Free postage when it isn't (auctions)

Caporegime
Some silly people on an auction site are selling games with free postage and packing, but then go on to say in description there is an additional charge, now besides this being against the listing policy, would you be tempted to bid on the item then just pay what is owing?

Might be a sneaky way to get an item cheaper because they've no comeback as the final amount will not include THEIR postage charge and they risk a Neg as you can't leave bad feedback for buyers :D

Caporegime
They can't do it whatever they put in the listing so you would only have to pay the final winning price. However they could just refund you and say they broke/lost it.

I know Ebay did it because they were losing out on commision when people put £3.95 to post a game which only cost a quid and it then onlt sold for 99p. However, I won't even bother listing any old games I have anymore on Ebay as the selling prices of games have not gone up even though it's free postage.

Therefore when you need an item to sell for 99p just for you break even and that's all they sell for, you may as well give it to a charity shop.

The last games I sold, I think it went for £1.21. My postage was 79p. I had a jiffy bag to buy and take it to the post office. Ebay took their commision and I think I had 7p left from the transaction.:(

If people had started bidding more money for the game to even it out then it would be fine.

Soldato
Report the item - if people stop letting them get away with it they'll have to stop. A lot of things have free P&P as a condition of selling so the "additional charge" is completely out of line.

Caporegime
OP
They can't do it whatever they put in the listing so you would only have to pay the final winning price. However they could just refund you and say they broke/lost it.

I know Ebay did it because they were losing out on commision when people put £3.95 to post a game which only cost a quid and it then onlt sold for 99p. However, I won't even bother listing any old games I have anymore on Ebay as the selling prices of games have not gone up even though it's free postage.

Therefore when you need an item to sell for 99p just for you break even and that's all they sell for, you may as well give it to a charity shop.

The last games I sold, I think it went for £1.21. My postage was 79p. I had a jiffy bag to buy and take it to the post office. Ebay took their commision and I think I had 7p left from the transaction.:(

If people had started bidding more money for the game to even it out then it would be fine.
I find the opposite, I have loads of jiffy bags from things we buy anyway so no need to buy one, I also recently sold CSI Deadly Intent for more than I paid for it new, so that covered fee's and postage is 90p 1st class, I essentially got to play the game and made a couple of quid profit.

Caporegime
I find the opposite, I have loads of jiffy bags from things we buy anyway so no need to buy one, I also recently sold CSI Deadly Intent for more than I paid for it new, so that covered fee's and postage, I essentially got to play the game and made a couple of quid profit.

That's fine if the game is worth good money. I bought GTA4 from Asda for £10 new, played it and finished it, sold it on Ebay for £14 so even after fees,postage etc I had still made a profit and played the game in full.

I was more refering to the older games which when I have clearouts used to make £1 to £2 plus the £1.50 postage charge I put on. I would basically pretty much get left whatever the final selling price was. Now I would get almost zero except Ebay would make money (more than me!)

People used to pay £1 to £2 plus the postage for those type of games. Now they will still only pay £1 to £2 so it doesn't make any sense to sell them anymore.

However, it does make it cheap to buy games on Ebay now ;)

Soldato
It's sneaky and against the rules but sometimes I don't blame people for trying. I sold a few books a couple of months ago and you have to give free postage on them... college workbooks are not cheap to post :(

Caporegime
and probably a load of other stuff now has to go with free postage.

I think my gf was whinging the other day cause her hair straightners now have to be free postage and with been high value she was sending them special delivery so there goes a fiver of the selling price.

Back
Top Bottom