PC making odd noise

Associate
Hi All

I have just re wired my PC, and it is now making a mono tonal beep.

This seems to be coming from around the PSU/Sound Card.

The sound card has a red light lit underneath it, I do not know if that was there before the re wire or not. Sound Card is a creative soundblaster gamer edition.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
*Obvious of the stated*
Well you have wired it up wrong then haven't you.
Strip it out & do it again, Slowly & Properly before it blows you & your mum & her pet dog up & half the state of California !!!

Associate
Sounds like the graphics card not receiving enough power. Treble check the connections, maybe remove he sound car altogether to see if th noise is still present

Associate
OP
cheers guys.

Chris, its sort of a medium pitch, and comes on as soon as the PC is turned on

I THINK it might be a fan alarm.

The bios does not recognise all the fans as being on, but they all are.

Any ideas what a connection for that would look like so i can double check it?

Also, there is a blue light flashing on the front panel of my Antec 900

Associate
OP
right, I THINK i have narrowed it down to the speaker connector on the F-Panel.

There was what i think was a blanking cable on it (it was on the Mboard, but didnt go to anything, just a little 'ball' on the end of it) looked like this
pctnahled.640-085.1.jpg

I have taken this off and now the noise is gone.

However in the BIOS, it is only showing one fan as being active, and thats labelled as System Fan 1.

The fans are ALL on, and the temperatures are looking ok.

My ram is recognised as it was before, and CPU is running as normal.

Last edited:
Associate
right, I THINK i have narrowed it down to the speaker connector on the F-Panel.

There was what i think was a blaking cable on it (it was on the Mboard, but didnt go to anything, just a little 'ball' on the end of it)

I have taken this off and now the noise is gone.

However in the BIOS, it is only showing one fan as being active, and thats labelled as System Fan 1.

The fans are ALL on, and the temperatures are looking ok.

My ram is recognised as it was before, and CPU is running as normal.

system fan 1 is usually the cpu so thats good. and unless your fans are wired to the mobo, then they wont show up as attached

Associate
OP
from what i gathered when wiring it all, the fans were all attached by 4 pin molex connections coming from the PSU.

I didnt notice anything that should have gone to the mobo, and didnt see anything left to be plugged in.

I suppose no noise and a working PC would IMPLY that its all good?

Associate
from what i gathered when wiring it all, the fans were all attached by 4 pin molex connections coming from the PSU.

I didnt notice anything that should have gone to the mobo, and didnt see anything left to be plugged in.

I suppose no noise and a working PC would IMPLY that its all good?
if the fans were only connected with molex then there will be nothing in the bios to show about those fans. All those molex connectors provide is power, no data feedback, and no way for the data to get to the mobo either!

Caporegime
Did I just read correctly? To stop the warning noise you decided to disconnected the pc speaker?

If you were driving a car, and the oil light came on, would you just pull the dash light out and ignore it?

Associate
OP
well, no, because if I was driving my car, I would know what it was, in this case, I didnt!

Cheers Joey, I'll look for what I have missed :)

Would it help if i could get a video of the noise, to help people work out what it is?

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like the no-PCI-e alarm to me, but hey, if the card is working ok...

Try going into the BIOS when the computer boots (should tell you which key - normally F2 or Del) and look for alarms around not having a CPU fan plugged in/spinning.

Associate
OP
was just going out when I posted that, was hoping someone could be arsed to do it for me. haha

I have had another look in the PC, mainly at the fans and connectors, as I think thats the main problem...

The only wires coming from the fans are 2 pin molex connectors, nothing else, so I cant see a way of getting them onto the mobo :(

Soldato
Did I just read correctly? To stop the warning noise you decided to disconnected the pc speaker?

Now Ive heard it all now:eek: dumb...Its like the guy a few years ago, who disconnected something in his pc and left the wire bare, and then wonders why 5mins later its caught fire.

or

Someone unscrewed something while the pc was on and the screwdriver slipped and shorted out the pc....dumb dumb and even dumber..:D

Associate
was just going out when I posted that, was hoping someone could be arsed to do it for me. haha

I have had another look in the PC, mainly at the fans and connectors, as I think thats the main problem...

The only wires coming from the fans are 2 pin molex connectors, nothing else, so I cant see a way of getting them onto the mobo :(
well they dont need to be on the mobo, i have 3 case fans with molex connectors that just run!

Associate
if it says DDR18V fail, that suggests memory! try looking at that kind of area... is all of your RAM being identified by the system? If there's a RAM slot failure, it may well beep at you for this.

Try reseating the RAM... and put that speaker back on so you know when there's a fault!

Back
Top Bottom