• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Still problems with 5970

Associate
Phone up one day don't know who i was talking to bought a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5970 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card order number OC943365.
Order date and time: 17 Dec, 09, 3:58 pm. Told the guy i was having problems with the card crashing in game play crashing in windows He told me to try the card in another computer which i did and it's stills crashing he also told myself to test my memory which i did tested that everything was ok there so took the card out of the computer it's been out now for about three weeks haven't it much fun with this card from the day i received it so put my old 4890 back in and it running great. So i would like to RMA the card back again and some of use guys at overclockers can test this better than myself have had nothing but trouble with this card from the day i received it left it out of my system to see if there was any new drivers so the last night seen there was beta drivers out 10.1 out so uninstalled my old card uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the 5970 and the beta drivers the card wasn't in the computer a couple of minutes and the crashing started again . So i have had enough . Also when taking out the 5970 back out it was very hot for a card that was only but in a just a couple of minutes ago in this system. Maybe the card is faulty but i would like to RMA the card back and if Faulty would like a refund and not a replacement. I don't think i will be buying anymore ATI cards again. I always bought ATI but taking a look around the different forums theres been nothing but trouble with all the 5000 cards . So anymore Help Please advice .

Caporegime
RMA it to OCUK and ask them kindly for a refund instead of replacement, they probably don't have any stock to do a swap anyway.

To RMA it complete the RMA Enquiry Form here:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/webnote.php#rma

If you buy any problematic hardware in the future it's usually best to return it under the Distance Selling Act cooling off period (7 working days from receipt).

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't write-off ATi for one problematic card, after all, you say your 4890 is running fine.
Get your refund - they won't have a card to swap I'm sure.

The only reason that you're seeing lots of people talking about their problems with 58xx cards is nVidia have not had anything to sell for months - if it can't be bought it can't go wrong!

Soldato
You noted that the card was running hot, download GPU-z and what temp readings are you getting?

Also have you tried older drivers, i have known in the past that when you install new gpu without removing the other drivers completely off the system can cause stability issue's

Soldato
I wouldn't write-off ATi for one problematic card, after all, you say your 4890 is running fine.

I'm starting to wonder whether people delibrately try and find something wrong with ATI cards or just fake the fact they have a ATI card and complain about them because they just don't like ATI.

Soldato
I'm starting to wonder whether people delibrately try and find something wrong with ATI cards or just fake the fact they have a ATI card and complain about them because they just don't like ATI.

i think it was because older drivers weren't great, and Nvidia drivers seems to work better on games, however the table's have turned and they have released top of the range cards.:cool:

Soldato

it is a sorry state of afairs if people resort to these types of spamming but it does happen.

as for the OP don't write off ATI just because your card is being RMA'd. remember it is one out of X amount that are still going strong. As your 4890 is still working fine and is still a very good card.

I never wanted to join the RED team after having several Nvidia cards bacause of comments like this. It's not all doom and gloom. in fact the complete oposite, a very pleasent experience.

Associate

I doubt it. The 5*** series has been selling like hotcakes so a handful of them are bound to have problems.

But then again there are plenty of sad gits out there :confused:

To the OP - RMA the card. If its broken you return it, just like anything else you would buy that's faulty.

Associate
my 5870 has 3 ports , 2 dvi and 1 hdmi. The hdmi and 1 dvi produce a blurry image, if i didnt have to RMA my titan goliath 4 times i would RMA it but i wanna play my system while i still have a vacation. bad times :(, guess i will allwas have to stick to the one monitor

Associate
my 5870 has 3 ports , 2 dvi and 1 hdmi. The hdmi and 1 dvi produce a blurry image, if i didnt have to RMA my titan goliath 4 times i would RMA it but i wanna play my system while i still have a vacation. bad times :(, guess i will allwas have to stick to the one monitor

If I spent £300+ on a piece of new hardware I would expect it to work. You should really look at RMA'ing if it is the card at fault. If not for your enjoyment then the resale when the time comes.

Soldato
Phone up one day don't know who i was talking to bought a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5970 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card order number OC943365.
Order date and time: 17 Dec, 09, 3:58 pm. Told the guy i was having problems with the card crashing in game play crashing in windows He told me to try the card in another computer which i did and it's stills crashing he also told myself to test my memory which i did tested that everything was ok there so took the card out of the computer it's been out now for about three weeks haven't it much fun with this card from the day i received it so put my old 4890 back in and it running great. So i would like to RMA the card back again and some of use guys at overclockers can test this better than myself have had nothing but trouble with this card from the day i received it left it out of my system to see if there was any new drivers so the last night seen there was beta drivers out 10.1 out so uninstalled my old card uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the 5970 and the beta drivers the card wasn't in the computer a couple of minutes and the crashing started again . So i have had enough . Also when taking out the 5970 back out it was very hot for a card that was only but in a just a couple of minutes ago in this system. Maybe the card is faulty but i would like to RMA the card back and if Faulty would like a refund and not a replacement. I don't think i will be buying anymore ATI cards again. I always bought ATI but taking a look around the different forums theres been nothing but trouble with all the 5000 cards . So anymore Help Please advice .

So you signed up to these forums to request an RMA? :confused:

The card is powerful so it will run hot (but cooler then any other dual GPU solution) and your going to run into problems if you using it anything less a full tower case with dedicated GPU cooling and excellent thermals and airflow.

Man of Honour
Not a single problem with my 5970 - runs very cool and excellent performance. Didn't have a problem with my 4870X2 either. Maybe I am just lucky, have never had any problems with Nvidia or ATI - well, except for the 7900GTX (which broke for most people).

Soldato
The card is powerful so it will run hot (but cooler then any other dual GPU solution) and your going to run into problems if you using it anything less a full tower case with dedicated GPU cooling and excellent thermals and airflow

Spot on, most gpu problems are due to lack of airflow and cooling causing the card to overheat.

Man of Honour
Ah, yes... but that would suggest the user being at fault, rather than the hardware itself?

Perish the thought.

RMA the card and chalk it up to experience. No manufacturing process guarantees 100% working parts 100% of the time, so you could have a lemon.

Although I'm going for naive installation (not to be mean: this stuff just happens. Ask me about my catalogue of stupidity).

Soldato
Ah, yes... but that would suggest the user being at fault, rather than the hardware itself?

Perish the thought.

RMA the card and chalk it up to experience. No manufacturing process guarantees 100% working parts 100% of the time, so you could have a lemon.

Although I'm going for naive installation (not to be mean: this stuff just happens. Ask me about my catalogue of stupidity).

i do see your point about some cards being dud, however it's also the user, they put the card in and forget all about it, come a year down line a build of dust gets inside the fan causing the airflow to be reduced causing the card to overheat, the better cooling you have the less chance with things going wrong, also having the proper case.

i clean my case out every month or so, i have about 5 fans so the more air you have sucked in will also bring in a lot more dust.

Associate
I don't think i will be buying anymore ATI cards again. I always bought ATI but taking a look around the different forums theres been nothing but trouble with all the 5000 cards . So anymore Help Please advice .

GFX always seem to cause people problems. The reason that most of the problems are ATI problem's atm is because nobody is buying Nvidia.

Associate
OP
Know i didn't just sign up for RMA

So you signed up to these forums to request an RMA? :confused:

The card is powerful so it will run hot (but cooler then any other dual GPU solution) and your going to run into problems if you using it anything less a full tower case with dedicated GPU cooling and excellent thermals and airflow.
all
Know i didn't just sign for RMA . I will be looking on advice guys now on a new card for my system any idea's what about Nvidia the only thing is i have an Amd set up does this matter. It's an Asus hair Formula III .can i put a Nvidia card into what real is a AMD - Ati setup any Advice guys would be Great. Also the cooling thing I had four fans in my case and not a socket cooler on my CPU so must have got a faulty card Guys . I will take any advice use guys can give me on computers and Hardware after all use are the experts .

Soldato
all
Know i didn't just sign for RMA . I will be looking on advice guys now on a new card for my system any idea's what about Nvidia the only thing is i have an Amd set up does this matter. It's an Asus hair Formula III .can i put a Nvidia card into what real is a AMD - Ati setup any Advice guys would be Great. Also the cooling thing I had four fans in my case and not a socket cooler on my CPU so must have got a faulty card Guys . I will take any advice use guys can give me on computers and Hardware after all use are the experts .

i would stick with ATI, have a look at the 5*** series gpu, the only reason i say that is fermi have delayed the GF100 and doesn't look at releasing there card anytime soon, just a thought though

if it is a gpu fault you should be able to get it changed, ping them an email, im sure their Customer service would be happy to help get the matter resolved asap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom