My cat is anemic :(

Man of Honour
Then point your dad in the direction of this thread.

Is he REALLY happy just putting him to sleep? Will he never think, "What if?"

Anemia in felines is always caused by some other disease (often renal/kidney failure) so even if you got the transfusion, it's likely that there would be other costs for treatments. Seems a real shame but if money's a no go factor then it probably is best to put him down.

By the sounds of it it isn't an operation and he's cured. it's a blood fusion that will make him better for a little while, then what find another £600. That's how I read it anyway.

I believe it's too far on now to have any successful treatment :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. My current cats do have insurance but as with my above post, i've left it all in the hands of my father. He won't get another one now.

yeah I understand it's different as he's with your Dad mate, just speaking in general terms really. Hopefully if people see this thread and have a pet without insurance they will now consider getting it to prevent such a young animal being put to sleep.

By the sounds of it it isn't an operation and he's cured. it's a blood fusion that will make him better for a little while, then what find another £600. That's how I read it anyway.

I understand it wouldn't be a cure but I for one would have done anything to prolong the life of my dog - as long as it was good quality life of course. He actually had some medication the day before my Dad took him to be put down costing £500 that the insurance wouldn't cover as we'd exceeded our limit on the particular problem.

Our dog had many health issues though (diabetes from birth amongst others) and I actually felt sorry for our insurer as the amount he cost was insane. We would have paid it all ourselves (we did quite a bit anyway) if we had to though as he was worth every penny!

So the moral of the story is, I cannot stress how important it is to take out pet insurance! Even if you never use it, think about the animal and how it could save his life further down the line.

Soldato
Unfortunately if the cat's anemia has gotten to the stage where a blood transfusion is required, then it's condition has been diagnosed as 'life threatening'.

The blood transfusion is neither a definate, nor potential cure as the transfusion would only be performed to stabilise the cat for long enough to undertake further tests to determine the cause of the anemia.

The causes of anemia in felines could be one of many conditions i.e. Autoimmune disease, The feline leukemia virus, Blood parasites, Chemicals or toxins in the blood, or Neoplasia (cancer). Each of these conditions would cause further investigation, then treatment, all with no guaranteed resolve.

All of this time the cat will be in a vet's cage, being fed through a drip and experiencing a very low quality of life for no guaranteed change in condition, let alone a percentage cure.

Yes, the cat is young, but this situation in my opinion is far beyond the surmised "I can't afford vet bills, hence putting my cat down".

Sorry to hear of your situation OP - I lost my dog of 3.5 years to pancreatitus; we forked out a lot of money to a vet who was very positive of full recovery, only to find his chances moving from 90%, to 50%, to 20% over the space of 3 weeks. Our family was devastated to have had our little spaniel suffering for those last few weeks and now feel that it is paramount to consider the welfare of the pet above any other factors.

Back
Top Bottom