• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E2140 Clocking

Soldato
I have an E2140 1.6Ghz currently @ 2.8Ghz. Im using a Scythe heatsink and 120mm fan. When I take it to 3ghz i get random freezes. 2.8ghz runs orthos fine at low temperatures (i only tested once but i think it didnt hit 50c)

Memtest86 passes with individual sticks but freezes when both are in at 3ghz. At 2.8ghz memtest runs fine with both in

Memory is 2 x 1GB OCZ 6400 Plat series DDR2 800 dual channel

The memory is at the highest volts the motherboard allows (xfx 650i ultra) I have the memory running at 809mhz with the default optimal settings

Anyone know how i could get the chip clocked higher, im almost sure the cpu will allow it

Soldato
OP
damn 3.6! Yeh im sure its the memory. I have the settings on unlinked at the moment. Does anyone know what sort of settings the ocz would need. I have left on optimal as the 'expert' settings scare me

Man of Honour
If the memory is only running at 809mhz i can't see that being the problem unless the timings are wrong. If this is your memory then it does 4-4-4-15 @ 1.9-2.1v. What voltage are you giving the cpu? I had a E2140 that did 3.6Ghz with 1.472v.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thats the memory. Memory is running at 2.1v, ill check the voltage of the cpu and move it up to 1.472 if possible

Soldato
OP
Should i try turning the hypertransport down to 4x from 5x? Its currently on 5x for two different options. I have it at 2.9ghz, when i run orthos temps are 29c idle and 54c max (15 minutes of orthos)

Soldato
OP
I dont get it, I have it clocked at 2900mhz but cpu z is reporting 362 x 6, 2172mhz. My computer info shows 2.9ghz

Vcore is 1.475.

HT multiplier nforce SSP - nforce MCP are both on 5x

8x multiplier
FSB (QDR) MHZ 1450
800mhz on the memory, unlinked

This gives 2.9ghz. If i try for 3ghz it doesnt play games. I have tried raising the vcore, clackening the timings on the memory and just with one stick.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You have speedstep enabled in the bios which is why the speed keeps dropping. You need to disable EIST, C1E and speedstep to stop this happening. Disable the spread spectrums in the bios as well. 1.475v is a hell of a lot of voltage for only 2.9Ghz. Have you tried increasing the NB voltage?

Soldato
Try power management menu for C1E and EIST / speedstep. These options basically down clock and volts your CPU to the lowest multi to save power.

C1E does it at a halt instruction to the CPU, and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech) does it in finer increments and below certain CPU workloads so is a bit more intelligent.
I'd recommend using it to be honest as it all helps on saving electricity cost if the computer is idle or not working very hard. Whenever any workload is put on the CPU is just will instantly use the higher multi clocking back up to your high clock, i.e.

300 FSB x 6 = 1.8ghz
300 FSB x 9 = 2.7ghz

A lot of people on forums will tell you to turn it straight off when overclocking as it can affect stability. Whilst this is true - it can - it depends if you want to run with it on or not. What some people find is that speedstep can affect stability at idle, as some motherboards don't compensate for your overvolt when running down clocked at the lower multi. I have this problem currently with my quad core q6600. If I turn speedstep on and keep my clock at 400 x 9 = 3.6ghz I can pass prime tests overnight and run stress tests all day long and it will pass fine. But then occasionally at idle it will lock up because even running at lower 6 x multi it's still 2.4ghz which uses the stock 1.225 vcore; it would normally be 300 x 6 = 1.8ghz (I think)
So I either turn speedstep off or just wind my clock down to 3.51ghz and all is good.

You also need to account for vdroop. This is where the voltage you set for the CPU in the BIOS might be say 1.45v but in windows monitoring utilities they are reported as say 1.39v under load. This is due to vdroop and sometimes you have to up the voltage to compensate.

You also mentioned northbridge voltage. You may well need to up that to maintain stability. In fact, this looks a particularly good candidate for your stability issues, as this will affect memory stability as well. check you rmemory is running at the right volts. Too many volts can often be worse than too little. Try slackening the timings and keeping it running below spec with multipliers to eliminate the memory being the bottleneck if possible. i.e. Find out the highest your CPU will go first.

I have a e2180 that just came out of my PC waiting to be sold actually. It did 3.4-3.6ghz but I ran it 24/7 at 3.2ghz with 1.35v I seem to recall.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks, informative and easy to read post. I think I have northbridge voltage on its highest the board supports. Memory is on 2.1V, the memory is rated at 2.1V.

Sounds more like this speed step thing is to blame. CPUz mhz are all over the place, jumping from 2100 - 2900 when it feels like it. Not sure whether this is accurate or not.

I'll have a look later for a speedstep option but im sure i havent seen one in the BIOS. Maybe it needs turning off somewhere else?

Edit - I should be getting a Q6600 in the next day or 2. I guess speedstep will effect this in the same way so i need to find how to turn it off

Soldato
Thanks, informative and easy to read post. I think I have northbridge voltage on its highest the board supports. Memory is on 2.1V, the memory is rated at 2.1V.

Sounds more like this speed step thing is to blame. CPUz mhz are all over the place, jumping from 2100 - 2900 when it feels like it. Not sure whether this is accurate or not.

I'll have a look later for a speedstep option but im sure i havent seen one in the BIOS. Maybe it needs turning off somewhere else?

Edit - I should be getting a Q6600 in the next day or 2. I guess speedstep will effect this in the same way so i need to find how to turn it off

What mobo do you have? Some motherboards may not have the explicit option to turn it off (although I would think this would be rare). Try changing your windows power profile (control panel > power options) to use Home Office / Desk if it is not already selected, as this can sometimes turn speedstep off. If you select portable / laptop it WOULD use it. However, I find with my mobo that Windows XP will not override what is set in the BIOS anyway so this may not affect you either.

Back
Top Bottom