• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Broken 5850?

Soldato
I recently purchased a Sapphire HD 5850 and have noticed that I am getting faint moving diagonal lines appearing on screen during video playback.

I've tried everything to solve the issue including the following:

• Underclocking the card - I have downclocked the card to its lowest level on both the core and memory but this had no effect.
  • Drivers - Have tried the Catalyst 9.11 and 9.12 drivers but both have the same result as well as the drivers from the Sapphire website.
  • Monitor - Have tried 2 different DVI inputs as well as trying the DisplayPort input but again no effect.
  • Changing the codecs in Windows - this had no effect.
  • Trying another graphics card - I have an old nVidia 8800GT which I put in the system to check - this does not show the error so it is nothing to do with my monitor / system and leads me to believe that there is in fact a problem with the card.

My system specs are:
Intel i7 920
Asus P6T
Corsair 650W PSU
6Gb Corsair RAM

Searching around the net I found this: http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=172622 where it seems somebody else is having the same problem.

Any ideas? Starting to think that there are some big problems with either the 5 series cards or the drivers.

Cheers :)

Associate
Loads of people have this issue, including myself. There doesn't seem to be a one-fits-all-fix but personally I just switched to a different video output socket and all has been good ever since. :)

Associate
Any ideas? Starting to think that there are some big problems with either the 5 series cards or the drivers.

Cheers :)

Have you raised a support ticket at the Sapphire website? They will need your SKU# and P/N (both of which can be found on the card itself), but they may be able to suggest a fix or send you a new bios. Alternatively (and if neither work) they will be able to tell you whether to RMA through the seller.

Soldato
OP
Have you raised a support ticket at the Sapphire website? They will need your SKU# and P/N (both of which can be found on the card itself), but they may be able to suggest a fix or send you a new bios. Alternatively (and if neither work) they will be able to tell you whether to RMA through the seller.

Yeah I've raised a ticket with Sapphire to see what they say but I'm not holding my breath, as you say alternatively I can RMA it, but hoping it won't come to that. Not heard anything as yet but I'll let you all know when I do.

Not tried the HDMI as yet, but I'm guessing that if DP does it as well then HDMI will be no different :(

Prof. Cheese - I can't find that on the ATi forums, any chance you can see if you can find it? Might just be me being blind :) (most likely).

Cheers.

Caporegime
If you don't want to faff on doing all that (flashing your cards BIOS etc...), then just install the AMD GPU Clock Tool, and increase the clocks by 1mhz to disable the powerplay (so it runs at full 3D speeds all the time), that way you'll also know if its the low 2d clocks thats causing it.

Soldato
OP
If you don't want to faff on doing all that (flashing your cards BIOS etc...), then just install the AMD GPU Clock Tool, and increase the clocks by 1mhz to disable the powerplay (so it runs at full 3D speeds all the time), that way you'll also know if its the low 2d clocks thats causing it.
I upped it all the way to 500 and it made no difference :(
Does anybody else notice this issue?

Cheers for the help so far :)

Soldato
OP
Ok, been messing with this now for the past few days and had enough of it. Updated the drivers using the Cat 8.70 betas and now the diagonals have turned into almost rectangular banding across the screen when watching video.

I've tried everything that I could find on the net, underclocking, overclocking, hacking the profiles, playing with the ports, playing with the monitor etc...

Just a bit worried that this won't be tested properly under an RMA and that it will be rejected. Any last ideas before I send this off?

Cheers for the help so far btw :)

Back
Top Bottom