*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
I might give that a go. I have a history of not doing too great with heavy deadlifts though. When i try and push myself, all my legs shut off and my lower back takes over, gets injured, and then im out for a few weeks again!

I'm working on assisted glute ham raises to try and get my hams used to working their butt off. After DL/squat sessions i get serious DOMS in quads/glutes but hams/calves are fine. Hopefully the GH raise will transfer to aid my deadlift.

edit: just an idea of how bad my DL is. I'm 76kg. Bench 1RM = 95kg. Squat 1RM = 105kg. Deadlift 3RM = 120kg :/

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone recommend some good exercises for leg/hip flexibility, id like to do them on my off days to help aid recovery and technique on squats. I find when I get to working sets I tend to do a slight good morning instead of keeping my trunk up lol.

Im fairly sure my core strength is not the issue as I can deadlift a fair amount more than squat while maintaining good technique.

Also what is the common mistake for your wrists hurting during a squat? I guess its my shoulders not being flexible enough right?

Associate
if your not afraid try a class called BTS body balance (i guess most leisure centres do it) its yoga/pilaties (spelling?) and is a total killer for flexability/core strength.

although most gruff manly guys dislike being a chick filled class =P

edit: also what the hell is up with everyone DROPPING weights during deadlifts...jesus...control through the entire movement...yikes =/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Can anyone recommend some good exercises for leg/hip flexibility, id like to do them on my off days to help aid recovery and technique on squats. I find when I get to working sets I tend to do a slight good morning instead of keeping my trunk up lol.

Im fairly sure my core strength is not the issue as I can deadlift a fair amount more than squat while maintaining good technique.

Also what is the common mistake for your wrists hurting during a squat? I guess its my shoulders not being flexible enough right?

I'd agree it doesn't sound like a core issue, and very much a hip flexor, perhaps ab/adductor tightness? Do you do it with no weight on your back? Can you do perfect form doing a body weight arse to grass squat?

Never heard of aching wrists furing squats - are you trying to support the bar with your hands? It should just be resting on your shoulders/traps. That being said even with tight shoulders I don't see where the pressure might be. Maybe you've got the bar too low down your back?

Soldato
Ergonomics have a go at some SLDL. They should improve your hamstring activiation and flexability. Really push through your heels for both SLDL and regular DL.

At current my DL is 50KG heavier than my squat but my squats always been quite week in comparison to my other lifts. Not for much longer though! We've all got something to be working at.

Associate
I'd agree it doesn't sound like a core issue, and very much a hip flexor, perhaps ab/adductor tightness? Do you do it with no weight on your back? Can you do perfect form doing a body weight arse to grass squat?

Never heard of aching wrists furing squats - are you trying to support the bar with your hands? It should just be resting on your shoulders/traps. That being said even with tight shoulders I don't see where the pressure might be. Maybe you've got the bar too low down your back?

Yeah I can do a good form squat with anything upto probably 80% of my 5 rep max, thinking about it, I think it could be my wrists which make me lose concentration and therefore my technique goes abit.

I have the bar resting on the back of my delts where you can feel a little 'platform' to rest it, not any lower, there not aching, just feels like a lot of pressure on the bones.

Soldato
Delts?!

Trying to think about it. Most of thebar sits on my traps, I think.

Try not to have your hands too close together. Sometimes I'll have them nice and wide, other days a bit closer depends how my shoulders are feeling.

Associate
Delts?!

Trying to think about it. Most of thebar sits on my traps, I think.

Try not to have your hands too close together. Sometimes I'll have them nice and wide, other days a bit closer depends how my shoulders are feeling.

Indeed, they say delts provide the widest platform to rest the bar and therefore the most support, getting it low enough also helps with your centre of gravity while lifting, although not too low.

Me and my mate use the same sort of grip and yet he feels no pain/discomfort.

Soldato
I currently squat on a smith due to lack of equipment so can't comment on center of gravity though when I have squatted FW I remember having it in the same place.

Sometimes my shoulder will cramp getting into position from infront of the bar so I always come in from behind (ooo errr).

Try not to support the bar with your wrists. If anything I might even pull down on it slightly or just leave my hands hooked over.

Suspended
I've made a few changes to the last plan I posted, could someone cast their eye over it now?

I'm not keen on fish unfortunately, but I plan on taking fish oil caps. which will hopefully make up for it.

Am I taking in to much protein? Maybe one too many shakes?

