difference.

Soldato
OP
80 views and no replies !

I had a quick look through things and I think this is what I'll go for

Bluray - Sony BDPS360 - £99.95

AV - Onkyo TSXR307 - £169.95

Speakers - Eltax Concept 400 - £149.95

Thoughts?

Soldato
The Sony BD player appears to be selling rather well going by the posts on here, and I can see why, I have one of the higher end models of the BDP range and it is great.
I think I've seen people posting up that they have found the player for just under £80, even with the vat hike it shouldn't be that much unless you are getting some blurays bundled in with the player.
You are buying from a "Super" HiFi company I presume?, they tend to add a premium onto the prices for the priveledge of shopping with them.

Onkyo - I have no personal experience, but going from several forums and the days when I used to get HiFi magazines you cannot go wrong with Onkyo, apparently it is rare for them to bring out a dodgy piece of equipment.

Eltax - I wish I knew how these sound, especially when connected to the Onkyo. ;)

Best o luck in your mission.

Soldato
OP
All those are prices from a place which is 'more wealthy' sounds. Claims are they will match any price, so i'll have a proper look round for prices later.

The plan would be to see if they would hook them all up in the shop and play a bluray on it for me so I could hear the sound

Soldato
OP
right, I've done some research and the next Onkyo model up, the 507 not only has 4 HDMI in (perfect) but also does sound over the HDMI inputs.

I'm after one in black, with the Sony Bluray and these eltax concept 400's speakers.... can you guys help me find the best prices for these please ?

Back
Top Bottom