• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GF100 Cards Finally Named: GTX 480 & GTX 470

Permabanned
360 and 380 were speculative guesses at what the naming scheme would be.

How can speculative guesswork, made by the enthusiast community, amount to some sort of prelude to a scam? Thread needs more logical thinkers (sorry ATi advocates, but you just aren't good at this) and less fretful tinfoil worries over what is, literally, nothing.

It's got nothing to do with fanboyism.

Anyone is going to think it's weird that they're completely skipping a whole number.

Add that to the fact that nVidia have a reputation for rebranding, plus the only current 3 series card being a rebrand of a 2 series one (GT310).

How do you wonder where people's assumptions are coming from?

Man of Honour
360 and 380 were speculative guesses at what the naming scheme would be.

How can speculative guesswork, made by the enthusiast community, amount to some sort of prelude to a scam? Thread needs more logical thinkers (sorry ATi advocates, but you just aren't good at this) and less fretful tinfoil worries over what is, literally, nothing.

While I can't recall a single instance of nVidia using 360/380 publicly this is what they were referred to - and I assume the name nVidia gave - by several companies, journalists, etc. who have actually dealt with the cards.

Permabanned
While I can't recall a single instance of nVidia using 360/380 publicly this is what they were referred to - and I assume the name nVidia gave - by several companies, journalists, etc. who have actually dealt with the cards.

Didn't you mention something about the benchmarks that were released being the gtx360 as that was the name moniker on the benchmarks?
This naming convention was beyond the joke 6 months ago, yet more BS keeps flowing out'a Santa Clara.

I just get the impression their marketing dep. is all over the place and have forgotten which way is up.

Last edited:
Associate
maybe the jump to 4xx is like the intel tick tock thing, but with an nvidia rebranding? (hehe cudnt resist) 3xx might be more efficient or something 2xx series cards, and as previously mentioned, leaving the 4xx to be the true DX11 cards without non DX11 fluffing it all up. 5xx series will be die shrinks or more efficient or something, and the 6xx to collide with ATI for the next cards

Associate
And then 7xx cards will be GF100 chips where they actually get the yields about right? These rebrands are designed to hit the pocket of the people who haven't got a clue. 3xx series OEM cards means people buying a £1000 Dell or something are going to think they have a decent chip, while i doubt any of the 3xx series are even going to be powerful enough to beat my GTX260.

Yes, I know i have an nVidia card, and I always have... but next time i buy a PC, i'm going AMD completely. nVidia are falling behind! I'll just have to make sure i can still run an AMD card with an nVidia card set to physX... I do like physX.

Caporegime

AS you said, I think it was a 380/360gtx for a long time, last gen cards were the 280/260gtx, unless you change the name completely to a new scheme. So calling them a Giraffe 90 and Zebra 80, then the basic naming convention would be to move it up a generation to a 380/360.

I really think its a case of making the decision to move their low end to 3xx cards so they can have an entire 3xx series range available at some point throughout 2010.

The problem I reckon happened when they brought in faster mobile parts. The newer dx10.1 40nm parts weren't capable of being fast and low power, so they went back to a previous gen for the faster "new" mobile parts. Which rather ruined their entire 3xx series line up. Because they both had to push the numbers all they way to 360(albeit GTS's, but the general public gets 360, and ignores the rest) and had to drop the mobile parts all to dx10 so the lower end parts didn't look better than the "new" high end parts.

AT that stage they'd used up to many numbers, points and different feature sets from what is basically a mix of the last 3 generations of parts all in one lineup.

I think at that point they just decided they'd better move up to 4xx series for branding because, frankly, they need the space in terms of branding.

I wouldn't be surprised to see everything from a 395-350gtx's, and a range of GTS models also, all off the 3billion transistor core, then you've got the cut down parts(if they make it this year). Fitting them all into the 3xx series lineup, as it is now, is just not possible.

If Nvidia simply ran into this situation blindly as per usual, or they wanted to have an excuse to try and make their new stuff sound even better than it was going to, who the heck knows.

Associate
30w9vlf.png

lmao. thats acturaly brilliant xD

Associate
This is going to be such an amazing card, its performance will be unrivalled, nvidia have always delivered the fastest and latest technology first.
I truly hope it comes in at a price that's accessible to all people, and I hope nvidia continue to take market share from ati, they truly deserve to be in the market leading position that they currently occupy.

Does he work for Nvidia? Is this another snippet of information to keep us on tender hooks?

:D

Back
Top Bottom