(Cals/Protein/Carbs/Fat)

9:30am - Wake Up

10:00am - Breakfast (494/42.7g/51.8g/8.0g)
- 50g Porridge Oats (180/5.5g/30g/4.1g)
- 200ml Semi-Skimmed Milk (98/6.8g/10.0g/0.9g)
- Whey Protein Shake w/ 200ml S/S Milk (216/30.4g/11.8g/3.0g)

12:00am - Morning Snack (368/14.3g/37g/18.9g)
- Low Fat Natural Yoghurt (122/9.8g/14.0g/3.0g)
- 25g Hazelnuts (165/3.5g/2.0g/15.9g)
- Apple (81/1.0g/21.0g/0g)

14.00pm - Dinner (401/20.4g/57.3g/11.8g)
- Medium Jacket Potato (244/7.0g/57.0g/0.4g)
- 35g Cooked Wafer Thin Ham (32/5.8g/0.3g/0.9g)
- 30g Cheese (125/7.6g/0g/10.5g)

16:00pm - Pre- Workout (638/43.6g/33g/23.8)
- 4 Whole Eggs (Scrambled) (280/28.0g/4.0g/20.0g)
- 3 W/meal Toast (162/2.0g/9.0g/2.1g)
- 400ml Semi-Skimmed Milk (196/13.6g/20.0g/1.7g)

16:30pm - TRAIN

Post-Training Shake (216/30.4g/11.8g/3.0g)

18:30pm - Lunch (328/42.7g/30.6g/3.2g)
- 140g Chicken Breast (170/36.4g/0.1g/2.2g)
- 50g Wholemeal Pasta/50g Brown Rice (158/6.3g/30.5g/1.0g) (178/4.9g/37.0g/1.5g)
- Fresh Mixed Veg (Not a lot?)

21:00pm - Evening Snack (250/14.1g/23.0g/2.4g)
- 1 W/meal Toast (54/0.5g/3.0g/0.7g)
- 400ml Semi-Skimmed Milk (196/13.6g/20.0g/1.7g)

22:00 - Pre-Bed Shake (216/30.4g/11.8g/3.0g)

23:00 - Bed

Cals - 2,911
Protein - 238.6g
Carbs - 256.3g
Fat - 74.1g

Man of Honour
OP
How much do you weigh fuzion and how much do you train? My initial reaction, is you probably don't need that much protein, but well done on keeping the carbs low that's good work.

Soldato
I've made a few changes to the last plan I posted, could someone cast their eye over it now?

I'm not keen on fish unfortunately, but I plan on taking fish oil caps. which will hopefully make up for it.

Am I taking in to much protein? Maybe one too many shakes?

(Cals/Protein/Carbs/Fat)

9:30am - Wake Up

God I'm jealous I'm up at 5:30 every bloody day what with work/baby.

Make the most of it :D

Suspended
Don't be haters guys :D I intend to make the most of my free time while I can!

I currently weigh roughly 170lbs and I'm 5'10. At the moment all I do is running/swimming with minimal weight work with no set routine. This will be changing when the diet starts though.

Thanks for any help!

Man of Honour
OP
If you're not ripping yourself to pieces at the gym then I think you're not likely to need that much - but on a good hard routine wiht decent volume that would be a nice place to start, though you'll probably end up eating lots more! :D

Soldato
currently squat on a smith due to lack of equipment so can't comment on center of gravity though when I have squatted FW I remember having it in the same place.
benny's comments have reminded me of a question i would like to ask:

Anybody ever tried a inclined 80-85 degree squat to isolate the hamstrings on a smith machine: I must admit I don't like the look of it and the way my luck has been with injuries lately I am not too inclined (no pun intended) to try it just yet, if ever? Love one arm barbell curls to suppliment my routine though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Incline squat looks a bit wierd :confused:

If you want to isolate the hamstrings I'd very highly recommend Stiff Legged Deadlifts. Probaly one of my favourite exercises. I don't get on with leg curl machines and have been doing these for a few months and they are superb. I've had much better hamstring development since.

Soldato
This might seem a little weird, but bear with me! I'm under the impression that my torso, in comparison with the rest of my body, is very short. From centre belly button to centre nipple, I measure 6.25". Note that's vertical height to where my nipple would be if it was in the centre of my chest! At 5' 8" it seems pretty short. My house mate, who's the same height as me, has a good inch or 2 over me.

Unfortunately it seems my torso isn't large enough to fit all of my organs in properly! Even with low-ish body fat, it can look like I have a big-ish belly. I imagine with a low body fat, having defined abs on what looks like a fat belly would look quite odd!

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of guys around 5' 8" could do a quick measure out of curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom