New lens has arrived..

Soldato
I have a Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 Model 272EN II, and i did not notice when buying it, that there is no manual aperture ring, so there is no constant apeture of F2.8 when using auto focus :(

I found this review, which the lens clearly has a manual aperture ring, there is one difference in the model number..

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/tamron/90_macro/index.html

Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 Model 272E (so no 'N II' on the end)

i feel i have mucked up a bit :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there any difference between the Nikon and Canon model? Could that be the reason?
Anyway, you will have an f2.8 as it's a prime lens, even when focusing, or am I not understanding your worries?

(Wow, seems like a lot of us are getting new lenses today!)

Soldato
OP
Is there any difference between the Nikon and Canon model? Could that be the reason?
Anyway, you will have an f2.8 as it's a prime lens, even when focusing, or am I not understanding your worries?

(Wow, seems like a lot of us are getting new lenses today!)

No i dont think so, Nikon/Canon.

It is a prime yes, but with no manual aperture ring, say for using extention tubes (no biggy).

But when im focusing i can see the F number moving to F4 and beyond, when its focusing, say 2 meters from the subject.

Soldato
Huh? I'm confused. When set in aperture priority, setting the camera at f2.8, when you focus, your f number shifts?! That's utterly new to me...

Soldato
You called?

No aperture ring on mine, I think that was a slightly older version that wasn't on sale for very long (don't quote me on that though).

Use AV/Aperture priority or full manual and you can AF while keeping it at f2.8, it's definitely weird that yours doesn't in AV!

Soldato
OP
You called?

No aperture ring on mine, I think that was a slightly older version that wasn't on sale for very long (don't quote me on that though).

Use AV/Aperture priority or full manual and you can AF while keeping it at f2.8, it's definitely weird that yours doesn't in AV!

Darn, i though you know some secret that would fix it. It will not keep its constant aperture of 2.8 whilst focusing, regardless of setting.

Ill try and record a vid so you can see.

Associate
The Tamron lens on Nikon bodies reports the effective aperture. As you get closer there is some light loss and at 1:1 the light loss is around 2 stops, so f/2.8 will show as f/5.6 in the viewfinder.

Soldato
the link is to the older version, dont feel to bad thought the newer version has slightly better optics.
also the aperture thing depends what magnification your at like gnomey says.

get some kenko tubes and your'll be alright, or use the DOF button trick with manual tubes.

PICS PICS PICS!!! :)

Soldato
OP
The Tamron lens on Nikon bodies reports the effective aperture. As you get closer there is some light loss and at 1:1 the light loss is around 2 stops, so f/2.8 will show as f/5.6 in the viewfinder.

Hey Gnomey, so this is normal? I dont have a faultly lens?

...but the exif data shows F/5.6 even if i set the aperture to F2.8 to start with...

Dan what is this black magic you speak of 'DOF button trick with manual tube' ps. i have a set of cheap extention tubes :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Dan what is this black magic you speak of 'DOF button trick with manual tube' ps. i have a set of cheap extention tubes :)

Set the f/stop to what you want, hold the DOF preview button and remove the lens at the same time.

Will then be at whatever you set it to, however it will darken the viewfinder considerably.

Soldato
what raikiri said, with the camera on set what ever aperture you want, press and hold the DOF preview button then remove the lens, the lens will now be locked at that aperture.
I've never done it myself as i've heard it can damage the lens/camera dont know if thats true or not so do it at your own risk.

read from the 4 post down about aperture.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_lenses/discuss/72157623115701840/

have a read of this too
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses/139137-macro-lens-question.html

Last edited:
Soldato
what raikiri said, with the camera on set what ever aperture you want, press and hold the DOF preview button then remove the lens, the lens will now be locked at that aperture.
I've never done it myself as i've heard it can damage the lens/camera dont know if thats true or not so do it at your own risk.

I've done it hundreds of times with zero issues. Never heard of one breaking due to it either, just people worrying that it will :)

309n97n.jpg

2vlwbki.jpg

Soldato
Little button on the camera, just under the lens release button on mine but it may vary. It just closes the aperture blades so you can see the effect it has on the picture before taking it.

Back
Top Bottom