Anyone had a puppy ?

Caporegime
sany0243ty4.jpg

That toy on the right. I bought our dog a smaller one and it has never even looked at it. Instead it chooses to munch holes in every one of my socks it can find. :mad:

Associate
Puppies are hard work and if you keep him you will have to get used to it. He'll soon be grown up and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about though.

They start off looking like this and run you ragged
sany0243ty4.jpg

And before you know it they look like this and are not a bit of bother.
sany12641.jpg

:EDIT: Not KCS tho, thats an Akita :p

Stunning dog. Not sure I've seen an Akita that large.

Soldato
The crying will stop as soon as he becomes more secure with you. But thats only going to come with you spending time with him. Leaving him regularly and for prolonged periods is a major no no IMO.

I would say, you need to be ready to commit to him 24/7 for the next six months, or you should get shut ASAP.

Associate
Someone mentioned puppy pads earlier in the thread. I'd recommend them.

Fred, our black Labrador, took to using them *really* quickly... he was using them consistently within a week and when he did have an accident, it was more often than not right by the pad, so it looked like he'd been stood on the pad with his bum hanging off it.

WRT the crying, he did that for a few nights, but soon got over it. We didn't really need to do anything to help him other than let him have an old tshirt. When we were kids, mum gave our golden lab puppy a hot water bottle and an old tick-tock alarm clock wrapped in a towel to help her sleep for the first few nights.

He just needs a little while to get used to not having mum there almost 24/7 to look after him and feed him, to being sure that you are about for when he needs you.

A cage might work for him; it gives them their own space where they can feel comfortable. We didn't use one for Fred, but it has worked well for others.

Dogs are great, but you do need the time to invest in them as pups to be able to reap the rewards in the future.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks all. We will make sure there is always someone with him.#

He was looking at mum really sadly earlier, as if he knew what she was thinking :(

Associate
That toy on the right. I bought our dog a smaller one and it has never even looked at it. Instead it chooses to munch holes in every one of my socks it can find. :mad:

Did you buy the treats that go in it?

10_kong_snaps_unpacked.gif

Have the largest bit sticking out then the idea is they try and get the rest out from inside it :)

Associate
Give it time, they soon grow out of the crying phase, spend as much time with it as you can. also like others have said put an old clock wrapped up in its bed. have patience and it will soon be a fully trained furry friend :)

Soldato
Some might frown but seriously try a cage. They actually feel safe in them. Also, it is no different really than having a baby. You have to switch off to them. It really doesn't take long for them to get used to new surroundings and a new routine.

Also, forget paper training. Take outside regularly and when is convenient for you, they soon get the message.

This. When we had our Lab puppy last year, coming up to one year old now, we had a cage for him and the first 2 nights was horrible. Crying, yelping etc. After that, silence. Slept all night. Take him/her out for a wee/poo once hes awake, once after eating once after playing. Go out the same door to let him out for his toileting that way he will let you know when he wants to go.

If you get a cage make sure you have plenty of toys for him to play with inside. I would recommend using treats to lure him in the cage and once hes in fuss him like there is no tomorrow and offer another treat, repeat this lots of times. Once he is used to going in the cage on his own or when you tell him to shut the door and give treat. Leave him alone. This works for many dogs and we had no problem with our Lab and they are one of the hardest dogs to keep occupied as they are very playfull for upto 3 years, basicly a puppy for that long.

Juts to add. If you have access to some baby monitors that also helps.. we used one for a few weeks but only really needed it for a week. When we heard him wake up during the night we got up and let him out for wee/poo. After a few days he started to get the idea that we would NOT always come down to him we left him to cry every other time he needed a wee. He soon learnt to hold it and after a week or just over he was 100% toilet trained.

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Some might frown but seriously try a cage. They actually feel safe in them. Also, it is no different really than having a baby. You have to switch off to them. It really doesn't take long for them to get used to new surroundings and a new routine.

Also, forget paper training. Take outside regularly and when is convenient for you, they soon get the message.

This works for us, too. We found that paper training was making him go inside rather than ask us to go out. I would rather he went inside (we have tile floors in the kitchen - his room), told "no", then put outside so he knew where toilet was. We now only have infrequent accidents, but he's only just under 14 weeks.

The cage, as well, is a great idea. I thought it was a little mean at first, but he really seems to like it now - it's his bed. Say "bed" to him and he'll go in there (unless he wants a bribe) and he sleeps all through the night, and for a couple of hours at a time in the day, between which I go and let him out.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

We got an 8 week old english springer spaniel a few days before Christmas.

First night she cried all night, probably because she wanted her mother and I felt the same way :)()

Do you have a cage to put the puppy in? I cut up a cardboard box and joined it to her cage so she has a seperate sleeping space and a toilet space (with water bowl)

I found putting a hot water bottle under her sheet helps, and to try and get her to calm down before putting her in the cage.

Also my advice is don't be tempted to go back to the puppy if they cry.. this will only reinforce their belief that crying = attention.

Took 2 days and she's good as gold now :)

Caporegime
I don't think you made an informed decision given your houses work/student commitments. You need to spend a lot of time with a puppy and you can't all just leave it and wonder why it spends all it's time crying. Show it a bit of affection instead of getting annoyed at it. :)

Soldato
You should not be missing Uni lectures because of a dog.

Nope. Only Pro Evo, drinking or sport. :p

If you've only had him a couple of days, use some of the suggestions in here. Give him an old t-shirt of yours or something. Both of my dogs were a bit sad for their first couple of weeks with us; do what you can to spend time with him, but try to leave him on his own at night, perhaps with something that smells of you.

Soldato
What were you expecting when you bought the puppy? As others have said they're equivalent to a baby, they rely on you for everything and don't like it when you're not there. Our first dog spent his first day with us sleeping and the second day pooing and weeing everywhere but we expected this and training commenced immediately. I would recommend you buy a "dummies guide to puppies/dogs" book or read online as simple techniques can be used to house train them. Where does the dog sleep at night?

Permabanned
OP
Keeping him now, he seemed to realise somehow what we were thinking, and has been good as gold all day. aww!

Hes bold aswell, camera external flash doesnt even bother him :

19844_246814143863_584073863_3145163_6763115_n.jpg

19844_246819563863_584073863_3145169_4613554_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom