Windows 7 Upgrade Disc - Is Full Install Possible ?

Associate
Hi,

I have a Windows 7 upgrade disc that is intended to upgrade Windows Vista. Can I use this Windows 7 disc for a full install from scratch, ie, reformat the drive and get a clean install of Windows 7 without having Vista on the PC ?

The Windows 7 upgrade disc comes with a product key and CoA sticker which states:

WinVista HmPrem-Win7 HmPremUPGMedia

Thx
Binty

Soldato
Hi,

I have a Windows 7 upgrade disc that is intended to upgrade Windows Vista. Can I use this Windows 7 disc for a full install from scratch, ie, reformat the drive and get a clean install of Windows 7 without having Vista on the PC ?

The Windows 7 upgrade disc comes with a product key and CoA sticker which states:

Thx
Binty

That's exactly what I did when I upgraded my laptop. As long as you have the licence for the software you're upgrading from I believe it's fine (someone will tell me if I'm wrong :) ).

Associate
Altho not applicable to you it seems that if you want to upgrade from XP there is no alternative but to reformat the drive in order to install win 7 so there must be a full version on the disk unless there's a different version for XP upgrade ?

Associate
Looks like I can't get an upgrade disk for XP as I was planning,lol

Microsoft:

I can confirm that customers will be able to purchase upgrade media and an upgrade license to move from Windows XP to Windows 7 - however, they will need to do a clean installation of Windows 7,” a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to The Register. “This requires the user to back up their data, install Windows 7, re-install the programs and restore their data.”

Windows Vista users, however, will have the option to install over the top their existing OS.

“For PCs running Windows Vista customers have the option of an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 keeping their data and programs intact or to perform a clean install of Windows 7,” added the rep.

Last edited:
Associate
Izzy Eckerslike,

Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.

For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee150430.aspx

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Associate
An additional note about the clean upgrade, you do not NEED to do a format beforehand as the windows 7 installer will simply move the old windows installation, the documents and settings folders, etc wholesale into a new folder called windows.old that way after the install you can simply copy across the stuff you want to keep (settings, music, etc) and delete the rest.

Associate
Hi,

Thx
Binty
Have a look at this guide here, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1818-upgrade-install-windows-7-a.html?ltr=U

Back
Top Bottom