• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 920 DO 3.40ghz

Associate
Agree with above re heatsink being the issue

To check for concave heatsink remove it from the CPU, coat it evenly in paste using an old credit card or similar and then press it onto a flat surface such as a pane of glass. the print left will tell you if things are ok or not with the heatsink. If all that looks ok i'd send it all back as it doesn't sound good to me. I'm running 4.2 on air and my temps max at 78degrees

Soldato
Or a less messy way is hold a razor blade or metal ruler flat against the base shine a torch light through or hold it to a window, any light shining through will tell where and by how much uneven it is :D

Associate
OP
Darn..I can cook curry on it :S

Remove your heatsink, clean and reapply thermal paste and pop the bad boy back on.
Hopefully that will sort it out for you.

i resit it like 4 times , i have rma'd the system and asked them to fit a corsair h50 if it turns out its the cooler than was the problem. I hope it was the cooler and not the processor that was running too hoot, is it possible that a cpu can be faulty and run hotter than usual?

Associate
Hi I have the same problem with my sons new Titan Goliath.

Did reseating the heatsink fix the temperature issue?

I get 88-85-85-82 deg's after 3mins of OCCT

Now I've reseated I get 81-78-77-74.

This still seems a little hot.

Have you got this sorted yet?

Associate
Hi I have the same problem with my sons new Titan Goliath.

Did reseating the heatsink fix the temperature issue?

I get 88-85-85-82 deg's after 3mins of OCCT

Now I've reseated I get 81-78-77-74.

This still seems a little hot.

Have you got this sorted yet?

More details?
Cpu speed, cpu volts, heatsink, idle temps?

Associate
Thanks for the interest.
Titan Goliath" Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz @ 3.40GHz Quad Core DDR3 System
Antec 300 case
Akasa AK-967 Nero Direct Contact Heatpipe CPU Cooler
idle temps 45-50
Just asked for a rma number as it's a pre-built,overclocked system.
I didn't mind reseating the heatsink but don't want to tinker as it's only a few weeks old & under warranty.

Was interested how the original poster had got on.

Associate
What voltage are they using for these clocks? (use cpu-z)

Personally i dont think the akasa heatsinks are up to the job, especially on an overclocked system!

I after after the OP has not replied since the RMA, i'm guessing his problem has been resolved with the cooler upgrade.

Soldato
Guys, the volts are not the case here.

It's a heatsink or dodgy sensors, end of story. 0,5v won't increase the temp by 40c, don't fool yourself.

Make sure the HS sits hard in, when taking it off you should see if the paste was spread nicely around and if not it wasn't pushed in enough.

Or in worst case a dodgy CPU.

Associate
OP
i rma'd mines 4 times lol , it was a nightmare. finally i bought a corsair h50 and they refunded me the amoutn of an akasa nero . it now runs at 70 tops in prime95 with the corsair h50 . I think thats still above average of a corsair h50 in push pull tbh at 3.40 ghz but aslong as it doesnt go over 80 im happy

so ye my advice is get a corsair h50

Caporegime
70c does sound a bit higher than average on a 3.4gz oc, this is mine at 3.8ghz, cooling is a TRUE and 2 x 400-1200 rpm pwm fans.

ibt38ghzoc.jpg

Soldato

It's a heatsink or dodgy sensors, end of story. 0,5v won't increase the temp by 40c, don't fool yourself.

Make sure the HS sits hard in, when taking it off you should see if the paste was spread nicely around and if not it wasn't pushed in enough.

Or in worst case a dodgy CPU.

How can it be a dodgy CPU INTEL only rate them to run at 2.66!!
In fact now you have overclocked and used anon standard heatsink, Intel no longer honour the warranty....luckily O/C do :) this is the only benefit of buying a pre O/C bundle or system that i can see.

oh and im running at the moment with an average CPU at 3.6Ghz at 1.15Vcore..

Associate

From what i have seen, the o/c bundles all have the same settings and not unique to each cpu so they also bump other volts which will add more heat. (heck mine will do 3.6ghz on 0.992V and default QPI)
No one is saying the 40C increase is due to volts but they won't help, they're adding extra heat which the coolers obviously can't cope with. I bet running stock they would be fine.

As i said earlier in the thread, the temp difference between idle and load for both of you is too high and i still say the heatsinks are not upto the job.

Back
Top Bottom