New lens has arrived..

Soldato
Get a decent set of extension tubes i.e. Kenko that have electrical and mechanical pass-through. Taking the lens off and on for every shot isn't exactly a technique you can use in the field....

As others have said, the aperture change with focussing is normal with every lens but more noticable with macro lenses because of the focussing range involved. I'm rather disappointed by the number of people who had you floundering around trying different settings to change the laws of physics.

Last edited:
Soldato
As others have said, the aperture change with focussing is normal with every lens but more noticable with macro lenses because of the focussing range involved. I'm rather disappointed by the number of people who had you floundering around trying different settings to change the laws of physics.

Serious? :confused: I've never once seen the aperture keep changing whilst working in Av mode. Whether it be macro work or not.
I fully understand that you lose light using macro extensions, but I've never heard of a camera changing the Fstop value to reflect this!

Caporegime
No i dont think so, Nikon/Canon.

It is a prime yes, but with no manual aperture ring, say for using extention tubes (no biggy).

But when im focusing i can see the F number moving to F4 and beyond, when its focusing, say 2 meters from the subject.

AFAIK, this is nornal for Macro lenses.

I don't have one so can't verify.

Caporegime
Serious? :confused: I've never once seen the aperture keep changing whilst working in Av mode. Whether it be macro work or not.
I fully understand that you lose light using macro extensions, but I've never heard of a camera changing the Fstop value to reflect this!

IF you use macro extensions then no, the camera wont adjust.

The Macro lenses do signal to the camera that the aperture has changed since the change can be well over a stop so this is needed to adjust the exposure.

Soldato
OP
Once again, thx you all for you input, i feel much better about my purchase now!

I have taken a coulpe of 'test' shots and this lens is SO sharp. Really pleased with it.

Associate

Nikon bodies show the effective aperture, Canon bodies don't. The effective aperture changes as you get closer, at 1:1 there is around a 2 stop difference and at 5:1 there is around 6 stops difference. When set to f/2.8 at 1:1 the effective aperture will be around f/5.6 and at 5:1 around f/22.

Soldato
The Macro lenses do signal to the camera that the aperture has changed since the change can be well over a stop so this is needed to adjust the exposure.
Confusing explanation :p
Surely the camera just meters differently, the aperture doesn't change.

Luckily this makes more sense: ;)
Nikon bodies show the effective aperture, Canon bodies don't. The effective aperture changes as you get closer, at 1:1 there is around a 2 stop difference and at 5:1 there is around 6 stops difference. When set to f/2.8 at 1:1 the effective aperture will be around f/5.6 and at 5:1 around f/22.

:)

Soldato
OP
Little button on the camera, just under the lens release button on mine but it may vary. It just closes the aperture blades so you can see the effect it has on the picture before taking it.

depth of field preview button, its the one below the func button on the d90. When pressed it will set the lens to its lowest aperture.

Tried this 'trick' today. and it does not work for me :(

I set the aperture to F/2.8 pressed and held the DOF button, whilst releasing the lens, camera still switched on.... aperture not held :confused:

Permabanned
Once again, thx you all for you input, i feel much better about my purchase now!

I have taken a coulpe of 'test' shots and this lens is SO sharp. Really pleased with it.

2qb50lv.jpg

Associate
Tried this 'trick' today. and it does not work for me :(

I set the aperture to F/2.8 pressed and held the DOF button, whilst releasing the lens, camera still switched on.... aperture not held :confused:

With the aperture set to f/2.8, it could be wide open (assuming f/2.8 is the max aperture for your lens), so when you press the DOF preview button, it stays wide open.

Try again with a smaller aperture (bigger f/ number) selected. Perhaps something around f/8 as a starting point.

Soldato
OP
^^ tried at all apertures from F/2.8 to F/8. The DOF button sounds and previews in finder, but when i realese the lens the aperture ring is closed to around F/16.

I give up.

Soldato
OP
Ok, apon further investigating, this is what is happening:

When i push the DOF preview button the aperture is set, no problem, but as soon as i go to remove the lens (whether camera is powered or not) the aperture ring closes 'as' i unscrew the lens if i start to screw the lens back on the aperture ring re-opens., Famas, can you try 1 time to see if this is a D90 trate?

Back
Top Bottom