*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Incline squat looks a bit wierd
They certainly do and I suppose if you were to slip you would fall with the bar behind you. I think the person I saw doing them must have picked it up from men's fitness or something like that as it has that kind of a "feel" about it. Yeah stiff legged deadlifts are an option.

Associate
Mansize_tissue said:
Anyway, I was just wondering if any of guys around 5' 8" could do a quick measure out of curiosity
Is a bit weird, but always happy to help! I'm 5'8" and 9"...from belly button to mid-nippage

Suspended
This might seem a little weird, but bear with me! I'm under the impression that my torso, in comparison with the rest of my body, is very short. From centre belly button to centre nipple, I measure 6.25". Note that's vertical height to where my nipple would be if it was in the centre of my chest! At 5' 8" it seems pretty short. My house mate, who's the same height as me, has a good inch or 2 over me.

Unfortunately it seems my torso isn't large enough to fit all of my organs in properly! Even with low-ish body fat, it can look like I have a big-ish belly. I imagine with a low body fat, having defined abs on what looks like a fat belly would look quite odd!

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of guys around 5' 8" could do a quick measure out of curiosity.

I measure at roughly 11" (ohh err!) from mid-nipple to belly button.

If you're not ripping yourself to pieces at the gym then I think you're not likely to need that much - but on a good hard routine wiht decent volume that would be a nice place to start, though you'll probably end up eating lots more! :D

I think I'll half the amount of whey and milk in my shakes and see how that goes.

dun

dun

Soldato
Shoulder subluxed again last night, doing pullups this time. Cannot believe it. Just as I was feeling good and strong I get this **** again...

Soldato
Bummer. It's a horrible feeling.

I felt mine partially go when I was doing some close grip push ups to finish off tri's after a chest session. Akward angle for the arm/humerus in the socket.

Had it been fairly stable up until now? What kind of RC work have you been doing?

dun

dun

Soldato
I don't have a sports physio no. Up until it happened it was feeling great, I thought back to 100% but obviously I was wrong :p I did these exercises last time once my rom had mostly returned:

I haven't done them since Christmas though and just been warming up with the last part of the video.

Soldato
Nasty - Hope it gets better dude :(

I'd appreciate any input I can get on my situation. Training has been coming down to 1/2days a week over the past 3 weeks.

I've done a lot to prioritise my workload and commitments. I understand its not meant to be easy. I've made a decision to do only what's within my remit. I will be compromising what I've worked for and I understand the consequences. I'd like to look after the muscle mass I've gained and minimise loss/strength. As my calorie expenditure will now be less - I will just eat below maintenance and try to stick to a more time efficient regime.

I'd appreciate any input from people who have faced similar dilemmas :)

Soldato
Yeah I use those as a warm up whenever doing any upperbody work after some mobilisation with elbow circles, shrugs, elbow flexes etc.

http://www.esnpro.co.uk/rotator-cuff-video-t2980.html

I've found that quite a useful thread, might find something that works for you in there. On my RC days I've just been doing some internal & external rotations on the cable pulleys. Dead light, like 3KG or so otherwise the delts will take over.

Man of Honour
This might seem a little weird, but bear with me! I'm under the impression that my torso, in comparison with the rest of my body, is very short. From centre belly button to centre nipple, I measure 6.25". Note that's vertical height to where my nipple would be if it was in the centre of my chest! At 5' 8" it seems pretty short. My house mate, who's the same height as me, has a good inch or 2 over me.

Unfortunately it seems my torso isn't large enough to fit all of my organs in properly! Even with low-ish body fat, it can look like I have a big-ish belly. I imagine with a low body fat, having defined abs on what looks like a fat belly would look quite odd!

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of guys around 5' 8" could do a quick measure out of curiosity.

Around 5'7 and 8.5", although I have midget legs and therefore most of my little hight comes from my upper body :)

Associate
Yeah I use those as a warm up whenever doing any upperbody work after some mobilisation with elbow circles, shrugs, elbow flexes etc.

http://www.esnpro.co.uk/rotator-cuff-video-t2980.html

I've found that quite a useful thread, might find something that works for you in there. On my RC days I've just been doing some internal & external rotations on the cable pulleys. Dead light, like 3KG or so otherwise the delts will take over.

Thanks for that Dun/Benny, been looking for something just like this. Only recently started training properly and can already feel a slight tightness/twitch in my left shoulder. It also aches badly at random points through out some days so these should help!

Man of Honour
OP
I do a lot of rotator cuff work - it's critical IMO. Helps lots with strength development too IMO. I have some good exercises my physio has offered me (most of them you can do from home). Too many people neglect RC work.

Soldato
Anybody got 2 excercises for shoulders with just one dumbell. I have the weight, but not a barbell. I can't get to the gym tonight so want to blast my shoulders at home. Thanks.

Man of Honour
Anybody got 2 excercises for shoulders with just one dumbell. I have the weight, but not a barbell. I can't get to the gym tonight so want to blast my shoulders at home. Thanks.

From Exrx you could also do Arnolds or possibly front raises.

There's another exercise that one of my mates showed me which involves lying on a bench, arms at full stretch holding the dumbbell starting above the head and lowering your arms to about in line with your head or just below. The weight should then go between just out of your vision to back in line with your head and repeat that for however many you're doing. This would be a whole lot easier if I knew what the exercise is called but it always seemed quite effective to me.

//edit it's a dumbbell pullover although I would do it lying on the bench rather than resting against it. It's also not a shoulder workout specifically but it's quite good to do with just one dumbbell which is why I initially thought of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom