The Road

Soldato
Ok ill tone it down to more "real life" comments.

The Road has a lot of flaws, so much so that I didn't enjoy it. The acting by the child (forgot his real life name, cba checking) was not up to par of a supporting role and was somewhat 'bearable' by the fact that Viggo did a good job at portraying a now single father fighting for survival. Although he did ham up the voice overs which didn't fit in with the film at all. Whilst the sets and scenery where brilliant in mimicking a post-apocalyptic world, this didn't detract from the fact that the script, story and acting were poor.

If you want to watch a gritty, depressing but ultimately brilliant master piece. Watch Grave of the Fireflies which is infinitely better.

Soldato
Ok ill tone it down to more "real life" comments.

The Road has a lot of flaws, so much so that I didn't enjoy it. The acting by the child (forgot his real life name, cba checking) was not up to par of a supporting role and was somewhat 'bearable' by the fact that Viggo did a good job at portraying a now single father fighting for survival. Although he did ham up the voice overs which didn't fit in with the film at all. Whilst the sets and scenery where brilliant in mimicking a post-apocalyptic world, this didn't detract from the fact that the script, story and acting were poor.

If you want to watch a gritty, depressing but ultimately brilliant master piece. Watch Grave of the Fireflies which is infinitely better.

A+ :)

I personally found the story/script reasonably good, for what it was trying to achieve.

ps: Now, you've reminded me I must watch "Grave of the Fireflies" :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't really see how it's one for the easily impressed as Lysander saw it. You aren't going to leave this film smiling and it isn't typical of most hollywood productions. Personally, I believe it makes the audience work, one of the few hollywood productions that actually does so....

No its just funny how anyone can use the argument that other people are stupid for not sharing their particular likes and dislikes. You and Lysander both appear to be claiming that average moviegoers are essentially simple minded but then one of you likes this film and one doesn't so you both cancel each other out by using the same reasoning to justify different viewpoints.

Anyway, The Road has made a 'massive' $11 million at the worldwide box office in 9 weeks so its not like anyone watched it.

Soldato
No its just funny how anyone can use the argument that other people are stupid for not sharing their particular likes and dislikes. You and Lysander both appear to be claiming that average moviegoers are essentially simple minded but then one of you likes this film and one doesn't so you both cancel each other out by using the same reasoning to justify different viewpoints.

Anyway, The Road has made a 'massive' $11 million at the worldwide box office in 9 weeks so its not like anyone watched it.

What's your point, apart from the film was terribly marketed and isn't your average cinema flick?

It will be a shame if this film doesn't do well. Enjoy it or not, it dared to try and step away from your Bruce Willis hero of the day jelly mould Hollywood production, and be darker and less acceptable. TBH we need more films like this to try and bring some originality into the cinemas...

Soldato
What's your point, apart from the film was terribly marketed and isn't your average cinema flick?

Another tired argument. How do you know people go to watch a film purely on the basis of marketing and not for the content of the film itself? Do you think Avatar has people going back for more based on marketing or on content?

It will be a shame if this film doesn't do well. Enjoy it or not, it dared to try and step away from your Bruce Willis hero of the day jelly mould Hollywood production, and be darker and less acceptable. TBH we need more films like this to try and bring some originality into the cinemas...

Loads of films already step away from the Hollywood stereotype. There are countless depressing movies out there and I really don't care that much. Just because something is 'dark' and edgy doesn't make it good.

Soldato
Watch Grave of the Fireflies if you want something similar but 1 billion times better.

I thought grave of the fireflies was utter rubbish! No, really i'd say the road is atleast 1 billion and 1 times better :D

In all seriousness i didnt rate grave of the fireflies but i did enjoy this film. Each to their own i guess

Soldato
Another tired argument. How do you know people go to watch a film purely on the basis of marketing and not for the content of the film itself? Do you think Avatar has people going back for more based on marketing or on content?

By marketing I meant (a) people being aware of it, (b) having the chance to see it.

If we take The Road I don't recall much advertising - may have missed it. But the major issue seemed to be limited showings. In my case it was shown at limited times, at just one screen in one cinema in all my area? The main cinema in my town didn't show it at all for example.

This seems a common tale - An old couple in the showing I went to, said they'd had a hard job finding any cinema to see it at.

