• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI Confirms Grey Screen Issue, Promises Fix

Permabanned
He does actually have a point though, if it were NVidia we'd have a 5 page thread of ATI owners queuing up to stick the knife in, yet when AMD warrant criticism everybody just goes quiet and lets it slide or even go out of their way to defend them.

Complete double standards.

No we wouldn't.

Usually guys like you moan about ATi's hotfixes and say stuff like "lawl ATi need hotfixes because they can't get it right first time" then some one posts an nVidia hotfix and it's all "Cheers for the heads up, downloading it now". :confused:

Do you really think most of the whining is about nVidia? nVidiots are always moaning about ATi drivers and how "crap" they are then have a whinge when anyone says anything about nVidia.

When people slate nVidia here, it's generally for things MORE than drivers, you know, their dodgy business practises? Overpricing? Extreme arrogance? Countless failed mobile GPUs that they tried to cover up?

They're all worthy of moaning about, driver issues however aren't, as anyone who has ANY experience with computers SHOULD know just how temperamental drivers can be.

Every piece of hardware has driver issues at some point, those who whine about one company and ignore their beloved nVidia are the idiots to be honest.

Permabanned
Your saying if NV admitted to having an issue & said they were working on a fix, ATI owners would rush in to have ago at NV.

Its more likely for not admitting issues that NV gets attacked for & for NV users saying that non ever exist.

Exactly, "it's not us, it's everyone else" that's why people moan about nVidia, they've got a bad attitude.

Soldato
NV's rep has hit rock bottom through the most part of 2009, that's why they get so much stick, currently they look like a headless chicken with not much direction. ATI have direction and look like pros compared to NV's current amateur status.

Associate
He does actually have a point though, if it were NVidia we'd have a 5 page thread of ATI owners queuing up to stick the knife in, yet when AMD warrant criticism everybody just goes quiet and lets it slide or even go out of their way to defend them.

Complete double standards.

I am curious as to why you think only ATI owners would have a pop at Nvidia ?? - that statement in itself says plenty!

As it happens I don't really find either party to be so bad as to annoy me (I own both!) ... if the goal is to have everything 100% working on day 1 for 100% of users then we'd be years behind the curve and actually that is not representative of most things in life - especially something as unimportant as a graphics card! I for one appreciate the opportunity to get new tech asap whilst they sort out the issues along the way .... and long may it continue!

One way of making 100% function possible is to reduce the feature set to a bare minimum and slow innovation ... now that would really suck :(

Permabanned
I am curious as to why you think only ATI owners would have a pop at Nvidia ?? - that statement in itself says plenty!

As it happens I don't really find either party to be so bad as to annoy me (I own both!) ... if the goal is to have everything 100% working on day 1 for 100% of users then we'd be years behind the curve and actually that is not representative of most things in life - especially something as unimportant as a graphics card! I for one appreciate the opportunity to get new tech asap whilst they sort out the issues along the way .... and long may it continue!

One way of making 100% function possible is to reduce the feature set to a bare minimum and slow innovation ... now that would really suck :(

He's one of the local nVidia trolls, he'll **** off ATi all day and make things up, but as soon as some one mentions something negative (despite it being true) about nVidia, he'll have a moan and whinge about how everyone slags off nVidia but jump on people who say anything about ATi.

What's funny is that the majority of stuff people say about ATi is the same old regurgitated crap "poor drivers, poor hardware, it'll break soon after you buy it if the drivers don't go first".

Yet thinks "I'm getting fed up of nVidia's constant lying and rebranding" is inappropriate slagging-off of nVidia, and has the audacity to go on about double standards!

Currently, there's simply not much to moan about ATi about other than their cards being overpriced with poor availability, with nVidia there's simply loads of things to complain about, simple fact really.

To complain about nVidia to a lot of people makes you an ATi fanboy. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I can't be irritated by one company without having an irrational love for competing companies.

