Rock'n'Chips: Only Fools and Horses prequel

Caporegime
Anyone see this? I didn't see any trailers for it but my colleague mentioned it was shown on Sunday night so I watched it on the iPlayer last night.

Thought it wasn't bad considering it could have been a disaster. No canned laughter which pleased me and fitted in with the quite gritty setting which touched upon themes of domestic violence, drugs and working-class poverty in the 60s. The lad who plays Del Boy is excellent (Jay from The Inbetweeners), as was Phil Daniels as "Grandad". Quite funny in parts too. Only thing I didn't buy was Nicholas Lyndhurst as an east-end villain, but other than that, I hope they turn this into a full blown series.

Associate
I watched it last night on iplayer as well. I liked it. I would have preferred canned laughter though would have made it feel more like only fools.

Trigger was great as well lol

Associate
It was average at best, couple of good lines and scenes but it just didnt seem to know what it was doing. It felt too much like a drama which made it very stiff. One of my mates from school played a part in it so that was the highlight for me haha. Didnt know he was in it and he just popped up.

Soldato
Nowhere was this billed as a comedy.
Every pre-showing interview with any cast member described this as more drama than comedy.
So of course there weren't the laughts there - it wasn't supposed to have them.

Soldato
So of course there weren't the laughts there - it wasn't supposed to have them.

Just because it didn't have a laugh track or a live audience didn't mean there was no comedy intended to be in it. Unless you literally mean no laughs as in...no laughs.

I thought it was stale to be honest and the comedy that was in there was a bit silly and pretty predictable at the best of times.

Associate
Or maybe after completing the show, watching it back and realising it wasn't that funny they made the decision to rebrand it as a drama.

Associate
It was a comedy drama although it listed on bbc iplay under the catagories Comedy, Sitcoms.

It was like a bad episode of heartbeat, which I haven't watched for years btw.

Soldato
Liked it tho at beginning i thought meh but it grew on me. I hope its a long series and lots of cos sick of short 6 ep series or whatever that the bbc do i.e auf weirdersien pet. Should have been more than just 6 per season.

Soldato
Seems the BBC are in a phase of reviving old programmes with god-awful sequels/prequels that usually aren't even worth mentioning in the same sentence as the originals. Auf Wiedersehen, Royle Family etc.

But Only Fools, it just keeps coming back time and time again. It had a perfect ending in 1996, but no, they had to go and bring them back for one last outing didn't they. As usual, they ruined it. And now this, talk about flogging a dead horse.

Soldato
Duno like, i like the old fashioned style of it all. Somit i really like watching. Characters are ok, defo not like originals but given time they could evolve like most characters do. I thought they did a good idea with freddy the flog so we finally see what all the fuss was about from OFAH.

Back
Top Bottom