Triple Channel Memory DDR3 PC3-12800

Associate
im buying some ram with my first ever system build and im looking at this type of memory. i cant really go far over £100 for it unless i lose something on other parts of the system. ill sort that out myself but i want to ask for some suggestions as to which brand i should go for. at the moment i am looking at the OCZ Obsidian kit (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-179-OC&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1389) and there was a Gold kit around but Overclockers seem to have taken the product down. i want some Corsair Dominator but at the moment its just a bit too much. in a nutshell: what memory should i be looking at in this range?

Associate
What's the rest of the system you're going for? You may be able to save money elsewhere!

If you're going triple channel, that means an i7. Do you need an i7? could you settle for an i5, which would possibly be cheaper overall?

If you don't even need that, an AMD setup would be cheaper still!

Associate
OP
ok here is my system build at the moment

shopping%20list.jpg

my budget is around 900 quid. so back to the question. what memory should i be looking at or should i keep the Obsidian?

Caporegime
You still want that motherboard? OEM cpu, you don't need heatsink?

That memory is decent for the price, triple channel kits are very expensive.

If you picked a asusP6T you could have your corsair.

Associate
OP
yep i discussed the p6t in my last post and ive read reviews about it and it doesnt do great overclocking which im being a bit ambitious about but i want to give it a go. the R2E looks to be an awesome board. anyway. as i said ill sort out what i change if im going to change the memory. so you reckon the dominator is good? any others a better deal/bang for buck than the obsidian?

edit: the H50 is my CPU cooler dont much care for stock coolers

Last edited:
Associate
That's the point - the retail CPU comes with another cooler, whereas the OEM one won't. I've got a R2E and I'd get a P6TDeluxe if I were buying again. Spend the extra on a better soundcard, perhaps.

Patriot Viper RAM costs about the same as the OCZ stuff, it was £118.99 when I got it a few weeks ago. You'll be fine with any 12800 kit.

You might want to get another fan for the H50, and a couple more for the case - that hardware will be pumping out a lot of heat and the R2 as it comes isn't great for airflow.

You might also want to add an 8-pin CPU power extension cable to your basket. I've got the same case/PSU/mobo combination and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to get the cable behind the motherboard tray without one.

Guessing you've already got HDD/ODD etc?

Associate
OP
well i dont need another cooler. i made this screen shot about a week ago but ive still got the same stuff in the basket.

ive had a look at the Patriot Viper and that looks good.

so do you reckon it would be better to get the P6TD? apparently it doesnt have as much headroom for overclocking and isnt as stable.

yep still looking at fans probs gonna get 4 apaches to stick in the cooling slots on the R2. and ill check for the H50.

thanks for the power extension advice ill get one.

yep got some SATA drives already.

well thanks guys i think i will stick with the OCZ for now

Caporegime
The only reviews I have seen of both boards is from custom pc.

That RampageII is truly awesome.

The P6T is hardly lacking in its ability to take a i7 to 4ghz without any voltage increase, when the voltages are tweaked you will need LN2 cooling before it runs out of ability.

Associate
OP
haha thanks for the link but im not under the impression that i7 needs triple channel im just thinking about the future and it would be nice to have 6gb from the start. im not just using this for gaming its also for music and video editing.

Back
Top Bottom