Soldato
i actually had my first grey screen last night playing modern warfare 2.

ive got a his radeon 5770 and is at stock speed's.

im not worried really as it is still in warranty and ati know about this so hopefully they will fix it.

Soldato
i actually had my first grey screen last night playing modern warfare 2.

ive got a his radeon 5770 and is at stock speed's.

im not worried really as it is still in warranty and ati know about this so hopefully they will fix it.

ive had the same problem on a 5850, now a 5770 and i guess i will again on my 5850 i receive tomorrow, i honestly dont think its hardware problems but is some bizzare conflict between some windows and other installed apps as its not a widespread problem or at least not everyone suffers from these, but im in too minds wether just to send the 5850 back before i use it

Permabanned
RIGHT GUYS!
MOST OF THESE CRASHES, including vertical lines are related to MEMORY CLOCKS>
Memory overclock cause this issue. And your usual burning-in programs wont make MEMORY lockups because very little memory is used.

1300Mhz for me causes vertical crash 1250Mhz no problems. Also raise PCI-EX to 105Mhz for further stability/

Soldato
RIGHT GUYS!
Memory overclock cause this issue. And your usual burning-in programs wont make MEMORY lockups because very little memory is used.

1300Mhz for me causes vertical crash 1250Mhz no problems. Also raise PCI-EX to 105Mhz for further stability/

I too think its related to ram in machines(or cpu OC), 1440 mhz on my memory causes it to suffer stripey screen yet 1600mhz xmp is fine.

It could also be related to the cpu as the memory controller is on it in mine.

Also wondering how many people that use xmp memory are experiencing this, or weather your not using xmp on your memory and getting the stripey screen.

Soldato
RIGHT GUYS!

Mine is at stock?

Associate
my 5870 has just been sent out from ocuk so with a bit of luck ill be able to report no problems tomorrow :p

this topic has suprised me, i knew there were fans of nvidia and fans of ati but i didnt realise it was this extreme :eek: i can sort of understand with consoles because of exclusives (even then its a bit over the top) but on pc we are all playing the same games :p

Permabanned
I have had no GSODs with 9.12 and one with 10.1 and several recoverable display driver crashes, pretty bummed about this cos I have been NV for the last 4 generations 6800GT,7900GTX,8800gtx and 280 series (skipped the 9's) and never had anything like these issues. I'll wait it out though as Nvidia are getting lazy and competition is good for the consumer, its just a hassle I'd rather not have. Still I havent had any gaming related issues oddly, just doing general computing

Associate
I have only encountered the vertical stripes once (but I'm running 5970 cards) and it occurred specifically when I was messing around with the sliders in the overdrive tab, so I assume it is related to overclocking, or rather non-default clocking.

I've also had a couple of hangs;

one black screen when playing a YouTube video, the other a hang on the desktop when the machine was left idling.

However, on both occasions I was using non-standard clock settings - I had the cores manually set to 550mhz (up from the usual 157mhz) with the memory left on 300mhz in 2D mode in order to avoid certain stability issues when running 2D applications, including the dreaded "ATIKMDAG stopped responding" aswell as audio crackle and picture breakup during video playback. Once again, these problems appear only to affect certain users.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=122942

Having manually set the memory to 900mhz in 2D mode (with the core still at 550) some three weeks ago, I have yet to see the issue again.

By the way, to anybody attempting the solution given in the thread linked to above, you might want to set your core speed to 550 (instead of the suggested 400) since this is the only way I was able to completely alleviate the issues in 2D mode.

It may be that this problem was and is simply a different manifestation of the issue being discussed here, therefor the workaround - or some variarions on it - could be worth trying.

Last edited:
Associate
i havent had this happen for a week or so, but i did move to Cat 10.1's as well as drop my Q6600 OC from 3.4 to 3.0 to see if it helped. ( 5870 at stock speeds, had this happen in Eyefinity or single screen )

so dont know if OC or driver related. am leaving as is until more news from ATI ..

Back
Top Bottom