Wise to buy a new TV now?

Soldato
Afternoon chaps,

A friend of mine is in the market for a new TV with a budget of about £1000. Is he wise to buy now or wait a few months for the 2010 ranges to come through and the whole 3DTV thing?

Associate
Personally I Think you could be waiting forever. Once 3DTV comes out, then there will be updates to it etc etc etc

£1000 is a pretty decent sum for a TV however, so I would look for a TV that you actually want, then just hunt around for a deal for it til you get one.

I was in the same position with myself. I had £600 and was debating waiting for a bit longer. Saw a really decent TV and decided I want it. Got it down to £550, fiddled around a bit more, and managed to get myself a lovely 40" TV with a 5yr warranty for £500. :)

tl;dr find a bargain.

Associate
i popped into my local comet just for the usual man browse and walked out with a lovely 46 inch toshiba lcd for £699 on a managers special and got 12 months interest free credit

Permabanned
If I was looking for a new TV I would wait

Why ?
1. DVB-T2 , new freeview HD format , would want the tv to have this
2. DVB-S2 , satalite HD format , would like tv to have this also.

I wont be getting a new one until these are on the tv

Soldato
Depends if he wants a 3D compatible TV. Personally i have no interest at all in 3D, seems like a massive gimmick to me and should stay were it belongs in the cinema.

I'd buy one now, you can wait forever for new tech to come out, only for something newer to come out the next day.

Soldato
Depends if he wants a 3D compatible TV. Personally i have no interest at all in 3D, seems like a massive gimmick to me and should stay were it belongs in the cinema.

I'd buy one now, you can wait forever for new tech to come out, only for something newer to come out the next day.

With their release so close why not wait and see? That's my plan anyway, if it is a gimmick then no harm done! But, if it is good then you could end up kicking yourself!!!

Soldato
I dunno how soon they are coming out, so if they are soon then yea wait, but I wouldn't wait just for 3D.

The prices will be ridiculous on first release and more than likely be buggy or have bad PQ, as always with new tech. It's better to wait and not buy 1st gen stuff.

Associate
If I was looking for a new TV I would wait

Why ?
1. DVB-T2 , new freeview HD format , would want the tv to have this
2. DVB-S2 , satalite HD format , would like tv to have this also.

I wont be getting a new one until these are on the tv

Surely you can just get a box for it?

Associate
Surely you can just get a box for it?
That's what I'd do. It will be a while until you can get DVB-T2 built-in and there will definitely be a price premium.

It would probably work out cheaper to by a TV without it and just by a box a few months later, especially since there may be some good deals to be had on 'obsolete' models.

Soldato
OP
I am a bit in the dark about all this 3D lark. It really doesn't appeal to me to start off with like HD does. Is Blu-ray 3D going to be a new platform and replace existing Blu-rays? With 3D remakes of everything popping up a bit like HD versions of everything with original Blu-rays? Or will it just be a sideshow.

Associate
Ther is a extended standard for Blu-Ray 3D. As far as I know most players will not be compatible with some exceptions which can be patched notable the PS3 I think.

I'd be suprised if they go back and re-do old films. I've seen examples of stuff filmed in 2D with the 3D added on later and it doesn't look very good.

Associate
Yeah , Like my living room needs another external box like I need a hole in the head

Last time I looked you need a hole in the head to eat and breathe out of, not to mention listening with ;)

But seriously, if it saves you a massive wad of money, imo its worth it. The tv's with it integrated are going to cost a fortune.

DiG

DiG

Associate
I read that the new 3D blu-ray standard is going to just be an extension, ie if you put a 3D disc in a 2D player, you will get a normal 2D image, put the same disc in a 3D player and you get the full 3D affect?

Associate
I read that the new 3D blu-ray standard is going to just be an extension, ie if you put a 3D disc in a 2D player, you will get a normal 2D image, put the same disc in a 3D player and you get the full 3D affect?
Future players will be compatible with 2D discs, anything else would be insanity.

I assume that the 3D version of films will come as a seperate disc/special edition, partly for capacity reasons but mainly so they can charge a nice, juicy price premium! :)

Back
Top Bottom