It's not a feel good film, quite the opposite infact. It hasn't got any of the usual tick boxes. So it's not likely to be a hugely successful flick - And the majority of movie go'ers I suspect are not overly interested in such a film.

Anyway, all that said, I can fully understand why it polarised the audience so much. It's subtle and dark, and is far from perfect. But personally I generally enjoyed it (if enjoy is the right word)... 7/10.

Last edited:
Soldato
By marketing I meant (a) people being aware of it, (b) having the chance to see it.

If we take The Road I don't recall much advertising - may have missed it. But the major issue seemed to be limited showings. In my case it was shown at limited times, at just one screen in one cinema in all my area? The main cinema in my town didn't show it at all for example.

But having a limited release doesn't mean people wanted to watch it but couldn't. Give this movie the same number of screens and billboards that Transformers 2 had and obviously (a lot) more people will still go and watch the big robots fighting each other. The Road had an opportunity to draw in an audience and it didn't so who cares.

It's not a feel good film, quite the opposite infact. It hasn't got any of the usual tick boxes. So it's not likely to be a hugely successful flick - And the majority of movie go'ers I suspect are not overly interested in such a film.

Or they've just seen it all before, the desaturated colors, the post-apocalyptic setting, etc. This movie looks to be far from original and is hardly likely to 'redefine' cinema as we know it so I don't see what makes it so special compared to anything else the Americans are producing.

Anyway, all that said, I can fully understand why it polarised the audience so much. It's subtle and dark, and is far from perfect. But personally I generally enjoyed it (if enjoy is the right word)... 7/10.

Precious had a limited release initially (iirc) but it did well and was expanded afterward, having now made $45 million domestic. That might have been due to Mariah Carey (though I doubt it) but its still a 'depressing' so-called anti-hollywood movie that made more money.

Soldato
But having a limited release doesn't mean people wanted to watch it but couldn't. Give this movie the same number of screens and billboards that Transformers 2 had and obviously (a lot) more people will still go and watch the big robots fighting each other. The Road had an opportunity to draw in an audience and it didn't so who cares.

Or they've just seen it all before, the desaturated colors, the post-apocalyptic setting, etc. This movie looks to be far from original and is hardly likely to 'redefine' cinema as we know it so I don't see what makes it so special compared to anything else the Americans are producing.

Precious had a limited release initially (iirc) but it did well and was expanded afterward, having now made $45 million domestic. That might have been due to Mariah Carey (though I doubt it) but its still a 'depressing' so-called anti-hollywood movie that made more money.
Not sure what you're point is...?

The Road wasn't widely available... People who might have want to have seen it couldn't... And people who didn't want to see it couldn't either, but didn't care?

"Or they've just seen it all before" - Have you seen it? - Yes there's been plenty of apocalytic films. And believe me I've seen a lot of them. But this did at least feel - for better or worse - different in its presentation.

Precious has done well... Yes...?

Really not sure what your point is still...

Soldato
Not sure what you're point is...?

The Road wasn't widely available... People who might have want to have seen it couldn't... And people who didn't want to see it couldn't either, but didn't care?

"Or they've just seen it all before" - Have you seen it? - Yes there's been plenty of apocalytic films. And believe me I've seen a lot of them. But this did at least feel - for better or worse - different in its presentation.

Precious has done well... Yes...?

Really not sure what your point is still...

No, my point is that other films have limited releases initially and are then expanded afterward because they've done well. Having a limited release isn't an excuse for a film failing at the box office.

Unless you're suggesting studio execs simply release movies on a deliberately crippled selection of screens so that their own investment won't do well instead of actually using a limited, less risky release to gauge interest. Why release on a 1000 screens and have film flop when you can achieve the same result on 100 screens?

Soldato
No, my point is that other films have limited releases initially and are then expanded afterward because they've done well. Having a limited release isn't an excuse for a film failing at the box office.

Unless you're suggesting studio execs simply release movies on a deliberately crippled selection of screens so that their own investment won't do well instead of actually using a limited, less risky release to gauge interest. Why release on a 1000 screens and have film flop when you can achieve the same result on 100 screens?

Fair point... But personally, I think it needed to be at more screens from what I've seen/heard - And that includes from people in the US as well as here.

I'm surprised, given how successful the book was, and how generally well reviewed/received the film was how poorly it appears to be doing though. I know I'll be watching it again on DVD when it's released to pick up on some of the things I know I missed at the cinema...

Back
Top Bottom