• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Losing Patience with FERMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
The way I clean the ball is super effective. a) Remove ball from mouse. b) Spray ball a couple of times with windex. c) Put the ball back in mouse. Presto! Also, when I look around in a shooter, I tend to "hover" the mouse a millimeter above the mousepad. Why? When a trackball mouse is suspended in air, the ball dangles down and touches the mousepad. While doing this, grip the mouse tightly, keeping it steady. Now, the slightest movement by the mouse will be shown on-screen! Even your pulse/heartbeat.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The way I clean the ball is super effective. a) Remove ball from mouse. b) Spray ball a couple of times with windex. c) Put the ball back in mouse. Presto! Also, when I look around in a shooter, I tend to "hover" the mouse about an inch above the mousepad. Why? When a trackball mouse is suspended in air, the ball dangles down and touches the mousepad. While doing this, grip the mouse tightly, keeping it steady. Now, the slightest movement by the mouse will be mimicked on-screen! Even your pulse/heartbeat.

You do realise just how far an inch is in terms of a mouse being above its pad right?

I'm calling wind up.

Associate
OP
You do realise just how far an inch is in terms of a mouse being above its pad right?

I'm calling wind up.

Oops, ok, 1 millemeter is more accurate. BTW, I never heard the expression "windup" before. Care to fill me in plz? And I edited the description of the technique. But more on topic, are 3 5870s more power than 2 5970s?

Last edited:
Associate
But more on topic, are 3 5870s more power than 2 5970s?

Sadly, there are no direct head to heads involving these two setups, but have a look at the links below (also note the resolutions!!), it is the closest I could find to a comparison.

http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles/HD 5870 TriFire/P5.html

Looking specifically at the Farcry 2 benchmark, this one is with a trifire setup (3x 5870s)

So, with 4xaa on "ultra" quality, you get:

180fps at 1600x1080
185fps at 1920x1200
135fps at 2560x1600

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5970-review-test/23

Here is the same benchmark run on a quadfire setup (2x 5970s) BUT, they were using 8xaa in "high" quality

173fps at 1600x1200
161fps at 1920x1200
98fps at 2560x1600

Also, the test rigs were different (being two different sites!):

Benchmark Extreme used:

I7 920 @ 4.2 GHZ (203 X 21) HT enabled
EVGA X58 X3 SLI
Patriot Viper 2 X 2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1620 9-9-9-24
3 X Diamond Radeon 5870 (Catalyst 8.66)
Vista X64

Guru3d Used:

eVGA X58 Classified socket 1366
Core i7 965 @ 3750 MHz
6144 MB (3x 2048 MB) Triple channel DDR3 20000 MHz OCZ Blade @ 1866 CA7
Windows 7 64-bit
DirectX 9/10/11 End User Runtime
ATI Catalyst 8.663.1 Beta 4.

So they had the same drivers, Guru3d's rig had faster RAM, but a slower clocked CPU (by about 0.5ghz) and they were running windows 7 (x64) as opposed to Vista (x64).

Basically, when one considers the discrepancies in the benchmarks and hardware there really isn't much between them.:p

I would like to mention though, if you happen to be a Crysis fanatic, pickup 3 cheap GTX 285s (wouldn't pay more than £500 or so for all three) and you'll still enjoy far smoother game play than with either of the two setups above -assuming you are at 1920x1200 with AA and ultra quality - I know it might be hard to believe, but ATI cards still choke at various points during Crysis, though I like many tend to believe it is because of poor coding, especially with the original game.

Last edited:
Soldato
your mouse must have big balls :p

Lool :D

3 5870's would cost about the same as 1 5970

not only that there are no games that require x2 or x3 graphics card setup at the mo, i understand that you want to play crysis in ultra quality, but i wouldnt justify spending silly amounts of money for 2 games, however a 5970 could handle crysis very well better than any other card.

Associate
Please dont follow me round hoping to get your own back for your bum rippage last week, you know what I mean by bottlenecking.

I don't know what you mean, on both counts.

Care to explain? Actually, don't bother, I probably wouldn't be able to understand you anyway - you are clearly more intelligent than me.

Associate
What is wrong with saying oh yeah, these people know more about computer hardware than me so i'll take their advice. Seems to me you're set on making the wrong decisions out of stubbornness.

Your proposal for a high end multi GPU setup on a 1280x1024 display is laughable.

Last edited:
Associate
+1 for getting a 5770 unless you plan to upgrade the display. Simply no point having a card fps limited by your CPU it's entire lifespan. It's much like having the best sound system in the world but only incredibly scratched 1950s vinyl to play on it.

Soldato
OP have you decided against the orginal plan yet? We are not being nasty but we are trying to tell you that you quite frankly are wasting your money. Get a 5770 and enjoy it.

That 5970 is like buying an F1 car to practice parallel parking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom