*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
Sorry to say chaps but you're wrong - cardio (even mild HIIT) is important. Sure the anaerobic activity does give you a bit of a CV workout, but specific CV work is critical for health, end of. It's not just about keeping lean it's about keeping your whole body working well and healthily. People who think that not doing cardio is fine are just kidding themselves I'm afraid. Now of course you're in your early 20s and your bodies are undoubtedly keeping lean whilst working out hard and eating well, however it's not just about being lean.

I seriously urge those of you that think cardio isn't important to review, research and understand, because you're kidding yourselves.

dun

dun

Soldato
I can see where you are coming from FF and its important when educating people who are starting out in fitness/ older people and unfit/ high bodyfat people. But like you say I am young, naturally very very lean and naturally fit. Every week day I'm in the gym sweating and panting busting my ass, as well as trying to be in tune to what my body needs.
Then you got guys like my grandad who smoked like a chimney, drank everyday, ate ridiculously fatty food everyday, and did 0 training never mind cardio. I know that seems like an extreme example but in real life that's how people live. The gym is a chore that most people can not be bothered to endure. Sure it may shave a few years off in the end but this sport it far from healthy anyway. I might not live to 85 like my grandparents, but will that be because I neglected specific cardio training when I was 21, or will it be because I spent most of my young life lifting heavy weights day after day taxing my system, force feeding myself a protein rich diet, take supplements for this and that, having to do normal everyday things overweight/ obese. I dunno but as always I'm not saying do what I do, I just give my own experiences no bull :)

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well after january being taken out care of the weather and work i finaly dragged myself back in the gym after work yesterday :S

dear lord i felt week.

but after a day of hauling bins about and walking 10 miles i guess its to be expected. although after the last few weeks of working kicking my buttocks with playing catch up ( hauled 110 tons the week before, normaly closer to 70) im not as bad as id expected to be.

just curious who else on here does a very physical job then hits the gym ??

anyways back to football tomorow for manchester see if i can get fit again :D

Man of Honour
OP
I can see where you are coming from FF and its important when educating people who are starting out in fitness/ older people and unfit/ high bodyfat people. But like you say I am young, naturally very very lean and naturally fit. Every week day I'm in the gym sweating and panting busting my ass, as well as trying to be in tune to what my body needs.
Then you got guys like my grandad who smoked like a chimney, drank everyday, ate ridiculously fatty food everyday, and did 0 training never mind cardio. I know that seems like an extreme example but in real life that's how people live. The gym is a chore that most people can not be bothered to endure. Sure it may shave a few years off in the end but this sport it far from healthy anyway. I might not live to 85 like my grandparents, but will that be because I neglected specific cardio training when I was 21, or will it be because I spent most of my young life lifting heavy weights day after day taxing my system, force feeding myself a protein rich diet, take supplements for this and that, having to do normal everyday things overweight/ obese. I dunno but as always I'm not saying do what I do, I just give my own experiences no bull :)

Of course going to the gym and taxing your body is good for you - but you're putting a strain on your body, and by being cardiovascular fit it just helps that process along, if anything it might even enable you to develop more muscle, be leaner and stronger too. :)

Being a big guy doesn't necessarily affect longevity as long as you're overall a healthy person eating well and doing physical activity. It's no different to farmers or lumberjacks etc... I've met some huge guys who never go to hte gym but just have big taxing jobs and as a result are big people. Fit as a fiddle though - working 10hrs on a farm (in the States) I felt like I had done 1 week's worth of AGVT in 1 day! Seriously hard core.

You can be lean and slim but still have bad cholesterol and high visceral fat too - not that it'll be the case for you necessarily, but it's just a passing comment. Being lean and strong does not necessarily mean fit, though often it does go hand in hand I grant you that.

Protein rich diets are fine, our ancestors before processed foods came along were probably much more adept at eating high protein low carb foods than we are now in this modern world of processing. In fact our bodies haven't evolved quickly enough compared to the rate at which our refining process and farming process has evolved. Hence why so many people have allergies and diabetes, obesity and al. Our bodies just haven't caught up with where modern society and science has. We're ahead of ourselves, literally!

I'm not saying you have to be a marathon runner (I don't see the point), but you see so many weight trainers who run out of breath running for the bus, or climbing some stairs, or playing 20 mins of rugby. I just find that a bit sad and pathetic.

All I'm saying is, don't neglect looking after your heart and lungs - they are the most important organs in your body. If you're going to stress them, give them some training to cope. :)

Soldato
180kg overhand grip is great mate. well done.

Aye, good stuff. I love double overhand if I fancy really smashing it. Though if I'm just trying to shift as much as possible alternating works best.

Just crossed my mind double underhand? must be a particular reason why it's uncommon? Incredibly hard? or bad spinal/scapula alignment?

Suspended
Just been working on my diet. Looking to gain muscle without gaining fat, if possible.

I know the diet needs work but I'm stumped so I thought you guys could help me out?

Thanks in advance!

(Cals/Protein/Carbs/Fat)

9:30am - Wake Up

10:00am - Breakfast (278/12.3g/40.0g/5.0g)
- 50g Porridge Oats (180/5.5g/30g/4.1g)
- 200ml Semi-Skimmed Milk (98/6.8g/10.0g/0.9g)

12:00am - Morning Snack (368/14.3g/37g/18.9g)
- Low Fat Natural Yoghurt (122/9.8g/14.0g/3.0g)
- 25g Hazelnuts (165/3.5g/2.0g/15.9g)
- Apple (81/1.0g/21.0g/0g)

14.00pm - Dinner (519/24.2g/83.8g/11.3g)
- Medium Jacket Potato (244/7.0g/57.0g/0.4g)
- Half Tin of Baked Beans (150/9.6g/26.8g/0.4g)
- 30g Cheese (125/7.6g/0g/10.5g)

16:00pm - Pre- Workout (638/43.6g/33g/23.8)
- 4 Whole Eggs (Scrambled) (280/28.0g/4.0g/20.0g)
- 3 W/meal Toast (162/2.0g/9.0g/2.1g)
- 400ml Semi-Skimmed Milk (196/13.6g/20.0g/1.7g)

16:30pm - TRAIN

18:00pm - Lunch (328/42.7g/30.6g/3.2g)
- 140g Chicken Breast (170/36.4g/0.1g/2.2g)
- 50g Wholemeal Pasta/50g Brown Rice (158/6.3g/30.5g/1.0g) (178/4.9g/37.0g/1.5g)
- Fresh Mixed Veg (Not a lot?)

20:30pm - Evening Snack (250/14.1g/23.0g/2.4g)
- 1 W/meal Toast (54/0.5g/3.0g/0.7g)

23:00 - Bed

Cals - 2,381
Protein - 151.2g
Carbs - 247.4g
Fat - 64.6g

Soldato
Sorry to say chaps but you're wrong - cardio (even mild HIIT) is important. Sure the anaerobic activity does give you a bit of a CV workout, but specific CV work is critical for health, end of. It's not just about keeping lean it's about keeping your whole body working well and healthily. People who think that not doing cardio is fine are just kidding themselves I'm afraid. Now of course you're in your early 20s and your bodies are undoubtedly keeping lean whilst working out hard and eating well, however it's not just about being lean.

I seriously urge those of you that think cardio isn't important to review, research and understand, because you're kidding yourselves.

It seems may have created the wrong impression and there is more to it than I said. For me however, I have a fracture in my spine that does not take too kindly to the kind of stresses cv places on my skeletal system- (constant impact etc)this is why I am forced to give my heart a pounding on exercise/legs days: I am also asthmatic which has had the effect of giving me a stronger and more efficient heart so as to be able to cope. Luckily the asthma is controlled by exercise. Walking from the gym also gives me the chance to powerwalk every now and then and so I do get something. I am presumably an exception to the norm though. I think I read somewhere that even sprinting gave the heart and lungs a certain amount of protection/benefit the same as heavy squating etc.

Over time however, the body will gradually build a greater tolerance to the lactic acid build up and gradually increase its natural lactate threshold. As with aerobic exercises, when done regularly, anaerobic activities will help improve your cardio-respiratory system, aiding future workouts and improving general health and fitness.

This is not to oversimplyfy or trivialise what you have said though ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Benny, my Fat Gripz arrived today! What exercises do you use them with? I'm going to assume deadlifting with these will be damn near impossible!

Awesome stuff :)

Sweet jesus no! :p

I use them as much as possible where practical.

I'd use them on things like:
Military Press
Bench
Anything with dumbells (flat press, shoulder press, incline, raises, curls, kickbacks, rows etc)
Powercleaning (gets a lot of wrist involvement as the bar can't spin -not sure if using these is wise for this exercise - careful when lowering as it will probaly fall out of your hands)
Shrugging
B.O.R's
T-bar Rows
Flyes

As much as possible. I'd also started using a 'false grip' where your thumb stays next to your fingers, so pritty much just a finger grip. Where possible I use this grip with the Fatgripz.

Shrugging the olympic bar I'd normally find 100KG easy to hold, I couldn't hang onto 80KG. Though this was the end of my workout. However holding onto something when your hand is half open isn't easy. Natural grip and I'll be good for 130KG+ (not amazing but shows a comparison).

They're especially good for arm isolation. High cable curls and particulary preacher curls I find them really effective especially with a false grip. Have yet to try some wrist or reverse curls but I expect them to be agony!

Wrist strength is also improving as the hands are tipped slightly further back in order to grip them properly. I've found for 'heavy' bench they make it a lot tougher. 100KG feels like 110KG to me with FatGripz on.

I tried my regular tripple superset (bi's & tri's) I usually do 2-3 sets and had to bail half way through the second set due to insane pump/fatigue.

They weigh 0.5KG together (0.52KG to be precise :p) if you wanted to include this in the weight of any exercises.

Well worth the money in my opinion. Let me know how you get on!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks a lot, I'll give 'em a proper go tomorrow. I tried some wide grip pull ups with them earlier and it was a lot harder than usual! Creatine arrived as well so I can start adding that to my shakes as of tomorrow as well.

Man of Honour
Just crossed my mind double underhand? must be a particular reason why it's uncommon? Incredibly hard? or bad spinal/scapula alignment?

I'm not certain but I'd have thought it would simply exacerbate the problem with alternating grip whereby your bicep (or biceps in this case) are put under a much higher strain than with a double overhand risking damage. This is just a guess from watching a couple of videos and what Freefaller has said about alternating grip so I could well have misinterpreted.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Just been working on my diet. Looking to gain muscle without gaining fat, if possible.

I know the diet needs work but I'm stumped so I thought you guys could help me out?

Thanks in advance!

(Cals/Protein/Carbs/Fat)

9:30am - Wake Up

10:00am - Breakfast (278/12.3g/40.0g/5.0g)
- 50g Porridge Oats (180/5.5g/30g/4.1g)
- 200ml Semi-Skimmed Milk (98/6.8g/10.0g/0.9g)

12:00am - Morning Snack (368/14.3g/37g/18.9g)
- Low Fat Natural Yoghurt (122/9.8g/14.0g/3.0g)
- 25g Hazelnuts (165/3.5g/2.0g/15.9g)
- Apple (81/1.0g/21.0g/0g)

14.00pm - Dinner (519/24.2g/83.8g/11.3g)
- Medium Jacket Potato (244/7.0g/57.0g/0.4g)
- Half Tin of Baked Beans (150/9.6g/26.8g/0.4g)
- 30g Cheese (125/7.6g/0g/10.5g)

16:00pm - Pre- Workout (638/43.6g/33g/23.8)
- 4 Whole Eggs (Scrambled) (280/28.0g/4.0g/20.0g)
- 3 W/meal Toast (162/2.0g/9.0g/2.1g)

16:30pm - TRAIN

18:00pm - Lunch (328/42.7g/30.6g/3.2g)
- 140g Chicken Breast (170/36.4g/0.1g/2.2g)
- 50g Wholemeal Pasta/50g Brown Rice (158/6.3g/30.5g/1.0g) (178/4.9g/37.0g/1.5g)
- Fresh Mixed Veg (Not a lot?)

20:30pm - Evening Snack (250/14.1g/23.0g/2.4g)
- 1 W/meal Toast (54/0.5g/3.0g/0.7g)

23:00 - Bed

Cals - 2,381
Protein - 151.2g
Carbs - 247.4g
Fat - 64.6g

imo few pointers:

defo a small whey shake as soon as you wake up / or some eggs

get rid of the baked beans at your 14:00 meal - have some tuna or prawns on the potatoe

cottage cheese/quark/scoop of protein in your pre bed meal

Man of Honour
OP
180kg overhand grip is great mate. well done.

cheers mate. Really hapy with it. 3rd set started to fail by the 4th rep so used hook grip instead which is ok. Hands are nicely callused today! :cool:

Really looking Towards more strongman. Startig to get my strength an fitness back with a vengence!

Aye, good stuff. I love double overhand if I fancy really smashing it. Though if I'm just trying to shift as much as possible alternating works best.

to be honest mixed is ok if your grip is strong and strength is ok. But youre putting a lot of stress on your bicep. I shouldn't think double underhand to be sensible Furthermore you'd have a lot less grip strength as the rotation of your wrist doesn't lend itself to optimal tendon tension and strength. Even when I use straps it's double overhand.

dun

dun

Soldato
I don't mix grip now for 2 main reasons. 1, no matter whether you alternate or not there will be slightly different loads balanced across the muscles slightly differently. But mainly there are some horrible accidents with underhand bicep tears so why risk it if over gives a little more safety?
eg:

Soldato
Furthermore you'd have a lot less grip strength as the rotation of your wrist doesn't lend itself to optimal tendon tension and strength.

I can feel the difference if I squeeze my hand into a fist as hard as I can (palm down) and then rotate it palm up to face the ceiling. Thanks for that. In theory supprinated B.O.R's should be tougher and work the forearm slightly more.

Erghhh that looks horrible. Makes me feel a bit sick. Thanks for that Dun!

Back
Top Bottom