Milton Keynes to get high speed fibre broadband

Soldato
As BT start to roll out more FTTC, and can start to compete with cable in terms of high speeds, does anyone think this will cause VM to adjust their pricing or services to compete with BTs FTTC? Also, how much different will there be between VM and BT in terms of physical connection? Both will have FTTC but BT will be using old phone wires from there to the houses where as VM use COAX, but does it make much difference due to the short distance to the cabinet?

Commissario
The cable VM use to the house can reach speeds of 200mb+ I believe* if they updated the hardware in the cabs, I think the max for Telephone cable is still around 50mb over very short runs.
The big advantage BT will have, at least in the short term/mid term is their connection keeps individual customers separate from the cab to the house, VM's doesn't.

*DOCSIS 3 spec with bonding of multiple channels is I think up to 200mb using equipment that should be usable on VM with relatively simple changes (IE new modem), whether VM have the capacity for people with that speed is another matter (it would probably require upgrades between the cabinets and UBR's).

Soldato
The cable VM use to the house can reach speeds of 200mb+ I believe* if they updated the hardware in the cabs, I think the max for Telephone cable is still around 50mb over very short runs.
The big advantage BT will have, at least in the short term/mid term is their connection keeps individual customers separate from the cab to the house, VM's doesn't.

*DOCSIS 3 spec with bonding of multiple channels is I think up to 200mb using equipment that should be usable on VM with relatively simple changes (IE new modem), whether VM have the capacity for people with that speed is another matter (it would probably require upgrades between the cabinets and UBR's).

It would have to be bonded, as simple coax is 100Mbit maximum over short distances.

Soldato
Wouldn't there also be an issue of router throughput when you get to 100+ Mb/s? For example my wonderful wrt54gl with tomato is not capable of 50Mbit from what I have read, at 100Mb even fewer routers could handle that speed.

Caporegime
I think the max for Telephone cable is still around 50mb over very short runs.

VDSL2 is capable of 250Mbps on incredibly short loops, 100Mbps at 0.5km going to 50Mbps at 1km. Given VM reckon the massive majority of their coax runs are <=1km, there's no reason BT couldn't do that.

Commissario
I didn't realise they'd got DSL tech that far :eek:
That's quite impressive for the cable they are using :)

In that case BT would probably have the edge once they get it rolled out to the cabinets, as VM would have to (from what I understand) upgrade their cabinets/connections to the UBR's to do better.

Wouldn't there also be an issue of router throughput when you get to 100+ Mb/s? For example my wonderful wrt54gl with tomato is not capable of 50Mbit from what I have read, at 100Mb even fewer routers could handle that speed.

IIRC some of the D-link N routers (or is it netgear?) with gigabit WAN have a throughput of about 2-300mps from the WAN to LAN, it's largely down to the speed of the processor etc that is dealing with the routing (the WRT54 is an old model now in terms of capacity).

Associate
OP
Were about in stony are they looking, bit of a strange place to move a business to unless its a shop? :)

Prob somewhere close to the highstreet, we are in Clifton Reynes near Olney at the mo and barely get above 1mb :( We just want somewhere where we are going to get half decent speeds

Soldato
It's going to take more than just upgrading the exchange. This is going to mean digging up streets and installing cabinets.

SDSL doesn't go to 8Mbps.

I don't think they will be digging up the streets. They will be running fibre next to the copper and having a new fibre cab installed next to the cab that is already there.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I don't think they will be digging up the streets. They will be running fibre next to the copper and having a new fibre cab installed next to the cab that is already there.

...and how do they intend to put the fibre down if they don't dig up where the copper currently runs? And installing a cab, next to an existing cab, is still installing cabinets :/

Soldato
...and how do they intend to put the fibre down if they don't dig up where the copper currently runs? And installing a cab, next to an existing cab, is still installing cabinets :/

By doing exactly what they do at the minute, which is pull the cables through the ducts. The Fibre will be right next to the copper cables in the ducts and in the manholes. The only bit of digging they will have to do is if the duct is full/ blocked and for the new cabinet

Caporegime
You're assuming there's no TPON, the ducting's intact and there's room to blow fibre. If you read the article, it says they're doing FTTH too...

Soldato
I said previously that the only time they will need to dig is if the ducting is full, blocked. Which includes what you have just said. If there is already copper to the house then they will already have all the ducts. If they haven't got that then it will be planned for it to happen. So they won't need to dig all new ducts for the fibre.

Soldato
Thread necro - but Salford, so more or less half way between MK proper and Woburn Sands. Especially with all the new housing developments going up.

About a mile or two in the wrong direction :D

Still no signs of any work or improvements being done to Woburn Sands exchange unfortunately, even though I've had it direct from a BT engineer the exchange is 'running hot' and overloaded.

I'm on a 2.5/3Mbps profile line dependant on luck, and whether the stars are in alignment, even with a DGTeam'd Netgear (can't push it too far or too many disconnects etc)...way below national average now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom