Anybody here able to translate names in to Chinese calligraphy?

Soldato
I'm getting a tattoo designed soon and I'd like to have the names of my family incorporated in to it but written in chinese script. I've found a website that has an extensive collection of translation and I've cross referenced it with other sites so I'm fairly sure the characters are correct - however I want to be 100% before I get it done, just in case I have #36 Egg Fried Rice tattood on me for the rest of my life.

So if anybody knows how to write chinese symbols/script I'd be super grateful if you could translate some names for me.

Soldato
Well, if you post what you've got I can check if it's correct or not?

Dictionaries/such sites will be accurate. There are set characters for particular names.

Writing names in Chinese you only get a approximation of the English sound though. So I'm not too keen :s.

Soldato
I would say don't. Kanji can be interpreted and read differently depending where the reader is from. For instance both Japanese and Chinese use same kanji, but they mean slightly different things. Not to mention other similarish scripts in the area. The whole idea actually buffles me, I have never seen any Asians with European script tatoos... Think about it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I know what you're saying rsatd - It's more that I like the aethetic of the script and given that I want the names of my family as well it's something that I can say represents that. I don't intend to actually use the tattoos to communicate so as long as they aren't completely wrong I'd be happy with the characters just symbolising the names.

The names are: Adam, Sharon, Kathy, Maurice (not Morris).

Soldato
Ah yes, the other thing is that transliterations are country dependent. I think the Japanese don't use characters for names? Rather katakana (a phonetic script).

But since there'll be different pronunciation in Beijing and Hong Kong, as transliterations are based on their sound, the characters used would be different...

Soldato
OP
Ah okay that makes sense. Well it's chinese characters I'd like and if you'd like me to pick a region then I guess i'm more likely to visit Hong Kong than anywhere else.

Soldato
Sorry don't know Chinese, only Japanese side of Kanji, however why not use images to symbolise what they mean to you instead of butchering their names into a language that may not even have the right sounds, let alone any meaning asociated with the Kanji... But your call obviously.

Soldato
Here's the mainland ones:

Adam 亚当 (ya dang)
Sharon 沙伦 (sha lun)
Kathy 凯茜 (kai xi)
Maurice 莫里斯 (mo li si)

Of course, they're meaningless. And don't sound very good. Sharon has characters for sand, and relations. Adam's first character means Asia, and the second doesn't translate well on its own (perhaps, 'when'). At least Chinese people's names make a little more sense.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that Kpeh...they are the same as the ones I'd found.
I know what you're saying, I guess I'm being swayed by their appearance rather than literal meaning. I just know that I'd like their names in something other than English - The chinese characters would fit in with the sleeve (for the other arm) I have planned, which will include their star signs, but as illustrations rather than traditional symbols - for example a Koi to represent Pisces.

I'm still batting ideas around, so it's not definite. I've got a meeting with the artist tomorrow so I'll see what he says.

Associate
Just out of curiosity as you don't speak Chinese what is the significance of having them in that format, i've always found it odd when I see people with Chinese, Hebrew, Latin, etc tattoo's when they don't speak that dialect.

Soldato
Not as easily as I thought though! :) I have a chinese name and the meaning/characters I have been using all my life 'could' be wrong!

Stress on 'a little' more sense :p.

You've got a Chinese name, but no distant relatives (etc) to ask the meaning of it then?

Soldato
OP
Just out of curiosity as you don't speak Chinese what is the significance of having them in that format, i've always found it odd when I see people with Chinese, Hebrew, Latin, etc tattoo's when they don't speak that dialect.

I've done a chinese martial art for the last 17 years, so we have chinese script on our uniforms and certificates etc. It's just something I've always like the look of for what it is, rather than what it says.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Stress on 'a little' more sense :p.

You've got a Chinese name, but no distant relatives (etc) to ask the meaning of it then?

Ha Ha if you read the thread it would make sense ;)

I am half Chinese and have a Chinese first name and have been using the same characters since my aunty told me what they were 10 years ago.

Was discussing about having the characters as a tattoo and queried the meaning and translation (whether they are the same characters - which they are not).

:)

BB x

Soldato
OP
Then why not just get a tattoo of something you like the look of, rather than what it says? :D

I am getting one of something I like the look of, but I want to make sure that because they are indeed letters in a far flung and mystical language, if I do get it it actually makes (some) sense.

Back
Top Bottom