20th Century fox vs Newzbin

Permabanned
They need to stop battling piracy and just release an easier, decently priced alternative.

Steam has singlehandedly triumphed in the pc market for the gaming side of it.

Now we need something like steam for movies (high def and standard), tv shows (high def and standard) and music (lossless and selection of lossy)

25p per song
1 quid per episode (deals for full series)
2.50 per film

a pound to watch a 45minute tv episode??? I wouold be skint within a month!

Associate
Here's an idea for the pirates: Buy films.

Here's an idea for the movie studios: Allow download of HQ movies for a decent price.

True, whos gonna buy a 7 quid film off itunes which is average quality, has drm and can only be downloaded once. Apple are a joke and should take a leaf out of amazons rainforest.

Steam is such a good idea but the games are massively over priced.

Soldato
It's certainly going to be interesting to watch piracy and it's many guises as the current young generation very attuned to it's use become the older generation. On this site it's not uncommon for middle-aged folk :)p) to be familiar with piracy, even if they don't partake in the practice themselves. But you don't need to be a PC enthusiast anymore to download copyright material, and soon those people will be the elder, with just more informed youngsters taking their place.

How far will we see a movie/music companies profits drop before something pivotal happens? Will they see the inevitable coming and launch a pre-emptive strike? Or succumb to greed and ride out the old ways as long as possible?

Man of Honour
I use newsgroups but i've never used newzbin, mainly because i already pay for usenet connectivity, i don't wan tto pay to search it, besides, there are literally hundreds of other free nzb sites.

And that's beside the point that only about 20% of Usenet has NZBs.
Yes you can search for individual files but most people want the work done for them and don't know what they're missing out on.
I personally look for PAR files because all the information is there and probably 80% of Usenet does come with PAR files.

Soldato
They're actually so much easier to use and get content from, far ahead of any torrent service and plus, you're more likely to get exactly what you're looking for instead of a fake/virus.

After using newsgroups for a year after using some very good private bittorrent sites I still believe this to be incorrect. A private bittorrent site is much more likely to contain good content (no virus) because people value their accounts at these sites. Bittorrent is also much better with high quality (and rare) music.

The industry need to make content available online, preferably for a subscription service containing all you can eat TV, Film and music that I can transfer to my offline media devices.

I'd love to know how PAR files are able to repair broken files. :(

Man of Honour
Private torrent sites are all fine but it does carry risks, something that pay for newsgroups do not.

SSL for instance, I don't know of a torrent tracker that currently offers secure connectivity, yes it's closed off from the public but should the tracker get shut down like many have in the past your details are still logged no?

You also need to await for high speed seeds to connect to in order to get a decent speed - usually this is fine for popular stuff as you connect to hundreds of seeds quickly...not so with older stuff though.

Also to keep your seed/leech ratio good you must continue uploading your download to equalise, something those of us in the UK don't always want to do due to our pitiful upload speeds - what takes us minutes to download will take tens of hours to days to upload for example because maxing the upload rate will kill latency and net access for the whole of your connection.

Last edited:
Soldato
They're actually so much easier to use and get content from, far ahead of any torrent service and plus, you're more likely to get exactly what you're looking for instead of a fake/virus.

1) TPB is rediculously easy to use, takes all of 30's for me to find what i want

2) I have honestly say i have never once got a fake or a virus. And i have clicked on 1000's of torrents

Man of Honour
That doesn't excuse the fact that Torrent sites are littered with fakes and viruses whereas newsgroups are not. There are fakes yes but they're nowhere near common like they are on torrents.

Soldato
That doesn't excuse the fact that Torrent sites are littered with fakes and viruses whereas newsgroups are not. There are fakes yes but they're nowhere near common like they are on torrents.

I still disagree. There are loads of poor quality videos and passworded protected RARs on usenet (go to this site to find the password. Go away!!!) Especially on private sites there are often rules on quality and people value their accounts.

For the record, IMO

Private BT sites > usenet > ... > public trackers

Soldato
I can't see how Newzbin will get in trouble for the service they provide. Yes the service they provide does in some way affect the way in which illegal software/media is distributed but at the same time they are just the directory inquiries of hax. They aren't directly responsible for the distribution of copyrighted materials.

Might be an idea to go after the people who distribute/upload the stuff which would nip it in the bud far quicker. However, easier said than done. Someone else will always pop up and start where the others left off. Similar to people pointing out that there are plenty of alternatives to Newzbin already available anyway...

For the record, I believe MRK has hit the nail with torrent .vs. newsgroups. The overall speed, retention, usability and 'saftey' aspects of newsgroup providers far outweigh anything a torrent site is able offer in terms of service, even the private ones.

Soldato
I still disagree. There are loads of poor quality videos and passworded protected RARs on usenet (go to this site to find the password. Go away!!!) Especially on private sites there are often rules on quality and people value their accounts.

For the record, IMO

Private BT sites > usenet > ... > public trackers

If you use an indexing site though you can ignore passworded files etc

Soldato
OP
The thread is getting derailed a bit please try and keep it on track no one cares how much you dl or anything.

It seems the general opinion is that people would be happy with a legit service of sorts ala steam, which I can see working quite well.

Who ever said it would hurt retail sales hmmmm im not so sure. You have to consider the techincally minded people with a bit of know how would be able to dl the movie instead of getting it from a store. Where as the older generation and those without the net would still be able to buy it the old fashioned way.

I think it would probably boost sales, when you take into consideration the cost of getting a dvd out with the packaging/costs sending it to stores so on if people could do without all of that it would mean studios have less to pay out?

There isnt much of an update on this story today btw

"Today's update is very brief - cross examination of the MPA's witnesses has now finished. Questioning of Newzbin witnesses has started; Freaky first followed by Caesium. We can't say any more at this time due to witness rules. More information hopefully tomorrow".

Man of Honour

I've been using Usenet since it began and all I can say is 'Thank whatever God for NOD'.
Usenet is crowded with fake files, viruses, trojans and malware - so much that I have a directory called 'virus' that links me to 6 directories where files end up and STARTER which looks to see if they've gone in my startup files.
More fool me but I like to mess about and try stuff.

Back
Top Bottom