win 7 slow network browsing ? anyone else got it

Permabanned
Hi Folks,
I have installed win 7 on my laptop for work , when I go to browse any
mapped drives , it takes several seconds (up to 20) to even display the contents of
a directory (when it only got about 3 or 4 files and a dir or 2 in there)
When it is "waiting" I see the location bar fill from left to right with a green bar

Is anyone else experiencing slow browsing using win 7

Is there a fix ior is this an awesome new "feature" from the folks at redmond ?

Associate
no problems with network drives here, does it take 20 seconds to view the files every time you browse to the network location, or just the first time? Sounds like a network issue rather than a Windows 7 issue, it could be that Windows 7 is indexing the network drive but I don't think it does this by default on network drives, you might be better posting in the networking forum.

Soldato
I get that actually. I also get it when accessing secondary drives on my own pc (but only the first time I access it after booting up). I assumed it was some energy saving feature because during the time I'm stuck waiting, I can hear the drive spinning up.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Thanks for the replies

20/30 seconds everytime , but problem comes and goes , sometimes it is
instantaenous other times takes ages

@Tripnologist
These are MAPPED drives , which mean they are on a NETWORK

Rebooting and running xp browsing is very fast (so its not the network) its
something up with windows 7

Soldato
I get that actually. I also get it when accessing secondary drives on my own pc (but only the first time I access it after booting up). I assumed it was some energy saving feature because during the time I'm stuck waiting, I can hear the drive spinning up.

That would be a power saving feature for you :)

control panel > power options > turn hard drive off after: 20 mins, First thing I do when I install Vista/Win7 is change that to 0.

Sorry to the op I don't get this on my install.

Back
Top Bottom